Old 08-05-2008, 10:52 PM
Anthony Watters

Default Ubuntu Desktop IPv4 and IPv6 question

Folks,

Windows Vista has a dual IPv4 and IPv6 stack arrangement and some ISPs in Australia such as Internode also now run IPv6 on their networks (as a dual IP stack arrangement, so for the time being both IPv4 and IPv6 are catered for). However, routers, other than Cisco, don't yet support IPv6 as far as I can tell.

Presumably one wouldn't want both IPv4 and IPv6 going over the Internet from the Ubuntu Desktop box at the same time. Also, it would seem that if one wants to use IPv6 with an ISP that one would have to rip out the IPv4 based router and connect the Ubuntu Desktop box directly to the cable modem?

With IPv6 I wouldn't particularly want to use DHCP. Is there a way in Ubuntu Desktop of setting a fixed, i.e. static, IP address, e.g. equivalent of something akin
to 192.168.0.3 but in IPv6, assuming that I can find a router that will support IPv6 and so do the NAT thing? Or will router manufacturers go to the wall with the rise of IPv6 because people will have to connect all their computers directly to the Internet in an IPv6 enabled world?

Finally, I gather that one of the selling points of IPv6 is better security than IPv4 due to built-in encryption? Does anyone have to do anything to enable that and are their performance implications?

Sorry, this message turned out to be longer than I thought it would be.

Regards,

Tony

Old 08-06-2008, 10:40 PM
NoOp

On 08/05/2008 03:52 PM, Anthony Watters wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Windows Vista has a dual IPv4 and IPv6 stack arrangement and some
> ISPs in Australia such as Internode also now run IPv6 on their
> networks (as a dual IP stack arrangement, so for the time being both
> IPv4 and IPv6 are catered for). However, routers, other than Cisco,
> don't yet support IPv6 as far as I can tell.
>
> Presumably one wouldn't want both IPv4 and IPv6 going over the
> Internet from the Ubuntu Desktop box at the same time. Also, it would
> seem that if one wants to use IPv6 with an ISP that one would have to
> rip out the IPv4 based router and connect the Ubuntu Desktop box
> directly to the cable modem?
>
> With IPv6 I wouldn't particularly want to use DHCP. Is there a way in
> Ubuntu Desktop of setting a fixed, i.e. static, IP address, e.g.
> equivalent of something akin to 192.168.0.3 but in IPv6, assuming
> that I can find a router that will support IPv6 and so do the NAT
> thing? Or will router manufacturers go to the wall with the rise of
> IPv6 because people will have to connect all their computers directly
> to the Internet in an IPv6 enabled world?
>
> Finally, I gather that one of the selling points of IPv6 is better
> security than IPv4 due to built-in encryption? Does anyone have to do
> anything to enable that and are their performance implications?
>
> Sorry, this message turned out to be longer than I thought it would
> be.

These might be of interest:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IPv6
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Linux+IPv6-HOWTO/