Old 08-06-2008, 12:24 PM
catalina

Default Please advise...

Would you please advise on the method to respond "in the text " of an
e-mail answering or asking for info.
You explicitly instruct NOT to answer the e-m to "the List".
thank you.
suuri suomi

Old 08-06-2008, 12:35 PM
Bart Silverstrim

catalina wrote:
> Would you please advise on the method to respond "in the text " of an
> e-mail answering or asking for info.
> You explicitly instruct NOT to answer the e-m to "the List".

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand the question...? You answer like...well, like
this. Often accepted and least-flamed is for you to reply either at the
bottom of the post you're replying to or use an "inline" reply, where
you place relevant text starting on a line under a particular point
inside the quoted text you're replying to, so it reads like a conversation.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:38 PM
"Mark Haney"

catalina wrote:
> Would you please advise on the method to respond "in the text " of an
> e-mail answering or asking for info.

If I read this correctly, it means like this.

> You explicitly instruct NOT to answer the e-m to "the List".
> thank you.
> suuri suomi

Basically if in the post there is multiple questions asked, you should
snip out the irrelevant parts (for conserving bandwidth) and answer each
part in turn underneath the appropriate question.

It helps keep things clear when answering a long post.

However, if this isn't at all what you want to know, can you clarify?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-06-2008, 01:48 PM
catalina

Thank you !

Old 08-06-2008, 06:56 PM
David Curtis

catalina wrote:
> Thank you !
>
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 08:38 -0400, Mark Haney wrote:
>> catalina wrote:
>>> Would you please advise on the method to respond "in the text " of an
>>> e-mail answering or asking for info.
>> If I read this correctly, it means like this.
>>
>>> You explicitly instruct NOT to answer the e-m to "the List".
>>> thank you.
>>> suuri suomi
>>
>> Basically if in the post there is multiple questions asked, you should
>> snip out the irrelevant parts (for conserving bandwidth) and answer each
>> part in turn underneath the appropriate question.
>>
>> It helps keep things clear when answering a long post.
>>
>> However, if this isn't at all what you want to know, can you clarify?

Wow, I can't stop laughing.

Suuri, it's also advisable not to top post.

Dave

Old 08-07-2008, 04:12 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:56 -0400, David Curtis wrote:
> Suuri, it's also advisable not to top post.

Well, if it's a one-line "thank you" or similar stuff, I don't see why.
In this case, reading a top post is certainly better than wading through
quotes after quotes just to read one line at the end.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:49 AM
Brian Astill

On Thursday 07 August 2008 13:42:02 Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:56 -0400, David Curtis wrote:
> > Suuri, it's also advisable not to top post.
>
> Well, if it's a one-line "thank you" or similar stuff, I don't
> see why. In this case, reading a top post is certainly better
> than wading through quotes after quotes just to read one line
> at the end.

A word to the wise. It is bad practice to argue about the mailing
list rules and practice. Just do as everyone else does and
concentrate on the real reason you are here.

Brian

Old 08-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Derek Broughton

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:56 -0400, David Curtis wrote:
>> Suuri, it's also advisable not to top post.
>
> Well, if it's a one-line "thank you" or similar stuff, I don't see why.
> In this case, reading a top post is certainly better than wading through
> quotes after quotes just to read one line at the end.

No, it's not. The whole purpose of "don't top post" is to get people to
trim. If you write one line and include 1000 lines of other people's
posts, it's a bad thing whether you top-posted or not. There are still
millions of people out there who are paying by the byte or on slow dial-up
connections who really need us to trim.
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 05:32 PM
Pastor JW

On Thursday 07 August 2008 05:27:56 am Derek Broughton wrote:
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 14:56 -0400, David Curtis wrote:
> >> Suuri, it's also advisable not to top post.
> >
> > Well, if it's a one-line "thank you" or similar stuff, I don't see why.
> > In this case, reading a top post is certainly better than wading through
> > quotes after quotes just to read one line at the end.
>
> No, it's not. The whole purpose of "don't top post" is to get people to
> trim. If you write one line and include 1000 lines of other people's
> posts, it's a bad thing whether you top-posted or not. There are still
> millions of people out there who are paying by the byte or on slow dial-up
> connections who really need us to trim.

Good reason! The thing that really bothers me however is how badly it mangles
the conversation. It gets to the point where it can not be followed no
matter how good the information contained.

I always wonder if those who post things like, " In this case, reading a top
post is certainly better than wading through quotes after quotes just to read
one line at the end." actually understand what they just wrote. Why in the
world would one include "quote after quote" if it was of no value to the
answer? And it it were pertainent, why do they believe the answer comes
before the question?!! What is it? ...Thank you for what you're about to
say?

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org