-   -   ISO boot of latest 8.04 (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/138918-iso-boot-latest-8-04-a.html)

"Verde Denim" 08-07-2008 03:26 AM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to locate it...

I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install', I'm getting a long list of errors such as

SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ...** And Buffer I/O error at device sr0

Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

Thanks for any input...

Jack

steve 08-07-2008 03:44 AM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

elmo 08-07-2008 01:51 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

Verde Denim wrote:
> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to locate
> it...
>
> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install', I'm
> getting a long list of errors such as
> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... And Buffer I/O error at device sr0
>
> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?
>
> Thanks for any input...
>
> Jack

Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?
Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner that has a burn
iso inage function?

"Verde Denim" 08-07-2008 01:59 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:44 PM, steve <sfreilly@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Verde Denim wrote:

> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to locate

> it...

> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install', I'm

> getting a long list of errors such as

> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... * And Buffer I/O error at device sr0

> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

> Thanks for any input...

> Jack

take a look at this.

Steve~

I read through those bugs and did (as one of them suggested) burn a new iso at 4x speed.
I verified the data on the burn, and retried the install. I'm retrying that one this morning to see if it makes a difference.

Jack

"Verde Denim" 08-07-2008 02:04 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 9:51 AM, elmo <elmo@ne.rr.com> wrote:

Verde Denim wrote:

> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to locate

> it...

> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install', I'm

> getting a long list of errors such as

> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... * And Buffer I/O error at device sr0

> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

> Thanks for any input...

> Jack

Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?

Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner that has a burn

iso inage function?
Used Nero - burn an image file to disc function -
The first time at highest speed. After reading the Launchpad reports (see Steve's reply), I burned another disc at 4x. I'm trying the disc burned at the slower speed now.

*

"Verde Denim" 08-07-2008 02:26 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

Verde Denim wrote:

> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to locate

> it...

> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install', I'm

> getting a long list of errors such as

> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... * And Buffer I/O error at device sr0

> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

> Thanks for any input...

> Jack

Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?

Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner that has a burn

iso inage function?
Used Nero - burn an image file to disc function -
The first time at highest speed. After reading the Launchpad reports (see Steve's reply), I burned another disc at 4x. I'm trying the disc burned at the slower speed now.

Update: No joy. Same errors (SQUASHFS and I/O errors).
*

*

"Verde Denim" 08-07-2008 02:35 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

Verde Denim wrote:

> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to locate

> it...

> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install', I'm

> getting a long list of errors such as

> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... * And Buffer I/O error at device sr0

> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

> Thanks for any input...

> Jack

Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?

Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner that has a burn

iso inage function?
Used Nero - burn an image file to disc function -
The first time at highest speed. After reading the Launchpad reports (see Steve's reply), I burned another disc at 4x. I'm trying the disc burned at the slower speed now.

Update: No joy. Same errors (SQUASHFS and I/O errors).
*
Update 2: I shut off the splash to see the messages - as soon as the boot sequence loads squashfs (dated October, 2007) the install borks - sarts throwing the same errors I've seen before. I think there is something wrong with the 8.04 iso on the Ubu site. Does anyone know where I can get an iso of 7.10? If that would work, I can always do the dist-upgrade to get to the latest release...

*

*

Gilles Gravier 08-07-2008 02:44 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

Title: Signature Home Chastity

Hi!

wrote:

Verde Denim wrote:

> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to
locate

> it...

> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install',
I'm

> getting a long list of errors such as

> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... * And Buffer I/O error at
device sr0

> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

> Thanks for any input...

> Jack

Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?

Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner that has a
burn

iso inage function?

Used Nero - burn an image file to disc function -

The first time at highest speed. After reading the Launchpad reports
(see Steve's reply), I burned another disc at 4x. I'm trying the disc
burned at the slower speed now.

Update: No joy. Same errors (SQUASHFS and I/O errors).

*

Update 2: I shut off the splash to see the messages - as soon as
the boot sequence loads squashfs (dated October, 2007) the install
borks - sarts throwing the same errors I've seen before. I think there
is something wrong with the 8.04 iso on the Ubu site. Does anyone know
where I can get an iso of 7.10? If that would work, I can always do the
dist-upgrade to get to the latest release...

The ISO works fine. Check the MD5 hash of your ISO... and compare to
what the site says.

If you have the 8.04.1 i368 desktop, your MD5 hash should be :
c69e34e92d5402d1b87e6babc739f774

You may be having other problems. How much RAM does your system have?

Have you tried downloading the "alternate" CD? Works with smaller, and
sometimes more exotic machines.

Gilles.

--

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]

Frans 08-07-2008 03:06 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 10:35:21 -0400, Verde Denim wrote:

> Update 2: I shut off the splash to see the messages - as soon as the
> boot sequence loads squashfs (dated October, 2007) the install borks -
> sarts throwing the same errors I've seen before. I think there is
> something wrong with the 8.04 iso on the Ubu site. Does anyone know
> where I can get an iso of 7.10? If that would work, I can always do the
> dist-upgrade to get to the latest release...

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/downloadmirrors is ubuntu's Full Download
Mirror List. http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/ubuntu.com/releases/ still has
7.10 .

Good luck!

-Frans

"Verde Denim" 08-07-2008 03:07 PM

ISO boot of latest 8.04

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

Hi!

wrote:

Verde Denim wrote:

> I thought I saw another thread on this, but haven't been able to
locate

> it...

> I burned an iso image of 8.04 today, and when selecting 'Install',
I'm

> getting a long list of errors such as

> SQUASHFS error: sb_bread failed at ... * And Buffer I/O error at
device sr0

> Is this the iso or is this pointing to a different problem?

> Thanks for any input...

> Jack

Could you describe exactly how you "burned the iso image" ?

Did you copy the iso to a disk or did you use a CD burner that has a
burn

iso inage function?

Used Nero - burn an image file to disc function -

The first time at highest speed. After reading the Launchpad reports
(see Steve's reply), I burned another disc at 4x. I'm trying the disc
burned at the slower speed now.

Update: No joy. Same errors (SQUASHFS and I/O errors).

*

Update 2: I shut off the splash to see the messages - as soon as
the boot sequence loads squashfs (dated October, 2007) the install
borks - sarts throwing the same errors I've seen before. I think there
is something wrong with the 8.04 iso on the Ubu site. Does anyone know
where I can get an iso of 7.10? If that would work, I can always do the
dist-upgrade to get to the latest release...

The ISO works fine. Check the MD5 hash of your ISO... and compare to
what the site says.

If you have the 8.04.1 i368 desktop, your MD5 hash should be :
c69e34e92d5402d1b87e6babc739f774

You may be having other problems. How much RAM does your system have?

Have you tried downloading the "alternate" CD? Works with smaller, and
sometimes more exotic machines.

Gilles.
Gilles
I have the 8.04 i386 desktop iso. I'm currently installing win on the box, just to see if it's hardware. This same error has been reported in launchpad (and apparently hasn't been dealt with yet, since I read a few instances of this). I've the various workarounds (pcmcia=nomsi, ide=nodma, remove the splash) but no joy there either. I'll check the md5 of the iso file on my other ubu box and see what that brings, although i've burned three different downloads from three different mirrors, and they all say they have defective files on the cd - using different burners. It's beginning to make me wonder about the iso being distributed.

The machine is a Dell Dimension 4500 with 1GB of RAM and a 80GB IDE drive. At this point it's a stock machine that was running 7.10 until the drive crashed.

I haven't tried any other iso's since at the moment I'm out of blanks... :)