Old 08-05-2008, 11:33 PM
Bill Taylor

Default Sound Recording

I need to make an voice only mp3 track so that the instrument players
can work on their parts before we do an original arrangement. I do not
need quality and I am using my on board AC97 but even though I have the
Mike on the Mixer opend wide open I can get no signal but the pop of the
switch to record.

Any help?
-
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806 CE
1968-69

Old 08-06-2008, 07:17 AM
andy baxter

Bill Taylor wrote:
> I need to make an voice only mp3 track so that the instrument players
> can work on their parts before we do an original arrangement. I do not
> need quality and I am using my on board AC97 but even though I have the
> Mike on the Mixer opend wide open I can get no signal but the pop of the
> switch to record.
>
> Any help?
> -

Have you looked to see if there is a 'mic boost' switch or slider for
your sound card? Also, be aware that there are usually two 'mic' sliders
for a sound card - one controls the amount of the mic input that goes
direct to the card's line out; the other controls how much of the mic
input goes to through the 'capture' channel to be recorded. You need to
have the first of these turned down or muted, and the second selected as
an input and turned up, with 'capture' also turned up. Could you report
what running the 'amixer' command in a terminal returns, and also which
desktop environment you are using (if you want a GUI solution to this).

andy

Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Bill Taylor

Thanks for the reply Andy. I'm running the 32 bit version of Hardy on a
BioStar K8M800 with an AMD 64 X2 Athlon 3400 processor with 1 gig of
memory. I do not do much music any more so I am using the on board AC
97 for sound.

Simple mixer control 'Master',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 15 [48%] [-24.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 15 [48%] [-24.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Master Mono',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 25 [81%] [-9.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Surround',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Surround Jack Mode',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Shared' 'Independent'
Item0: 'Shared'
Simple mixer control 'Center',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 31 [100%] [0.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'LFE',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-46.50dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Line',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'CD',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on] Capture [off]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [3.00dB] [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 30 [97%] [10.50dB] [off]
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Boost (+20dB)',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mic Select',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Mic1' 'Mic2'
Item0: 'Mic1'
Simple mixer control 'Video',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Phone',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch
cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off]
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on] Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Output',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback AC97-SPSA',0
Capabilities: volume volume-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Capture channels: Mono
Limits: 0 - 3
Mono: 0 [0%]
Simple mixer control 'IEC958 Playback Source',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'PCM' 'Analog In' 'IEC958 In'
Item0: 'PCM'
Simple mixer control 'PC Speaker',0
Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Limits: Playback 0 - 15
Mono: Playback 0 [0%] [-45.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'Aux',0
Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [on]
Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [-34.50dB] [off] Capture [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mono Output Select',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Mix' 'Mic'
Item0: 'Mix'
Simple mixer control 'Capture',0
Capabilities: cvolume cswitch cswitch-joined
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Capture 0 - 15
Front Left: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [on]
Front Right: Capture 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [on]
Simple mixer control 'Mix',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Mix Mono',0
Capabilities: cswitch cswitch-exclusive
Capture exclusive group: 0
Capture channels: Front Left - Front Right
Front Left: Capture [off]
Front Right: Capture [off]
Simple mixer control 'Channel Mode',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: '2ch' '4ch' '6ch'
Item0: '2ch'
Simple mixer control 'Duplicate Front',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [off]
Simple mixer control 'External Amplifier',0
Capabilities: pswitch pswitch-joined
Playback channels: Mono
Mono: Playback [on]
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',0
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Input1' 'Input2'
Item0: 'Input1'
Simple mixer control 'Input Source Select',1
Capabilities: enum
Items: 'Input1' 'Input2'
Item0: 'Input1'
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',0
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [-57.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [-57.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',1
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [-57.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [-57.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',2
Capabilities: pvolume
Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
Limits: Playback 0 - 31
Mono:
Front Left: Playback 25 [81%] [-57.00dB]
Front Right: Playback 25 [81%] [-57.00dB]
Simple mixer control 'VIA DXS',3
Capabilities: pvolume

Old 08-06-2008, 11:49 PM
andy baxter

Bill Taylor wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Andy. I'm running the 32 bit version of Hardy on a
> BioStar K8M800 with an AMD 64 X2 Athlon 3400 processor with 1 gig of
> memory. I do not do much music any more so I am using the on board AC
> 97 for sound.

I suggest you first look at the manual page for alsamixer:

man alsamixer

Then:

- type alsamixer in a terminal.
- decide whether you want to record from mic or line in.
- select one or the other as the capture source in alsamixer (you need
to press f4 to see the capture channels)
- also make sure that both the channel you have selected and the
'capture' channel have their levels turned up.
- as I said before you probably want the mic / line in playback channels
turned off.
- if necessary turn on the 'mic boost' switch.

then see what happens and report back.

There are GUI ways of doing this as well, but I don't know if you're
using Gnome or KDE.

andy

Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 AM
Bill Taylor

Thanks Andy,
I'm running the gnome desktop and after poking around I found the
controls on the GUI and performed the suggested actions and it works
quite well.
-
Bond Servant,
Bill Taylor
Killer Spade 806 CE
1968-69

Old 02-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Robert Parker

I am getting nowhere with using Skype on my 8.10 system (eeepc 701).

I just installed Audacity and I can record and playback now so my mic
and sound capture device work but I can not make a test call through
Skype.
Where from here please?

Cheers Bob Parker
--
In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

Old 02-13-2009, 09:45 PM
"a_puzzeled_newbie(^_^);"

test to see that your mic is being used by the software. If not it wont pick anything up.

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 5:40 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:

I am getting nowhere with using Skype on my 8.10 system (eeepc 701).

I just installed Audacity and I can record and playback now so my mic

and sound capture device work but I can not make a test call through

Skype.

Where from here please?

Cheers Bob Parker

--

In a world without walls who needs Windows (or Gates)? Try Linux instead!

"Future generations may dismiss the Second World War as 'just another war.'
Those who experienced it know that it was a war justified in its aims and successful in accomplishing them. Despite all the killing and destruction that accompanied it, the Second World War was a good war."

- A.J.P Taylor, The Second World War

Old 02-13-2009, 10:50 PM
David Fox

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 2:40 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am getting nowhere with using Skype on my 8.10 system (eeepc 701).
>
> I just installed Audacity and I can record and playback now so my mic
> and sound capture device work but I can not make a test call through

This has been a sticky point for me for sometime on my new laptop,
using thIe intel hda sound system. I had trouble with it not picking
up the microphone. Now, I am runing jaunty test and I just installed
ekiga from medibuntu. But I used audacity because I can experiment
with the mixer settings while recording tracks to see what is going on
and what is not working.

Evidently, you need to fire up your mixer (kmix here) and make sure
that nothing is muted, and that you are setting the right capture
device. If your laptop has an internal microphone, you want to go to
the capture source button and select Int Mic rather than Front Mic.
Otherwise, no sound will be captured, or will be echoed to the server,
in the case of skype. It also seems that "Capture" slider must be
raised as well, which is confusing.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Lucio M Nicolosi

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 8:40 PM, Robert Parker <rlp1938@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am getting nowhere with using Skype on my 8.10 system (eeepc 701).
>
> I just installed Audacity and I can record and playback now so my mic
> and sound capture device work but I can not make a test call through
> Skype.

> Where from here please?
>
> Cheers Bob Parker

It seems there are some issues with PulseAudio with Skype. Try googleing it.

For me Skype began to work better after a PulseAudio update from
Intrepid-Proposed.

L.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:49 AM
Robert Parker

Thanks for help guys!

Here is what finally made it work:

1. Update pulseaudio as per this link;
2. Settings for Skype Version 2; Main Menu > Options > Sound Devices
Sound In HDA Intel (hw:Intel,0)
Sound Out Pulse
Ringing Pulse

I guess the Skype settings may particular to the sound device on my 3e 701

Cheers Bob