-   -   Phil's Wifi (was HELP WINDOWS XP (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/138679-phils-wifi-help-windows-xp.html)

Derek Broughton 08-06-2008 05:03 PM

Mark Haney wrote:

> Phil Bieber wrote:

>> This is not my thread,

it is now :-)

>> but I'll briefly outline my wifi "performance"
>
> Sounds to me like the wireless settings just need tweaking on your system.

Yeah. For instance, I ran my broadcom wireless under ndiswrapper on a
2.6.22 kernel, because it was more reliable than the native bcm43xx driver.
When I upgraded my kernel (to 2.6.26 because 2.6.24 never worked for me)
wireless got really flakey. It turned out I was still running a years-old
firmware (in fact, the kernel reported support would be discontinued in
July 2008 - which sounds suspiciously like "out of warranty" syndrome!).
Upgrading to the correct firmware has improved performance phenomenally.

So tell us what type of wifi you have, and what chipset.
--
derek

"Phil Bieber" 08-07-2008 06:56 AM

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 19:03, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>
>> Phil Bieber wrote:
>
>>> This is not my thread,
>
> it is now :-)
>
>>> but I'll briefly outline my wifi "performance"
>>
>> Sounds to me like the wireless settings just need tweaking on your system.
>
> Yeah. For instance, I ran my broadcom wireless under ndiswrapper on a
> 2.6.22 kernel, because it was more reliable than the native bcm43xx driver.
> When I upgraded my kernel (to 2.6.26 because 2.6.24 never worked for me)
> wireless got really flakey. It turned out I was still running a years-old
> firmware (in fact, the kernel reported support would be discontinued in
> July 2008 - which sounds suspiciously like "out of warranty" syndrome!).
> Upgrading to the correct firmware has improved performance phenomenally.
>
> So tell us what type of wifi you have, and what chipset.
> --
> derek

Hi!

Thanks for my own thread :)
I'm using a DELL Inspiron Notebook with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
Card. I cannot tell you the exact chipset, but the graphics chip is
the Intel GMA950 with a Core2Duo @ 1,83Ghz. Its all from the Centrino
platform.

I will have a look around for some newer firmware, thanks a lot for the hint!

Cheers
Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

Derek Broughton 08-07-2008 01:22 PM

Phil Bieber wrote:

> I'm using a DELL Inspiron Notebook with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
> Card. I cannot tell you the exact chipset, but the graphics chip is
> the Intel GMA950 with a Core2Duo @ 1,83Ghz. Its all from the Centrino
> platform.
>
> I will have a look around for some newer firmware, thanks a lot for the
> hint!

Certainly the Intels do sometimes need firmware updates - I remember
updating my 2200 (when it still worked, before it broke and Dell refused to
honor my warranty, but I'm not bitter...).

Anyway, enough of my problems :-)

Check out: http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi

Basically, they say you should be golden if you run the hardy kernel,
otherwise you'll need to do some work. So let's hope you aren't using
Hardy. In that case, I'd suggest the simplest thing is to upgrade to hardy
(well worth while imo). Next simplest, is probably to get the drivers from
the above page. This will eventually leave you with some orphaned software
not under package control, but should be fairly painless. Finally, but not
for the faint of heart, is to briefly change your /etc/apt/sources.list to
point to hardy, upgrade just the kernel (and any dependencies), then switch
your apt sources back to whatever you're using. In the worst case, with
this method, you just find the new kernel doesn't boot, and go back to the
old one.
--
derek

"Phil Bieber" 08-08-2008 05:46 AM

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 15:22, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Phil Bieber wrote:
>
>> I'm using a DELL Inspiron Notebook with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945ABG
>> Card. I cannot tell you the exact chipset, but the graphics chip is
>> the Intel GMA950 with a Core2Duo @ 1,83Ghz. Its all from the Centrino
>> platform.
>>
>> I will have a look around for some newer firmware, thanks a lot for the
>> hint!
>
> Certainly the Intels do sometimes need firmware updates - I remember
> updating my 2200 (when it still worked, before it broke and Dell refused to
> honor my warranty, but I'm not bitter...).
>
> Anyway, enough of my problems :-)
>
> Check out: http://intellinuxwireless.org/?p=iwlwifi
>
> Basically, they say you should be golden if you run the hardy kernel,
> otherwise you'll need to do some work. So let's hope you aren't using
> Hardy. In that case, I'd suggest the simplest thing is to upgrade to hardy
> (well worth while imo). Next simplest, is probably to get the drivers from
> the above page. This will eventually leave you with some orphaned software
> not under package control, but should be fairly painless. Finally, but not
> for the faint of heart, is to briefly change your /etc/apt/sources.list to
> point to hardy, upgrade just the kernel (and any dependencies), then switch
> your apt sources back to whatever you're using. In the worst case, with
> this method, you just find the new kernel doesn't boot, and go back to the
> old one.
> --
> derek

Hi!
Thanks for the link, I will check it out, but I have to admit, that
I'm guilty of running Hardy =/ And besides the Wifi it actually IS
worth it :)
I have the impression, that wifi is a little better with the Intrepid
Kernel, but still not really the pleasure I was used to using Gutsy...
=/

Thanks and have a nice day!

Phil Bieber