Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Magnus Runesson

Default Java Web Start and linux32 on 64 bit machine

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:21 +0000, Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:
> I've installed Swiftweasel (a firefox derivative) on my 64 bit Ubuntu
> Hardy machine using linux32 and 32 bit libraries. I did this using
> directions I found on this forum, and it works great for using Java
> applets with my browser, but I can't seem to get Java Web Start apps to
> work correctly.
>
> I've tried kicking it off in the browser using the normal procedure of
> associating .jnlp scripts with it. When that didn't work I thought that
> maybe it was being kicked off in 64 bit mode when I needed it in 32 bit
> mode so I wrote the following simple script to fix the problem:

My solution for this was to install a 32-bit java too and then run
sudo update-alternatives --config javaws
and select the 32-bit version of javaws

Good luck!
/Magnus

--
http://theworldofapenguin.blogspot.com

Old 08-06-2008, 05:52 PM
"Kennneth P. Turvey"

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:32:24 +0200, Magnus Runesson wrote:

> My solution for this was to install a 32-bit java too and then run sudo
> update-alternatives --config javaws and select the 32-bit version of
> javaws

Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still getting the same error. I
didn't think it would work since I was specifying the complete path to
javaws in the /lib hierarchy.

--
Kenneth P. Turvey <kt-usenet@squeakydolphin.com>
http://www.electricsenator.net

It is dangerous to be sincere unless you are also stupid.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Old 08-08-2008, 11:31 AM
"Kennneth P. Turvey"

On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 17:52:56 +0000, Kennneth P. Turvey wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Aug 2008 19:32:24 +0200, Magnus Runesson wrote:
>
>> My solution for this was to install a 32-bit java too and then run sudo
>> update-alternatives --config javaws and select the 32-bit version of
>> javaws
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm still getting the same error. I
> didn't think it would work since I was specifying the complete path to
> javaws in the /lib hierarchy.

I've noticed that printing through the browser doesn't work with this
configuration either. Swiftweasel locks up.

Any ideas?