-   -   nfs mount not working (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/138083-nfs-mount-not-working.html)

"Donny George" 08-05-2008 07:58 PM

nfs mount not working

hello

i have been trying to set up an nfs mount on a server and client machines which is running on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit version. I have followed the forums for this

edited the /etc/exports on server

/home/tmp
192.168.1.24(rw,no_root_squash,async)

and modified the /etc/fstab as

server.mydomain.com:/files /files nfs
rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

restarted all the necessary services and stil, it doesnt allow the client to modify the contents of the mounted folder.

have i set the permissions right or am i doing it completely wrong. could some one guide me how i cud successfully get this going.

thnx for the help in advance

donny

"Mark Haney" 08-05-2008 08:05 PM

nfs mount not working

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> i have been trying to set up an nfs mount on a server and client machines
> which is running on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit version. I have followed the forums
> for this
>
> edited the /etc/exports on server
>
> /home/tmp 192.168.1.24(rw,no_root_squash,async)
>

> and modified the /etc/fstab as
>
> server.mydomain.com:/files /files nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>

> restarted all the necessary services and stil, it doesnt allow the client to
> modify the contents of the mounted folder.
>

> have i set the permissions right or am i doing it completely wrong. could
> some one guide me how i cud successfully get this going.
>

> thnx for the help in advance
>
> donny

Sounds to me like the user doesn't have the rights to modify the files
in that directory. Remember, just because the NFS mount is RW doesn't
mean that automatically gives the user the correct file permissions.
What does an 'ls -l' show on that mount from that user account?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

"Donny George" 08-05-2008 09:29 PM

nfs mount not working

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Donny George wrote:

> hello

> i have been trying to set up an nfs mount on a server and client machines

> which is running on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit version. I have followed the forums

> for this

> edited the /etc/exports on server

> /home/tmp 192.168.1.24(rw,no_root_squash,async)

> and modified the /etc/fstab as

> * server.mydomain.com:/files /files nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

> restarted all the necessary services and stil, it doesnt allow the client to

> modify the contents of the mounted folder.

> have i set the permissions right or am i doing it completely wrong. could

> some one guide me how i cud successfully get this going.

> thnx for the help in advance

> donny

Sounds to me like the user doesn't have the rights to modify the files

in that directory. *Remember, just because the NFS mount is RW doesn't

mean that automatically gives the user the correct file permissions.

What does an 'ls -l' show on that mount from that user account?

Mark Haney

Sr. Systems Administrator

ERC Broadband

(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

hello mark

i guess i get the point. so you meant that i have to set the read write permission to all users. i am not an expert in ubuntu but i hope i get this basic part which u said

can i do it with chmod ogu=rwx i am not sure about this command is this the right one to set the rw permission to all users ?

donny

David Curtis 08-06-2008 12:37 AM

nfs mount not working

Donny George wrote:
> hello
>
> i have been trying to set up an nfs mount on a server and client machines which
> is running on ubuntu 8.04 32 bit version. I have followed the forums for this
>
> edited the /etc/exports on server
>
> |/home/tmp 192.168.1.24 <http://192.168.1.24>(rw,no_root_squash,async)|

> |and modified the /etc/fstab as
> |

> server.mydomain.com:/files /files nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>

> restarted all the necessary services and stil, it doesnt allow the client to
> modify the contents of the mounted folder.
>

> have i set the permissions right or am i doing it completely wrong. could some
> one guide me how i cud successfully get this going.
>

> thnx for the help in advance
>
> donny

Donny, I see one thing wrong for sure and possibly a second and maybe a
third and fourth.

First off, in /etc/fstab your using /files instead of /home/tmp.

Second which fstab did you edit? The server or the client, it's the
client that wants to mount the servers export. Edit the client's /etc/fstab.

Thirdly a guess here. 192.168.1.24 is your client right? It should be.

And fourthly, you might not be able to resolve 'server.mydomain.com' to
your server's IP address if you do not have some sort of
DNS/resolve.conf solution. If this is the case, replace
server.mydomain.com with your server's IP address in the client's
/etc/fstab. (simplest solution to this problem)

Hope I got everything. NFS experts?

Dave

"Mark Haney" 08-06-2008 12:18 PM

nfs mount not working

Donny George wrote:

> hello mark
>
> i guess i get the point. so you meant that i have to set the read write permission to all users. i am not an expert in ubuntu but i hope i get this basic part which u said
>
> can i do it with chmod ogu=rwx i am not sure about this command is this the right one to set the rw permission to all users ?
>
> donny

Not exactly. Let me see if I can explain a little better. The issue (I
think, based on what you've told us) is that you have a user on System A
that is trying to modify a file (via an NFS mount) on System B. Keep in
mind here that in effect user A is simply trying to change a file on
System B. If user A doesn't have /permission/ to change that file on
System B he won't be able to.

The fact that NFS is set to RW gives him the capability to change the
file, but only if he has the correct permissions to that file.

Does that make sense? In effect the user accounts on System A and
System B must be identical (not exactly, but or this, let's keep it
simple) in order for this to work. This means UIDs and GIDs.

If you have two user accounts 'Bob' (one on each system), and the UIDs
don't match, then even though Bob can mount the filesystem via NFS, he
won't be able to modify the file since the UIDs don't match.

Really, this isn't an NFS issue, so much as a file permissions issue ON
THE SYSTEMS.

Do this, have that user log into the NFS server via ssh and see if he
can modify the file that you are having trouble with. If I'm right, he
won't be able to that way either.

You know, after reading this to myself, I realize how crappy it sounds.
I'll be glad to work with you offlist since I deal with NFS a lot.

"Donny George" 08-06-2008 01:05 PM

nfs mount not working

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Donny George wrote:

> hello mark

> i guess i get the point. so you meant that i have to set the read write permission to all users. i am not an expert in ubuntu but i hope i get this basic part which u said

> can i do it with chmod ogu=rwx i am not sure about this command is this the right one to set the rw permission to all users ?

> donny

Not exactly. *Let me see if I can explain a little better. *The issue (I

think, based on what you've told us) is that you have a user on System A

that is trying to modify a file (via an NFS mount) on System B. *Keep in

mind here that in effect user A is simply trying to change a file on

System B. *If user A doesn't have /permission/ to change that file on

System B he won't be able to.

The fact that NFS is set to RW gives him the capability to change the

file, but only if he has the correct permissions to that file.

Does that make sense? *In effect the user accounts on System A and

System B must be identical (not exactly, but or this, let's keep it

simple) in order for this to work. *This means UIDs and GIDs.

If you have two user accounts 'Bob' (one on each system), and the UIDs

don't match, then even though Bob can mount the filesystem via NFS, he

won't be able to modify the file since the UIDs don't match.

Really, this isn't an NFS issue, so much as a file permissions issue ON

THE SYSTEMS.

Do this, have that user log into the NFS server via ssh and see if he

can modify the file that you are having trouble with. *If I'm right, he

won't be able to that way either.

You know, after reading this to myself, I realize how crappy it sounds.

*I'll be glad to work with you offlist since I deal with NFS a lot.

Mark Haney

Sr. Systems Administrator

ERC Broadband

(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

hey mark

thankyou for the mail

and now its seems working

this is the etc/export on the server

/home/users 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)

/srv 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)

and the clients etc/fstab is

10.4.139.2:/srv /srv nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
10.4.139.2:/home/users /home/users nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

this is working at the moment

but i dont know wen it will stop working :)

donny

"Mark Haney" 08-06-2008 01:21 PM

nfs mount not working

Donny George wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> hey mark
>
> thankyou for the mail
>
> and now its seems working
>
> this is the etc/export on the server
>
> /home/users 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)
> /srv 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)
>

> and the clients etc/fstab is
>
> 10.4.139.2:/srv /srv nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
> 10.4.139.2:/home/users /home/users nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>
> this is working at the moment
>
> but i dont know wen it will stop working :)
>
> donny

I'm don't see how it could be working unless the user accounts were
sync'd up, or you just chmod'd everything wide open on those nfs mounts.
Having RW on the export give the user the ability but not the
permissions to modify a file on the mount. That's a whole separate issue.

"Donny George" 08-06-2008 01:27 PM

nfs mount not working

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Donny George wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

> hey mark

> thankyou for the mail

> and now its seems working

> this is the etc/export on the server

> /home/users 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)

> /srv 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)

> and the clients etc/fstab is

> 10.4.139.2:/srv /srv nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

> 10.4.139.2:/home/users /home/users nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

> this is working at the moment

> but i dont know wen it will stop working :)

> donny

I'm don't see how it could be working unless the user accounts were

sync'd up, or you just chmod'd everything wide open on those nfs mounts.

*Having RW on the export give the user the ability but not the

permissions to modify a file on the mount. That's a whole separate issue.

Mark Haney

Sr. Systems Administrator

ERC Broadband

(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

hey

i reset the read write persmissions for the shared files on the server. i reset it to all. so may be that explains why i can create or write on this shared files

donny

"Mark Haney" 08-06-2008 01:37 PM

nfs mount not working

Donny George wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:
>
>> Donny George wrote:
>>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> hey mark
>>>
>>> thankyou for the mail
>>>
>>> and now its seems working
>>>
>>> this is the etc/export on the server
>>>
>>> /home/users 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)
>>> /srv 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)
>>>

>>> and the clients etc/fstab is
>>>
>>> 10.4.139.2:/srv /srv nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>>> 10.4.139.2:/home/users /home/users nfs
>> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr
>>> this is working at the moment
>>>
>>> but i dont know wen it will stop working :)
>>>
>>> donny
>>>

>> I'm don't see how it could be working unless the user accounts were
>> sync'd up, or you just chmod'd everything wide open on those nfs mounts.
>> Having RW on the export give the user the ability but not the
>> permissions to modify a file on the mount. That's a whole separate issue.
>>

>> --
>> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>>

>> Mark Haney
>> Sr. Systems Administrator
>> ERC Broadband
>> (828) 350-2415
>>
>> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>>
>> --
>>

> hey
>

> i reset the read write persmissions for the shared files on the server. i
> reset it to all. so may be that explains why i can create or write on this
> shared files
>

> donny

Well, if you're okay with that security hole, that is perfectly acceptable.

"Donny George" 08-06-2008 01:48 PM

nfs mount not working

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:37 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

Donny George wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 3:21 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org> wrote:

>> Donny George wrote:

>>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Mark Haney <mhaney@ercbroadband.org>

>> wrote:

>>> hey mark

>>> thankyou for the mail

>>> and now its seems working

>>> this is the etc/export on the server

>>> /home/users 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)

>>> /srv 10.4.139.3(rw,no_root_squash,async)

>>> and the clients etc/fstab is

>>> 10.4.139.2:/srv /srv nfs rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

>>> 10.4.139.2:/home/users /home/users nfs

>> rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr

>>> this is working at the moment

>>> but i dont know wen it will stop working :)

>>> donny

>> I'm don't see how it could be working unless the user accounts were

>> sync'd up, or you just chmod'd everything wide open on those nfs mounts.

>> *Having RW on the export give the user the ability but not the

>> permissions to modify a file on the mount. That's a whole separate issue.

>> --

>> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar

>> Mark Haney

>> Sr. Systems Administrator

>> ERC Broadband

>> (828) 350-2415

>> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

>> --

> hey

> i reset the read write persmissions for the shared files on the server. i

> reset it to all. so may be that explains why i can create or write on this

> shared files

> donny

Well, if you're okay with that security hole, that is perfectly acceptable.

Mark Haney

Sr. Systems Administrator

ERC Broadband

(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

hey mark

at the moment i just needed it to get LDAP running. so once its runs perfectly fine then i will look into the secirty lapse

don