Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Derek Broughton

Default ISO boot of latest 8.04

Verde Denim wrote:

> Well, the same box with the same config is currently finalizing the
> install of XP (from orig media) so I can't say it's the hardware. I used
> Nero to burn the CDs. I have to get more blanks, but I'd be open to
> suggestions as to what else to burn it with - my other linux machine
> doesn't have a cd burner, so at the moment, only my work laptop (sadly
> forced to run M$ there) has that capability... The discs are 700MB, the
> iso is 694MB...

_All_ of my discs claim to be 700MB (at least), but the last 100MB is
touchy...
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 05:50 PM
Derek Broughton

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:

>> In this case, I can practically guarantee that it _is_ your media. My
>> last install from my own media left me with three bad CDs before I
>> finally gave
>> up and wrote the image to a _DVD_. The iso size pushes the limits of
>> what's possible with a CD, and cheap media can't handle it. It's cheaper
>> for me to use 10% of a DVD to hold the image than to burn 10 CDs in the
>> hope that _one_ of them will work.
>
> FYI -I have tried burning the CD image to a DVD, and can read the files,
> but couldn't boot from it on the various machines I've got....

Can you boot from any other DVD? Not all systems can boot off a DVD, but
burned with k3b exactly as I burn an ISO to a CD, the ubuntu images always
boot.
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 06:05 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Verde Denim wrote:

>> I have the 8.04 i386 desktop iso. I'm currently installing win on the box,

>> just to see if it's hardware. This same error has been reported in

>> launchpad (and apparently hasn't been dealt with yet, since I read a few

>> instances of this). I've the various workarounds (pcmcia=nomsi, ide=nodma,

>> remove the splash) but no joy there either. I'll check the md5 of the iso

>> file on my other ubu box and see what that brings, although i've burned

>> three different downloads from three different mirrors, and they all say

>> they have defective files on the cd - using different burners. It's

>> beginning to make me wonder about the iso being distributed.

> Ta Da! *Really, how can you possibly hope to install from defective media?

> In this case, I can practically guarantee that it _is_ your media. *My last

> install from my own media left me with three bad CDs before I finally gave

> up and wrote the image to a _DVD_. *The iso size pushes the limits of

> what's possible with a CD, and cheap media can't handle it. *It's cheaper

> for me to use 10% of a DVD to hold the image than to burn 10 CDs in the

> hope that _one_ of them will work.

FYI -I have tried burning the CD image to a DVD, and can read the files,

but couldn't boot from it on the various machines I've got....

Ok - so i just yanked 2 copies of Kubuntu 7.04 discs from my work lab which was used to install 4 other systems. I ran the integrity check on the first - it shows 24 files bad!
On running the second - 2 files

I'm not sure what this indicates, since the win media installed fine.

--

--- Dave Woyciesjes

--- ICQ# 905818

--- AIM - woyciesjes

"From there to here,

*From here to there,

Funny things

are everywhere."

--- Dr. Seuss

Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Nigel Henry

On Thursday 07 August 2008 20:05, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 1:02 PM, Dave Woyciesjes
<woyciesjes@sbcglobal.net>wrote:
> > Derek Broughton wrote:
> >
> > box,

> > ide=nodma,

> > iso

> > > Ta Da! Really, how can you possibly hope to install from defective
> >
> > media?
> >
> > > In this case, I can practically guarantee that it _is_ your media. My
> >
> > last
> >
> > > install from my own media left me with three bad CDs before I finally
> >
> > gave
> >
> > > up and wrote the image to a _DVD_. The iso size pushes the limits of
> > > what's possible with a CD, and cheap media can't handle it. It's
> > > cheaper for me to use 10% of a DVD to hold the image than to burn 10
> > > CDs in the hope that _one_ of them will work.
> >
> > FYI -I have tried burning the CD image to a DVD, and can read the files,
> > but couldn't boot from it on the various machines I've got....
>
> Ok - so i just yanked 2 copies of Kubuntu 7.04 discs from my work lab which
> was used to install 4 other systems. I ran the integrity check on the first
> - it shows 24 files bad!
> On running the second - 2 files
>
> I'm not sure what this indicates, since the win media installed fine.
>
> > --
> > --- Dave Woyciesjes
> > --- ICQ# 905818
> > --- AIM - woyciesjes

I can't speak for the disk integrity checker on Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but know that
with one of my Fedora installs I ran the integrity checker for each of the
cd's (5 in total IIRC). the first was on one make of media, and passed the
check, and the rest of the cd's were all on a different make of media, and
according to the integrity checker all failed. Having seen a comment that the
integrity checker could be unreliable depending on your media, I just went
ahead and ran the install, and there were no problems whatsoever.

On a new machine that I've recently built, which has an Asus M2N-X Plus mobo,
and an AMD64 3800+ CPU, and also an ATI based Asus graphics card, I've had
nothing but problems booting anything, whether install cd's, live cd's,
whatever.

I had to disable acpi in the BIOS to get them to boot, and even after that, I
had to append the kernel line, for most of the distros with acpi=off,
otherwise, and in the case of Kubuntu GG, and HH specifically, when the
bootup got as far as starting X, the whole machine would just lockup. No
mouse, no keyboard, no nothing.

The only Distro that did install ok, without appending the kernel line (and
that is after disabling acpi in the BIOS) was Kubuntu Breezy, which is using
an early 2.6.12 kernel (pre udev). having all the updates to upgrade to
Dapper on another drive, I upgraded Breezy to Dapper, which also added a
2.6.15 kernel. I rebooted using the 2.6.15 kernel, and again when X was
started everything locked up. I rebooted into recovery mode, or whatever it's
called for the 2.6.15 kernel, and found myself effectivally in runlevel 1.
Startx got me into the desktop, no problemo.

As the desktop was accessable, I then booted up, appending the kernel line
with a 3, and then once booted could look around in the filesystem for any
problems. Pressed enter, and wonder of wonders, I didn't get runlevel 3, but
the the KDM login screen, and was able to login to KDE. Don't ask me why
appending the kernel line with a 3 has resolved the problem in booting into
Dapper with the 2.6.15 kernel on my new machine, as I've absolutely no idea
whatsoever.

Based on my experience with this new machine, and installing several different
distros, sometimes it's all a bit trial, and error. Quite why appending the
kernel line with acpi=off stops the machine locking up when booting, I've no
idea.

I'm still getting problems on this new machine when downloading large files
(iso's), when not using the machine for anything else. During the day I see
no lockups, but if the downloads are proceeding overnight, oftentimes the
following morning I find the machine locked up.

I am sort of wondering if the mouse pointer should be moved from time to time,
and maybe this will stop the lockups. For this I will need a script to move
the mouse pointer periodically, but will post this on a new thread.

Thursday evening ramblings, and probably not even worth 2.

Nigel.

Old 08-07-2008, 10:53 PM
"Verde Denim"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> [...]

whatsoever.

Based on my experience with this new machine, and installing several different

distros, sometimes it's all a bit trial, and error. Quite why appending the

kernel line with acpi=off stops the machine locking up when booting, I've no

idea.

I'm still getting problems on this new machine when downloading large files

(iso's), when not using the machine for anything else. During the day I see

no lockups, but if the downloads are proceeding overnight, oftentimes the

following morning I find the machine locked up.

I am sort of wondering if the mouse pointer should be moved from time to time,

and maybe this will stop the lockups. For this I will need a script to move

the mouse pointer periodically, but will post this on a new thread.

Thursday evening ramblings, and probably not even worth 2.

Ok - I don't know how or why, but after about a hundred trial-and-error runs, i got ubuntu 7.10 server installed. Now I can re-post my original problem with this box and its crazy hardware - the SATA card odyssey...

Thanks LOADS for all the help - it was all very well received!

Jack
*

Old 08-07-2008, 11:38 PM
NoOp

On 08/07/2008 09:47 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

>> This is the correct MD5 for the 8.04 desktop i386 CD. So either your
>> burning of that ISO is incorrect (maybe your media are too small) or you
>> might have a hardware problem...
>>
>> GIlles.
>>
> Gilles~
> Well, the same box with the same config is currently finalizing the install
> of XP (from orig media) so I can't say it's the hardware. I used Nero to
> burn the CDs. I have to get more blanks, but I'd be open to suggestions as
> to what else to burn it with - my other linux machine doesn't have a cd
> burner, so at the moment, only my work laptop (sadly forced to run M$ there)
> has that capability... The discs are 700MB, the iso is 694MB...

Simply because it may work with Windows doesn't necessarily mean that
the bios or harware is working properly. Try using acpi=off as Nigel
suggested.

Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
"Verde Denim"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 7:38 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

On 08/07/2008 09:47 AM, Verde Denim wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

>> This is the correct MD5 for the 8.04 desktop i386 CD. So either your

>> burning of that ISO is incorrect (maybe your media are too small) or you

>> might have a hardware problem...

>> GIlles.

> Gilles~

> Well, the same box with the same config is currently finalizing the install

> of XP (from orig media) so I can't say it's the hardware. I used Nero to

> burn the CDs. I have to get more blanks, but I'd be open to suggestions as

> to what else to burn it with - my other linux machine doesn't have a cd

> burner, so at the moment, only my work laptop (sadly forced to run M$ there)

> has that capability... The discs are 700MB, the iso is 694MB...

Simply because it may work with Windows doesn't necessarily mean that

the bios or harware is working properly. Try using acpi=off as Nigel

suggested.

NoOPI have Ubuntu server installed. I had a copy of 7.10 which I tried and it worked. I've started another thread to deal with the SATA issue (which was where this saga began). I did wind up using a few of the suggestions of everyone who contributed - THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!

The help has been invaluable, and I only hope I can be more helpful to others on this list in the future.
*I wish I could recall the subject of the new thread, but since I don't get the messages in gmail from the Ubu list consistently, I'll have to wait until someone responds to see it.

Regards,
Jack

Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Nigel Henry wrote:

> I can't speak for the disk integrity checker on Ubuntu/Kubuntu, but know
> that with one of my Fedora installs I ran the integrity checker for each
> of the cd's (5 in total IIRC). the first was on one make of media, and
> passed the check, and the rest of the cd's were all on a different make of
> media, and according to the integrity checker all failed. Having seen a
> comment that the integrity checker could be unreliable depending on your
> media, I just went ahead and ran the install, and there were no problems
> whatsoever.

Trust me, the integrity checker is correct. However, I've _always_ tried to
install any CD that fails it. You don't _need_ all the files off the disc -
every install makes some choices about what it needs, so sometimes it works
flawlessly, sometimes a non-vital package will fail, and sometimes a vital
step fails, and you're out of luck. otoh, any disk that's _passed_ the
integrity check has worked for me.
--
derek