-   -   Glibc versions (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/139430-glibc-versions.html)

stan 08-07-2008 09:27 PM

Glibc versions

I am trying to build 2.6.0p1 on a Ubuntu machine. As far as I know this
machine is the latest version of Ubuntu. The configure script fails on the
check for glibc version 2.2.0 or newer. I am curious if this version of
glibc is so new that it would not be in the Ubuntu stable release yet?

programs.

Rashkae 08-07-2008 09:37 PM

Glibc versions

stan wrote:
> I am trying to build 2.6.0p1 on a Ubuntu machine. As far as I know this
> machine is the latest version of Ubuntu. The configure script fails on the
> check for glibc version 2.2.0 or newer. I am curious if this version of
> glibc is so new that it would not be in the Ubuntu stable release yet?

No, my Gutsy system is at libc version 2.6

You need to install the libc-dev package. (Actually, you really should
install the build-essentials package)

"Dustin J. Mitchell" 08-07-2008 10:50 PM

Glibc versions

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> I am trying to build 2.6.0p1 on a Ubuntu machine. As far as I know this
> machine is the latest version of Ubuntu. The configure script fails on the
> check for glibc version 2.2.0 or newer. I am curious if this version of
> glibc is so new that it would not be in the Ubuntu stable release yet?

Nope -- I think it was released in 1998. They're up around 2.2.16 now.

Look at the end of the logging section of config.log -- often this is
caused by path problems, or by a missing pkg-config.

Dustin

--
Storage Software Engineer
http://www.zmanda.com

stan 08-08-2008 10:29 AM

Glibc versions

On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 06:50:46PM -0400, Dustin J. Mitchell wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 5:27 PM, stan <stanb@panix.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to build 2.6.0p1 on a Ubuntu machine. As far as I know this
> > machine is the latest version of Ubuntu. The configure script fails on the
> > check for glibc version 2.2.0 or newer. I am curious if this version of
> > glibc is so new that it would not be in the Ubuntu stable release yet?
>
> Nope -- I think it was released in 1998. They're up around 2.2.16 now.
>
> Look at the end of the logging section of config.log -- often this is
> caused by path problems, or by a missing pkg-config.

I forgot I was working on Linux. I had not installed the -dev version of
the package :-( Stupid rookie mistake.

Thanks.

programs.