Old 08-07-2008, 06:12 PM
"Zhengguo Xu"

Default newbie's questions on the purpose of separate /home, upgrade the distro, etc.

Hi all,

i looked at the webs about linuk installation and installed my ubuntu 8.04 as follows:

/boot (sda1)
/ (sda2)
/home (sda5)
and swap (sda6)

i was under the impression that this setting will make upgrade less painful (read somewhere in the web but don't fully understood it). however, here come my questions.

say i decide to do a clean install of newer distro in the future (ubuntu 8.10 for example) instead of upgrade it (that would take much longer and more problematic if i'm right), i guess i should take the same setting but not format the /home partition.

however, after the installation, do I have to installl all applications I have installed (like virtualbox, keepassx, realplayer... ) or since i didn't format the /home partiotion all these nice applications will automatically installed and configured for me? or they just stayed there and didn't change a bit?

if i have to reinstall applications, do i have to configure them (like i did before) as well? if not, the newer distro come with newer version of same application (this is often the case i'd say), will my old configuration works? if not, that would means i have to reinstall and reconfigure everything, then what the use of separate
/home partition (this is a laptop and i am the only user)?

i was just confused by all this separate home thing. so could anyone shed some light on it? many thanks.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:22 AM
"Zhengguo Xu"

The only application (that I use) that requires me to redo the conf file

is samba because smb.conf exists in /etc/samba

The rest just work.

Phil

thanks! that's good to know. i'll try to use my /home when the next version of ubuntu is out.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
"Cooky Fly"

Hi,

I've reinstalled Ubuntu for several times on my computer with a
separate "/home" partition every time. I'm a new Ubuntu user, but it
works pretty well for me since I don't have to config those usual
softwares again. It would be a good idea any way, because at least
those config files under e.g. .fcitx are still there under
"/home/username/". If some softwares have new version and the config
files are no longer valid, you may as well reconfigure them, which is
still better than reinstall and reconfigure them all, I guess.
I also store the common softwares such as Eclipse, Tomcat in
/home/myusername/Programs or a separate /opt or /usr/lib/Progroms
partition, since I also use them with fixed versions and every time I
reinstall Ubuntu I don't have to download them again. However, there
are softwares that I do have to reinstall such as JDK1.6. Maybe in
this case you can install it in a separate unformatted partition and
do the necessary configuration after install Ubuntu, such as make some
links under /usr/bin... However, I haven't done that before for
myself.

--
All things come through desire and every sincere prayer is answered.

Cooky Fly