Old 08-06-2008, 09:46 PM
Michael Ladick

Default Quick Question about Native vs. Legacey

I just bought a laptop with no OS and I tried to install Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS.* It would not fully download and I found out it is because the BIOS I have is Native, and I needed to change it to Legacey.* After a long chat with the computer company I have found out that I do not have the ability to change the BIOS to Native....so my question is...
*
Do you have an Ubuntu OS that will run on a SATA harddrive and is Native instead of Legacey?
*
Thanks,
*
Mike

Old 08-11-2008, 06:56 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:46 PM, Michael Ladick <shipmate285@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I just bought a laptop with no OS and I tried to install Ubuntu and
> PCLinuxOS. It would not fully download and I found out it is because the
> BIOS I have is Native, and I needed to change it to Legacey. After a long
> chat with the computer company I have found out that I do not have the
> ability to change the BIOS to Native....so my question is...
>
> Do you have an Ubuntu OS that will run on a SATA harddrive and is Native
> instead of Legacey?

Hi Mike

I'm afraid what you've typed here doesn't quite add up.

I'm not sure what downloading the operating system has to do with SATA support.

If in fact the problem is you can't seem to get Ubuntu to install, can
you completely describe what happens when you try and exactly what you
see when it fails? There is often a BIOS setting that affects SATA
drives that is described as legacy or native - but Ubuntu certainly
works in 'Native' mode so that sounds like you are barking up the
wrong tree.

Start from the start and give us the whole story.

Brian