Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM

Default KDE Question

My immediate question would be; if you now allow the new user to login under Gnome, quit Gnome and then attempt to login again under kde, what happens? Is the problem simply having Gnome config files (or in my case kde 3.5.9) or something else?

When I did this, no "interactions", but I never traced the problem. It's worth noting that a number of gnome directories (.gconf, .gonfd, .gnome, .gnome2_private, .gnupg) are created in the user account even if one never uses Gnome. I assume these are to support gtk based apps.
Paul

From: Jim Smith <jim@oz.net>

Old 08-05-2008, 09:24 PM
Jim Smith

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> My immediate question would be; if you now allow the new user to login under Gnome, quit Gnome and then attempt to login again under kde, what happens? Is the problem simply having Gnome config files (or in my case kde 3.5.9) or something else?
>
> When I did this, no "interactions", but I never traced the problem. It's worth noting that a number of gnome directories (.gconf, .gonfd, .gnome, .gnome2_private, .gnupg) are created in the user account even if one never uses Gnome. I assume these are to support gtk based apps.
> Paul

> From: Jim Smith <jim@oz.net>
>
>> pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
>>
>>> I've seen some strange interactions between kde4.1 config files and non-4.1
>>>
>> config files within a user account.
>>
>>> Do you get the same behavior when you login as a different user that has never
>>>
>> logged in under Gnome?
>>
>>> Paul

There appear to be both .kde and .kde4 config files. Perhaps kde4.1
can't discriminate between the two. In addition .xsession-errors
contains some kde references but they make no sense to me. Perhaps to
you or someone?

Thank you

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...
Setting IM through im-switch for locale=en_US.
Start IM through /home/jim/.xinput.d/en_US linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim.
Smart Common Input Method 1.4.7

Launching a SCIM daemon with Socket FrontEnd...
Creating backend ...
Starting SCIM as daemon ...
Launching a SCIM process with x11...
Creating backend ...
GTK Panel of SCIM 1.4.7

Starting SCIM as daemon ...
SCIM has been successfully launched.
SESSION_MANAGER=local/JimsBook:/tmp/.ICE-unix/6547
ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
ALSA lib control.c:909snd_ctl_open_noupdate) Invalid CTL front:0
Shutdown failed or nothing to shut down.
xrdb: "*Label.background" on line 220 overrides entry on line 150
xrdb: "*Text.background" on line 226 overrides entry on line 191
xrdb: "*Label.foreground" on line 232 overrides entry on line 151
xrdb: "*Text.foreground" on line 238 overrides entry on line 192
Window manager warning: "" found in configuration database is not a valid value for keybinding "toggle_shaded"
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Sandwish": Failed to find a valid file for theme Sandwish

Tracker version 0.6.6 Copyright (c) 2005-2007 by Jamie McCracken (jamiemcc@gnome.org)

This program is free software and comes without any warranty.
It is licensed under version 2 or later of the General Public License which can be viewed at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

Initialising tracker...

** (trackerd:6705): WARNING **: Tracker daemon is already running - attempting to run in readonly mode
Could not set idle IO priority...attempting best effort 7 priority
starting HAL detection for ac adaptors...14
Initializing nautilus-share extension
seahorse nautilus module initialized
found /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/computer_power_supply_ac_adapter_ACAD
GSynaptics couldn't initialize.
You have to set 'SHMConfig' 'true' in Xorg.conf or XFree86.conf to use GSynaptics
Throttle level is 0
F-Spot 0.4.3.1 - (c)2003-2008, Novell Inc
Personal photo management for the GNOME Desktop

Usage: f-spot [options]
-b -basedir PARAM path to the photo database folder
-? -help -usage Show this help list
-i -import PARAM import from the given uri
-p -photodir PARAM default import folder
-shutdown shutdown a running f-spot instance
-slideshow display a slideshow
-V -version Display version and licensing information
-versions Display version and dependencies informations
-v -view view file(s) or directory(ies)
evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Setting timeout for 38995 1218006000 1217967005
evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Wed Aug 6 00:00:00 2008

evolution-alarm-notify-Message: Tue Aug 5 13:10:05 2008

** (nautilus:6681): WARNING **: Unable to add monitor: Not supported
kbuildsycoca running...
Unable to open desktop file /usr/share/applications/mozilla-thunderbird.desktop for panel launcher: No such file or directory
konqueror: WARNING: Unknown class in session saved data!
Window manager warning: Buggy client sent a _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW message with a timestamp of 0 for 0x3200020 (Music Play)
Window manager warning: meta_window_activate called by a pager with a 0 timestamp; the pager needs to be fixed.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetMIMEDescription
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetMIMEDescription return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetValue: returning plugin name.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetValue return
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetValue
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetValue: returning plugin description.
GCJ PLUGIN: thread 0x805f110: NP_GetValue return
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
** Message: GetValue variable 1 (1)
** Message: GetValue variable 2 (2)
PID TTY TIME CMD
PID TTY TIME CMD
6660 ? 00:00:00 pulseaudio
kbuildsycoca running...
Reusing existing ksycoca

Old 10-12-2010, 02:37 AM
"Dmitryi"

KDE 4 is a nightmare. How can KDE 3.5.x be installed on Debian testing?
Is there a package repository somewhere?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:20 AM
Mihira Fernando

On 10/12/2010 08:07 AM, Dmitryi wrote:

KDE 4 is a nightmare. How can KDE 3.5.x be installed on Debian testing?
Is there a package repository somewhere?

Lenny has KDE 3.5 in the repos.

The Trinity project has 3.5 repos for Ubuntu :
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html

you can use one of these to get KDE 3.5 on testing

Archive: 4CB3D40C.4050807@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CB3D40C.4050807@gmail.com

Old 10-12-2010, 04:54 AM
Greg Madden

On Monday 11 October 2010 18:37:24 Dmitryi wrote:
> KDE 4 is a nightmare. How can KDE 3.5.x be installed on Debian testing?
> Is there a package repository somewhere?

I am using these on 64 bit Squeeze.

http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Roman Khomasuridze

Try trinity, It has debian stable/testing repositories, and works quite well, i tested it on lenny installation and worked flawlesely.
Project is doing surprisingly fine though there aren't too much contributors.

Regards
------------
Roman

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201010112054.58507.gomadtroll@gci.net

Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 AM
Lisi

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 04:20:44 Mihira Fernando wrote:
> The Trinity project has 3.5 repos for Ubuntu :
> http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html

Also for Debian.

Lisi

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Mihira Fernando

On 10/12/2010 01:43 PM, Lisi wrote:

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 04:20:44 Mihira Fernando wrote:

The Trinity project has 3.5 repos for Ubuntu :
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html

Also for Debian.

Lisi

They have repos for Squeeze as well ? thought the repo was for Lenny...

Archive: 4CB41925.9080708@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CB41925.9080708@gmail.com

Old 10-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Lisi

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 09:15:33 Mihira Fernando wrote:
> On 10/12/2010 01:43 PM, Lisi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 12 October 2010 04:20:44 Mihira Fernando wrote:
> >> The Trinity project has 3.5 repos for Ubuntu :
> >> http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html
> >
> > Also for Debian.
> >
> > Lisi
>
> They have repos for Squeeze as well ? thought the repo was for Lenny...

They have both. It has been available for Squeeze for some time, but is now
available for Lenny as well.

The hyperlink above is just for Ubuntu. Here is the correct one which is for
all available distros:

http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

They have added Slackware since I last looked, so there are now repos for
Ubuntu from Intrepid on, Lenny, Squeeze and Slackware 12.2.

Lisi

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Mihira Fernando

On 10/12/2010 02:19 PM, Lisi wrote:

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 09:15:33 Mihira Fernando wrote:

On 10/12/2010 01:43 PM, Lisi wrote:

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 04:20:44 Mihira Fernando wrote:

The Trinity project has 3.5 repos for Ubuntu :
http://apt.pearsoncomputing.net/install.html

Also for Debian.

Lisi

They have repos for Squeeze as well ? thought the repo was for Lenny...

They have both. It has been available for Squeeze for some time, but is now
available for Lenny as well.

The hyperlink above is just for Ubuntu. Here is the correct one which is for
all available distros:

http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/

They have added Slackware since I last looked, so there are now repos for
Ubuntu from Intrepid on, Lenny, Squeeze and Slackware 12.2.

Lisi

Nice! Thanks for the update.