Old 08-06-2008, 09:59 PM
"David McNally"

Default installing kde/kubuntu over gnome/ubuntu

Hi Everyone.

OK, so here's the problem: I have a computer with Ubuntu installed (with Gnome). I want to put on KDE, but I still want to be able to use Ubuntu.

Should I just install Kubuntu and have the BIOS give me a choice when I turn on the computer, or is there a way to just download and install KDE?

Or are there any other ways to do this?

(also: is the only difference between Kubuntu and Ubuntu that Kubuntu has KDE and Ubuntu has Gnome, or are there any other differences?)

Thanks in advance,
David

Old 08-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- David McNally <david3333333@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> OK, so here's the problem: I have a computer with
> Ubuntu installed (with
> Gnome). I want to put on KDE, but I still want to be
> able to use Ubuntu.
>
> Should I just install Kubuntu and have the BIOS give
> me a choice when I turn
> on the computer, or is there a way to just download
> and install KDE?
>
> Or are there any other ways to do this?
>
> (also: is the only difference between Kubuntu and
> Ubuntu that Kubuntu has
> KDE and Ubuntu has Gnome, or are there any other
> differences?)
>
> Thanks in advance,
> David
Hi David.

All you need to do is install kubuntu-desktop. I have
ubuntu installed which gives ubuntu-desktop(gnome) and
all I did was install kubuntu-desktop. Works the
other was around if you install Kubuntu instead of
Ubuntu. The two are essentially the same with
different default desktops.
When you start your computer and get to the login
screen you can select which desktop to start by
clicking the lower right icon then click session type
and select the one you want.
HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-07-2008, 12:09 AM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"David McNally" <david3333333@gmail.com> said:
> Hi Everyone.
>
> OK, so here's the problem: I have a computer with Ubuntu installed
> (with Gnome). I want to put on KDE, but I still want to be able to
> use Ubuntu.

Open synaptic (or your choice of software management apps) and install
kubuntu-desktop. Or kubuntu-4-desktop if you wish although it is a
moving target right now.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Unofficial "Wizard of Odds," A.H.P.
"Wize(ned) Wizard," A.P.F-P-Y.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:52 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/06/2008 05:15 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> --- David McNally <david3333333@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone.
>>
>> OK, so here's the problem: I have a computer with
>> Ubuntu installed (with
>> Gnome). I want to put on KDE, but I still want to be
>> able to use Ubuntu.
>> [...]
>
> All you need to do is install kubuntu-desktop. [...]

Couldn't he just install the 'kde' package?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:48 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 23:52 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/06/2008 05:15 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > All you need to do is install kubuntu-desktop. [...]
>
> Couldn't he just install the 'kde' package?

"kde" installs KDE, "kubuntu-desktop" installs the Kubuntu-specific
parts along with that. Given that Kubuntu adds some more polish, I'd go
with kubuntu-desktop.

aptitude show kde
This metapackage includes all the official modules released with KDE
that are not specific to development. In addition to the core KDE
modules, this includes multimedia, networking, personal information
manager (PIM), graphics, education, games, web development, system
administration tools, and other artwork and utilities.

aptitude show kubuntu-desktop
This package depends on all of the packages in the Kubuntu desktop
system. Installing this package will include the default Kubuntu KDE
installation. It is safe to remove this package if some of the desktop
system packages are not desired.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:35 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- "Mumia W."
<paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 08/06/2008 05:15 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- David McNally <david3333333@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Everyone.
> >>
> >> OK, so here's the problem: I have a computer with
>
> >> Ubuntu installed (with
> >> Gnome). I want to put on KDE, but I still want to
> be
> >> able to use Ubuntu.
> >> [...]
> >
> > All you need to do is install kubuntu-desktop.
> [...]
>
> Couldn't he just install the 'kde' package?

Don't know; suppose he could. Somewhere when I first
started Ubuntu, perhaps from the (K)ubuntu lists,
someone told me to install kubuntu-desktop to get kde
and that's what I've done ever since. Have used kde
since the Debian bf2.4 days and don't care for gnome
though I've used it. The kubuntu-desktop does seem to
pull everything in.

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 09:52:32 pm Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/06/2008 05:15 PM, Leonard Chatagnier wrote:
> > --- David McNally <david3333333@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi Everyone.
> >>
> >> OK, so here's the problem: I have a computer with
> >> Ubuntu installed (with
> >> Gnome). I want to put on KDE, but I still want to be
> >> able to use Ubuntu.
> >> [...]
> >
> > All you need to do is install kubuntu-desktop. [...]
>
> Couldn't he just install the 'kde' package?

That would allow some KDE apps to work all right in a foreign environment but
it is not what people talk about as being KDE. Installing the
kubuntu-desktop gives you the whole environment the way it should be. I also
have Xubuntu-desktop installed on this laptop. I can boot into any one of
them from the "sessions" menu on boot up. KDE is set as default desktop but
I use the original gdm to get there! I also have KDE4 installed but it is
not stable enough for what I do.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-07-2008, 07:35 PM
"David McNally"

So, I should download and install the "kubuntu-desktop" package with Synaptic? And not the "kde" package.

Also, if I download and install the "kubuntu-desktop" package and have it running Kubuntu, can I still access and use and save all my files that I had with Gnome? (I don't know if this helps, but I'm using only one hard drive and one computer, not connected to any others -- I like to keep it simple, which Ubuntu does quite well.)

Again, Thank you so much,
David

Old 08-07-2008, 07:59 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

"David McNally" <david3333333@gmail.com> said:
> So, I should download and install the "kubuntu-desktop" package with
> Synaptic? And not the "kde" package.

Yes.

> Also, if I download and install the "kubuntu-desktop" package and
> have it running Kubuntu, can I still access and use and save all my
> files that I had with Gnome?

Yes, and with any other desktop environment (DE) or window manager (WM)
you might choose which to use when you log in later.

> (I don't know if this helps, but I'm
> using only one hard drive and one computer, not connected to any
> others -- I like to keep it simple, which Ubuntu does quite well.)
>
> Again, Thank you so much,
> David

One drive is fine, it's what Ubuntu is installed upon, yes?

Cybe R. Wizard