Old 08-06-2008, 11:51 AM
"Bill Walton"

Default Newbie desktop question

Greetings all,
*
I'm new to Ubuntu and have a schtupit newbie
question (more to*come ;-) ).* I've installed the 8.04 (64 bit)
desktop with no problems.* I got*Netbeans 6.0.1 (Ruby only version)
installed in the /opt directory and can run it via the file browser.* How
do I get Netbeans to show up in my application list and/or put an icon on the
desktop?
*
TIA,
Bill

Old 08-06-2008, 12:40 PM
"Mark Haney"

Bill Walton wrote:
> Greetings all,
>
> I'm new to Ubuntu and have a schtupit newbie question (more to come ;-) ). I've installed the 8.04 (64 bit) desktop with no problems. I got Netbeans 6.0.1 (Ruby only version) installed in the /opt directory and can run it via the file browser. How do I get Netbeans to show up in my application list and/or put an icon on the desktop?
>
> TIA,
> Bill

How'd you install netbeans? I don't know if you can get it via apt-get.
If not, the best way to do this is to copy an existing shortcut and
modify it to taste.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-06-2008, 12:56 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 8:40 AM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:
> Bill Walton wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I'm new to Ubuntu and have a schtupit newbie question (more to come ;-) ). I've installed the 8.04 (64 bit) desktop with no problems. I got Netbeans 6.0.1 (Ruby only version) installed in the /opt directory and can run it via the file browser. How do I get Netbeans to show up in my application list and/or put an icon on the desktop?
>>
>> TIA,
>> Bill
>>

> How'd you install netbeans? I don't know if you can get it via apt-get.
> If not, the best way to do this is to copy an existing shortcut and
> modify it to taste.
>

> --
> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>

> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Hi!
Try this:
http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/07/10/edit-the-applications-menu-with-two-clicks-ubuntu-804/

and select 'New Item'. Use the path to the Netbeans executable.

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Old 08-06-2008, 02:28 PM
"Bill Walton"

Hi Brie,

Brie Gordon wrote:

> Hi!
> Try this:

http://ubuntu-tutorials.com/2008/07/10/edit-the-applications-menu-with-two-c
licks-ubuntu-804/

> and select 'New Item'. Use the path to the Netbeans executable.

That did it. Thanks!

Best regards,
Bill