Old 08-06-2008, 01:41 AM
"Brian McKee"

Default Searchng the archive

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Chris Jeffries <chris@candm.org.uk> wrote:
> I am occasionally noticing bugs (or features, as IBM used to rename
> them) worthy of mention, but I can't find a way to search the Archives
> to avoid re-reporting something that has already been noted.

Hey Chris
Welcome aboard!

The list itself can be searched here
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.user
Google seems to pick up this list pretty quick too - I often just
google stuff and add ubuntu-user on the end.

The official bug list is over at Launchpad - start here
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu and poke around. I find Launchpad a bit
IBM like - It'll bury you in documentation and commentary without
necessarily talking about what you really want to know at all :-)
Sounds like you'll be right at home.

HTH
Brian

Old 08-06-2008, 02:06 AM
NoOp

On 08/05/2008 06:19 PM, Chris Jeffries wrote:
> I am old to computing, but relatively new to Unix/Lnux/Ubuntu.
>
> I am occasionally noticing bugs (or features, as IBM used to rename
> them) worthy of mention, but I can't find a way to search the Archives
> to avoid re-reporting something that has already been noted.
>
> So my first tech support question to this list is, how do I search the
> archives without trudging through every one manually.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris.

Excellent question. Start here:
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu
You can search on packages, but if you are really after 'bugs':
click on 'bugs' (it's often very slow)
that will take you to:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu
Enter the search word in the "Bugs in Ubuntu" bar the same as you would
for any search engine.

IBM is pretty generic, but a search on IBM provides 362 results.
You can re-search by importance, status, milestone etc. You can look
through the list of bugs and look under "Package" to try an narrow it
down to a specific package. So, lets see if there is on on the IBM
search that intrests you, say:
206845 X server freezes (except for mouse) with Compiz enabled on ATI
Radeon Mobility 9000 xserver-xorg-video-ati High Triaged
If you are using FireFox, right click on the summary link for 206845 and
open it in a new tab (that way you can come back to
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bugs?field.searchtext=IBM&orderby=-importance&search=Search&field.status%3Alist=NEW&f ield.status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITH_RESPONSE&field. status%3Alist=INCOMPLETE_WITHOUT_RESPONSE&field.st atus%3Alist=CONFIRMED&field.status%3Alist=TRIAGED& field.status%3Alist=INPROGRESS&field.status%3Alist =FIXCOMMITTED&field.assignee=&field.bug_reporter=& field.omit_dupes=on&field.has_patch=&field.has_no_ package=>
if necessary.

We see that the bug isn't really the one we're looking for, but we know
that it is most likely in the xserver-xorg-video-ati package. So, click
'bugs' (top tab on that bug) and that will open all
xserver-xorg-video-ati bugs open that are not listed a duplicates
somewhere. Within that result we find 177 results and cn now narrow it
down further by checking for further bugs with say 'compiz'. Enter
compiz in the search bar and it will narrow down any bugs with compiz in
the 177 xserver-xorg-video-ati bugs. The current result show 24.

It's also worth doing a Google search with 'bugs.launchpad <searchitem>'
as bugs that have been marked as duplicates generally do not come up on
the standard launchpad seach; they will be show to the right in a bug
you find if there are any, but not in the standard
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu search.

Old 08-06-2008, 02:17 AM
NoOp

On 08/05/2008 07:06 PM, NoOp wrote:

> It's also worth doing a Google search with 'bugs.launchpad <searchitem>'
> as bugs that have been marked as duplicates generally do not come up on
> the standard launchpad seach; they will be show to the right in a bug
> you find if there are any, but not in the standard
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu search.

My apologies; you _can_ search duplicates if you use the advance search
and turn off Other
Hide duplicate bugs