-   -   Media Centre PC - Using Ubuntu (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/138199-media-centre-pc-using-ubuntu.html)

Greg Donhardt 08-05-2008 11:46 PM

Media Centre PC - Using Ubuntu

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
media PC.

I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and consider myself an
advanced level user. I am looking for advice on hardware, software, how
to go about it all.

Any help appreciated.

Greg

"Brie Gordon" 08-06-2008 12:00 AM

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Greg Donhardt <greg@donhardt.id.au> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
> media PC.
>
> I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and consider myself an
> advanced level user. I am looking for advice on hardware, software, how
> to go about it all.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> Greg

Greg,

I'm glad you seem to be happy with Ubuntu! Can you say more
specifically what you mean by 'media PC'? Do you want to use this as a
storage point for your multimedia? Do you want others to be able to
browse it? What kind of computer do you have?

Take a look at these links and see if they are helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaApplications
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Multimedia

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

David Curtis 08-06-2008 12:57 AM

Brie Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Greg Donhardt <greg@donhardt.id.au> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
>> media PC.
>>
>> I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and consider myself an
>> advanced level user. I am looking for advice on hardware, software, how
>> to go about it all.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --
>>

> Greg,
>
> I'm glad you seem to be happy with Ubuntu! Can you say more
> specifically what you mean by 'media PC'? Do you want to use this as a
> storage point for your multimedia? Do you want others to be able to
> browse it? What kind of computer do you have?
>
> Take a look at these links and see if they are helpful:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaApplications
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Multimedia

To add one more, you might want to look into Mythbuntu (MythTV on
Ubuntu) a community supported PVR:

http://www.mythbuntu.org/

I've never used it, so I can't comment on it.

Dave

"Brian McKee" 08-06-2008 01:13 AM

Media Centre PC - Using Ubuntu

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Greg Donhardt <greg@donhardt.id.au> wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
> media PC.
>
> I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and consider myself an
> advanced level user. I am looking for advice on hardware, software, how
> to go about it all.

Get poking around some of this stuff and you might change your mind on
the 'advanced user' part ;-)

The three bigger projects right now are MythTV, Freevo and Elisa -
with lots of others floating around too. That will get you started
with the software end of things anyway.

Media centre hardware is actually something I need to learn more about
too - maybe others have pointers for that, but I'm sure the MythTV
forums etc are good starting points too.

Mythbuntu or Elisa are probably the easier starting points. There's a
giant range of things you can do and ways to do it in this area, so I
think I'd start by playing around with whatever hardware you have on
hand and get a feel for it before you spend any money. Just dive on
in and see which way your nose leads you.

Brian

steve 08-06-2008 01:23 AM

Brie Gordon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Greg Donhardt <greg@donhardt.id.au> wrote:
>> Hi All
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
>> media PC.
>>
>> I have been using Ubuntu for about 6 months now and consider myself an
>> advanced level user. I am looking for advice on hardware, software, how
>> to go about it all.
>>
>> Any help appreciated.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> --
>>

> Greg,
>
> I'm glad you seem to be happy with Ubuntu! Can you say more
> specifically what you mean by 'media PC'? Do you want to use this as a
> storage point for your multimedia? Do you want others to be able to
> browse it? What kind of computer do you have?
>
> Take a look at these links and see if they are helpful:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Studio
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MultimediaApplications
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Multimedia

If I can guess what you mean by "media pc", Ill assume something
similiar to the windows media center pc's. I suggest you take a look at
http://www.mythbuntu.org/ and its parent project http://www.mythtv.org/
I wouldnt recommend "mythtv" for absolute beginners as it can get quite
involved even for experienced users. But, mythbuntu is quite easy to
begin with. Good luck.

- --
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

Gerry Freymann 08-06-2008 05:54 PM

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 09:16 +0930, Greg Donhardt wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience setting up ubuntu as a
media PC.

Hi Greg.

I would highly recommend MythBuntu as well. There's great reference in the MythBuntu Forums and in the parent MythTV web site.

It's fun when you start adding remote frontends, and then are able to share your media throughout your home. There are some network related issues you must set up correctly, like using the same paths to your music, pictures, videos and cover art on all your machines, and if you add a TV Tuner you have to figure out how to manage your cards, inputs and sources, and probably how to use your remote and optionally change channels on external equipment if required.

Take it one step at a time and enjoy!

LinuxMCE is a home automation solution that integrates MythTV for the PVR functions and offers a ton of other functions, but I would recommend playing with MythBuntu first.