Old 08-05-2008, 10:30 PM
NoOp

Default I'm a new member and a question: Error during the installation of Ubuntu 8.04.1

On 08/05/2008 06:03 AM, Demetry wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Firstly, I'm a new member here. My name is Demetry, and I'm from Germany.
>
> Normally, I use a machine with Windows Vista Home Premium. And now, I
> would like to install Ubuntu as a second operating system.
> I used the WUBI tool from the CD. The installation started and prepared
> the setup. It was created an new image around 720 MB huge.
>
> Umm, I'm a blind user. Under Windows I use JAWS.
>
> Back to my problem: I started the WUBI installer and after a few minutes
> I should restart the machine. And as I selected the Ubuntu to start I
> get every to,e an error message. Because I am almost blind. Something
> with MP-BIOS bug... and apic or so. The message was very long I can't
> read that really. The system stops and i can not anything as to do press
> a reset button from my pc.
> I need to use in Ubuntu the screen reader Orca or the braille display.
> I've here a PAC Mate display of Freedom Scientific.
>
> Additionally, what can I do as next?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Demetry

Not sure this will work with WUBI installs, but on the Alternate CD it
provides Accessability options by selecting F5:

High Contrast
Magnifier
Screen Reader
Braille Terminal
Keyboard Modifiers
On-Screen Keyboard

The help file also shows options that can be placed in the grub boot
configuration:

Use Braille tty: britty=driver,device,texttabel
Use high contrast accessibility them: theme=dark

So to use those, at boot after the "Starting..." appears, hit the ESC
key to show the grub menu. Then enter 'e', then down arrow to get to the
kernel line, then 'e' again, then following 'splash' enter a space and
the added boot command: theme=dark or britty=driver,device,texttabel

You might find this helpful:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Accessibility

Beyond that I can't be much further help as I've not used WUBI or any of
the accessability options. I'm changing your subject line to include
Accessibility as there are blind users on this list & perhaps that will
help get their attention.