Old 08-05-2008, 03:18 PM
"David Clark"

Default QUESTION - Any tutorials or online training?

Howdy!

This is my first posting to the group. After al these years, being a newbie
can be tough on the ego
I've worked more than 15 years with DOS and Windows and now I've ventured
into Linux. I've seen the 'writing on the wall' and it's all good. As an
admin, Windows severely restricts my chance to do things in a different more
secure manner. I find Linux server platforms faster, and streamlined - less
bloated.

I'm looking for training opportunities. Anyone care to share some training
materials or resources - ISO files or websites with training. Linux/Ubuntu
has a lot of command line similarities to DOS, and that's great. Some of the
file structure is similar also, but I want a deeper understanding.
Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.

David Clark

Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 PM
Pastor JW

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 08:18:02 am David Clark wrote:

> I'm looking for training opportunities. Anyone care to share some training
> materials or resources - ISO files or websites with training. Linux/Ubuntu
> has a lot of command line similarities to DOS, and that's great. Some of
> the file structure is similar also, but I want a deeper understanding. Can
> anyone help?

In your synaptic pakage manager, search for rutebook. By the time you are
finished with it you'll know even more than you want to!

> Thanks in advance.

Sure thing, hope it helped!

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org

Old 08-07-2008, 04:46 PM
Florian Diesch

"David Clark" <clarksd5@cox.net> wrote:

> I'm looking for training opportunities. Anyone care to share some training
> materials or resources - ISO files or websites with training. Linux/Ubuntu
> has a lot of command line similarities to DOS, and that's great. Some of the
> file structure is similar also, but I want a deeper understanding.
> Can anyone help?

A good thing to start with is "Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition":
Install the package rutebook and go to /usr/share/doc/rutebook/.
Some parts (especially the ones about configuring some programs) are
a bit out of date but IMHO it's still a very good book.

If you want to know some more about shell scripting the "Advanced
Bash-Scripting Guide" is for you (package abs-guide, see
/usr/share/doc/abs-guide).

The "Debian Reference" (package debian-reference-en,
/usr/share/doc/Debian/reference) and the APT Howto (package
apt-howto-en, /usr/share/doc/Debian/apt-howto) are focused on Debian
(which Ubuntu is derived from) and some things are a bit different for
Ubuntu (like release names and the repositories) but most of it is
still useful.

The "Filesystem Hierarchy Standard" (package debian-policy,
/usr/share/doc/debian-policy/fhs/) explains the directory structure.

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>