Old 08-06-2008, 01:06 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

Default nm-applet shows working indefinitely

Hi,

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 with all updates. From past few day after I
logged onto systme nm-applet keeps showing working and network
connection works some time and doesn't work some time unpredictably.

Though it works quite fine in Windows and Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD.

Any remedies?

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Old 08-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:36 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> From past few day after I
> logged onto systme nm-applet keeps showing working and network
> connection works some time and doesn't work some time unpredictably.
>
> Though it works quite fine in Windows and Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD.
>
> Any remedies?

Network Manager puts logging messages into /var/log/daemon.log (prefixed
this file and post the relevant log entries, that is, everything that
comes from NM, and covering a time span from "works" to "does not work"
and back to "works". Thanks.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 10:00 PM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 18:36 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
>> From past few day after I
>> logged onto systme nm-applet keeps showing working and network
>> connection works some time and doesn't work some time unpredictably.
>>
>> Though it works quite fine in Windows and Ubuntu 8.04 Live CD.
>>
>> Any remedies?
>
> Network Manager puts logging messages into /var/log/daemon.log (prefixed
> this file and post the relevant log entries, that is, everything that
> comes from NM, and covering a time span from "works" to "does not work"
> and back to "works". Thanks.

Doing a "tail -f /var/log/daemon.log" keeps giving lot of traces.
However this line keeps coming in the log:

Deactivating device eth0
SWITCH: no current connection, found better connection 'eth0'
Will activate connection 'eth0'

Also I can't see 'eth0' in System->Administration->Network

Old 08-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 19:42 +0530, Ashish Yadav wrote:
> Deactivating device eth0
> SWITCH: no current connection, found better connection 'eth0'
> Will activate connection 'eth0'

It does that in my log, but rarely. My wlan device is (always)
"wlan0_rename" for some reason, and it also sometimes "found better
connection wlan0_rename".

This does not seem to be a problem per se.

> Also I can't see 'eth0' in System->Administration->Network

Hmmm, I'm on Intrepid already, and there the whole network GUI is
different, so I can't check if that's ok.

What hardware do you use?

Old 08-08-2008, 02:25 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

> What hardware do you use?

Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Old 08-09-2008, 02:00 PM
"Ashish Yadav"

Gave up, reinstalled Ubuntu 8.04.1 from scratch.

Ashish

"There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary, and those who don't"

Sat Aug 9 17:30:01 2008
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 16:01:26 +0200
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sebastian_Be=DFler?=
<sebastian.bessler@smail.fh-koeln.de>
To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] incompatibility between OOo and firefox 3 ?

b.n. schrieb:

> Oh, ok! I understand now.
> Why is it so? Will need to be done also when firefox 3 hits stable x86?

This is so because a number of apps don't build against Firefox 3 at
this time.