Old 08-06-2008, 09:37 AM
catalina

Default DOS Commands in Windows 98

I am using Windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A and with DOS in HMA.
Unfortunately any DOS COMMANDS I have tried does not work....I just get
back the message "bad command"
I have gone into the Web and tried all sorts of commands for DOS , even
tried UNIX Commands , but no luck.

Could I please have some help on this issue.
Suuri Suomi

Old 08-06-2008, 09:47 AM
John

Do you have any specific things you are trying to do?

dir, copy, etc?

Old 08-06-2008, 03:15 PM
elmo

catalina wrote:
> I am using Windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A and with DOS in HMA.
> Unfortunately any DOS COMMANDS I have tried does not work....I just get
> back the message "bad command"
> I have gone into the Web and tried all sorts of commands for DOS , even
> tried UNIX Commands , but no luck.
>
> Could I please have some help on this issue.
> Suuri Suomi

You will very likely get better help if you tried:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/default.mspx

Old 08-06-2008, 03:21 PM
"Mark Haney"

elmo wrote:
> catalina wrote:
>> I am using Windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A and with DOS in HMA.
>> Unfortunately any DOS COMMANDS I have tried does not work....I just get
>> back the message "bad command"
>> I have gone into the Web and tried all sorts of commands for DOS , even
>> tried UNIX Commands , but no luck.
>>
>> Could I please have some help on this issue.
>> Suuri Suomi

Be glad to help you off-list. What are you trying to do in DOS exactly?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-06-2008, 04:20 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/6 Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org>:
> elmo wrote:
>> catalina wrote:
>>> I am using Windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A and with DOS in HMA.
>>> Unfortunately any DOS COMMANDS I have tried does not work....I just get
>>> back the message "bad command"
>>> I have gone into the Web and tried all sorts of commands for DOS , even
>>> tried UNIX Commands , but no luck.
>>>
>>> Could I please have some help on this issue.
>>> Suuri Suomi
>
> Be glad to help you off-list. What are you trying to do in DOS exactly?

Please cc me the conversation. Unfortunately I must navigate my way
around DOS occasionally. Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-06-2008, 04:46 PM
catalina

Thank you so very much for your offer to help.
Not sure what "off list" means , or how to proceed.

What I am trying to do is to access my data base on an old PC 91997
Toshiba Satellite 220 CDS, with a windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A .
Trying to make space to install Ubuntu I erased all kinds of Windows
files , among them the windows utilities / accesories. By using DOS I am
trying to get into the Window Programs and trying to recuperate them.
Recuperate them so I can install any Linux....preferably Ubuntu as I
have the CD.
Unfortunately I can not get DOS to work....only some COMMANDS like
cd ...exit .... are acknowledged. There is nothing Wrong with DOS...I
can run SCANDISK and so forth BUT not much more .
I wished I could junk Windows and try to learn Unix.
I have another Laptop with W Vista on which I downloaded Ubuntu, so at
least I can cross reference Info from the Web.
Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
With thanks and kind regards
Suuri Suomi

Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM
Bart Silverstrim

catalina wrote:
> Thank you so very much for your offer to help.
> Not sure what "off list" means , or how to proceed.

off list means you email them directly.

This is the list here, where everything you send is copied out to every
subscriber. Going off-list means you are having a private conversation.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:54 PM
"POWERS, ZACK"

Catalina,
To install Ubuntu you'd have to find a way into your computers BIOS to
change the boot priority (the list that your computer uses to choose
what to boot off of first). Changing this will allow you to boot from
the CD you burned Ubuntu to.

After you boot from the CD follow the on screen instructions to begin
installing Ubuntu

Old 08-06-2008, 05:01 PM
"Mark Haney"

catalina wrote:
> Thank you so very much for your offer to help.
> Not sure what "off list" means , or how to proceed.

Off list means emailing me at my direct email address.

> What I am trying to do is to access my data base on an old PC 91997
> Toshiba Satellite 220 CDS, with a windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A .
> Trying to make space to install Ubuntu I erased all kinds of Windows
> files , among them the windows utilities / accesories.

Uh, yeah this is gonna be a problem. The DOS binaries are almost all
contained in the Windows directory. So it's likely that what you
removed could have deleted some of the DOS binaries. The cd and exit
commands are built into the shell and so don't have binaries associated
with them.

If you aren't familiar with Dual booting (or linux/unix in general) it
might have made more sense to ask on-list about ways to setup dual boot,
or google/research it more before you just randomly deleted stuff.

Your best bet here might be to reinstall Win98 and see if you can get to
the files that way.

Honestly, you're still not giving me a lot to go on. DOS won't get you
the deleted files back. There is not DOS based uninstall command build
into the Win98 version of DOS (that I recall anyway). Not to mention
it's likely if you were to recover them, you might only get part of the
file back and that would be useless with binaries.

What database are you trying to access on this laptop? Certain DBs did
come with DOS type clients and menus back in the Win98 days, but it
depends on which one you have data in.

If the data was critical, did you not have a backup made?

Old 08-06-2008, 05:47 PM
NoOp

On 08/06/2008 09:46 AM, catalina wrote:
> Thank you so very much for your offer to help.
> Not sure what "off list" means , or how to proceed.
>
> What I am trying to do is to access my data base on an old PC 91997
> Toshiba Satellite 220 CDS, with a windows 98 4.10.2222 Rev A .
> Trying to make space to install Ubuntu I erased all kinds of Windows
> files , among them the windows utilities / accesories. By using DOS I am
> trying to get into the Window Programs and trying to recuperate them.
> Recuperate them so I can install any Linux....preferably Ubuntu as I
> have the CD.
> Unfortunately I can not get DOS to work....only some COMMANDS like
> cd ...exit .... are acknowledged. There is nothing Wrong with DOS...I
> can run SCANDISK and so forth BUT not much more .
> I wished I could junk Windows and try to learn Unix.
> I have another Laptop with W Vista on which I downloaded Ubuntu, so at
> least I can cross reference Info from the Web.
> Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
> With thanks and kind regards
> Suuri Suomi

Is this the same laptop that you referenced in the "LINUX on Windows 98"
thread?

http://www.epinions.com/S0711759-Satellite_220CDS/display_~full_specs
Key Features
Processor: Pentium 133 MHz
Installed Memory: 16 MB (EDO RAM)
Hard Drive: 1.34 GB IDE
Display: 12.1 in.
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 95
Processor
Processor Manufacturer: Intel
Processor Type: Pentium
Processor Speed: 133 MHz
Motherboard
Bus Speed: 66 MHz
Memory
Installed RAM: 16 MB
RAM Technology: EDO RAM
Max Supported RAM: 144 MB
Installed Cache Memory: 256 KB

Are the specs of the machine any different from the above with the
exception of Windows 98 vs Windows 95? If so I'd reinstall Win98.

If you are just trying to get data back off of the drive then I'd
recommend TestDisk:
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download