Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
NoOp

Default edubuntu upgrade

On 08/05/2008 12:23 PM, norman wrote:
> I decided to upgrade my granddaughters computer from Edubuntu 7.10 to
> Edubuntu 8.04. All went well until the final few minutes when the
> packages were being processed. The processing stopped at the line
> 'en_AU.UTF-8 . . . ' which was preceded by 'Generating locales'. After
> waiting for about 30 minutes, in desperation, I switched the computer
> off, waited a few minutes and then switched on again. Booting
> progressed, I was asked for name and then password and then the screen
> stayed a sort of pale brown otherwise blank.
>
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, entered name and password and got a terminal. Following a
> suggestion I did sudo dpkg --configure -a and again the processing stuck
> at the same place as it had before.
>
> I would be most grateful if someone could suggest how I could try to
> overcome this problem otherwise I suppose I will have to download
> Edubuntu 8.04 and install it over the part processed Edubuntu that is
> there.
>
> Norman

I recognize that one. Have a look here for workarounds:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/langpack-locales/+bug/249340

Old 08-05-2008, 08:27 PM
norman

< snip >

> > Ctrl-Alt-F1, entered name and password and got a terminal. Following a
> > suggestion I did sudo dpkg --configure -a and again the processing stuck
> > at the same place as it had before.
> >
> > I would be most grateful if someone could suggest how I could try to
> > overcome this problem otherwise I suppose I will have to download
> > Edubuntu 8.04 and install it over the part processed Edubuntu that is
> > there.

> I recognize that one. Have a look here for workarounds:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/langpack-locales/+bug/249340

Thank you very much, this looks good. I will report when I have the time
to try it.

Norman

Old 08-05-2008, 09:32 PM
NoOp

On 08/05/2008 01:27 PM, norman wrote:
> < snip >
>> >
>> > Ctrl-Alt-F1, entered name and password and got a terminal. Following a
>> > suggestion I did sudo dpkg --configure -a and again the processing stuck
>> > at the same place as it had before.
>> >
>> > I would be most grateful if someone could suggest how I could try to
>> > overcome this problem otherwise I suppose I will have to download
>> > Edubuntu 8.04 and install it over the part processed Edubuntu that is
>> > there.
>

>> I recognize that one. Have a look here for workarounds:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/langpack-locales/+bug/249340
>
> Thank you very much, this looks good. I will report when I have the time
> to try it.
>
> Norman

I'm actually upgrading a Gutsy machine now to Hardy & sure enough it hit
again on this machine that I'm upgrading. It's a stupid bug that should
have been fixed in 8.04.1.

What I'll do is open a terminal window, kill locale and then let it go
on and finish leaving the multiple packages unconfigured. Then I use the
'dpkg --configure -a' & let it run through that, and then and 'sudo
apt-get dist-upgrade' followed by 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'. I should
be finished in about an hour or so and will let you know how it went.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 PM
NoOp

On 08/05/2008 02:32 PM, NoOp wrote:

> I'm actually upgrading a Gutsy machine now to Hardy & sure enough it hit
> again on this machine that I'm upgrading. It's a stupid bug that should
> have been fixed in 8.04.1.
>
> What I'll do is open a terminal window, kill locale and then let it go
> on and finish leaving the multiple packages unconfigured. Then I use the
> 'dpkg --configure -a' & let it run through that, and then and 'sudo
> apt-get dist-upgrade' followed by 'dpkg-reconfigure locales'. I should
> be finished in about an hour or so and will let you know how it went.

OK. It's complete. When you reboot use the "recovery mode" and at the
options screen the option to reconfigure dpkg's. Let it complete the
reconfiguration, then enter 'exit' and back at the options select the
xfix option, let it complete and then select the first option to
continue to boot normally.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM
norman

> Thank you very much, this looks good. I will report when I have the time
> to try it.

Thanks again to NoOp for the reference and the encouragement to have a
go. Edubuntu is up and running.

Norman

Old 08-06-2008, 03:36 PM
NoOp

On 08/06/2008 05:04 AM, norman wrote:
>> Thank you very much, this looks good. I will report when I have the time
>> to try it.
>
> Thanks again to NoOp for the reference and the encouragement to have a
> go. Edubuntu is up and running.
>
> Norman

Excellent! Hopefully the bug can be resolved soon so that others don't
experience the same problem. I'm loading a test machine with Gutsy to
see if I can reliably reproduce. There is some question if this only
occurs with the Gutsy 2.3.22-15 kernel; can you please check to see if
your kernel was 2.3.22-14 or 2.3.22-15? It will be the last kernel in
your grub menu before the new Hardy 2.6.24-20 kernel.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:20 PM
"Brie Gordon"

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:36 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 08/06/2008 05:04 AM, norman wrote:
>>> Thank you very much, this looks good. I will report when I have the time
>>> to try it.
>>
>> Thanks again to NoOp for the reference and the encouragement to have a
>> go. Edubuntu is up and running.
>>
>> Norman
>>

> Excellent! Hopefully the bug can be resolved soon so that others don't
> experience the same problem. I'm loading a test machine with Gutsy to
> see if I can reliably reproduce. There is some question if this only
> occurs with the Gutsy 2.3.22-15 kernel; can you please check to see if
> your kernel was 2.3.22-14 or 2.3.22-15? It will be the last kernel in
> your grub menu before the new Hardy 2.6.24-20 kernel.

I just reproduced this error last night. I will test this solution
tonight and update the appropriate places.

Thanks for bringing this matter to light.

Brie A. Gordon
A Linux Chica

http://granite.sru.edu/~bag6849/index.html

Old 08-06-2008, 06:31 PM
NoOp

On 08/06/2008 10:20 AM, Brie Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 11:36 AM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>> Excellent! Hopefully the bug can be resolved soon so that others don't
>> experience the same problem. I'm loading a test machine with Gutsy to
>> see if I can reliably reproduce. There is some question if this only
>> occurs with the Gutsy 2.3.22-15 kernel; can you please check to see if
>> your kernel was 2.3.22-14 or 2.3.22-15? It will be the last kernel in
>> your grub menu before the new Hardy 2.6.24-20 kernel.
>>

> I just reproduced this error last night. I will test this solution
> tonight and update the appropriate places.
>
> Thanks for bringing this matter to light.

Thanks Brie. Bug is here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/langpack-locales/+bug/249340
I've got two test machines today - unfortunately they are very slow
w/limited memory in both so I won't be able to provide and results until
later in the day. I'll test -14 on one and -15 on the other.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
norman

> Excellent! Hopefully the bug can be resolved soon so that others don't
> experience the same problem. I'm loading a test machine with Gutsy to
> see if I can reliably reproduce. There is some question if this only
> occurs with the Gutsy 2.3.22-15 kernel; can you please check to see if
> your kernel was 2.3.22-14 or 2.3.22-15? It will be the last kernel in
> your grub menu before the new Hardy 2.6.24-20 kernel.

The kernel was 2.6.22-15. I assume you did not mean 2.3.22-15.

Norman

Old 08-06-2008, 07:10 PM
NoOp

On 08/06/2008 12:07 PM, norman wrote:

>> Excellent! Hopefully the bug can be resolved soon so that others don't
>> experience the same problem. I'm loading a test machine with Gutsy to
>> see if I can reliably reproduce. There is some question if this only
>> occurs with the Gutsy 2.3.22-15 kernel; can you please check to see if
>> your kernel was 2.3.22-14 or 2.3.22-15? It will be the last kernel in
>> your grub menu before the new Hardy 2.6.24-20 kernel.
>
> The kernel was 2.6.22-15. I assume you did not mean 2.3.22-15.
>
> Norman

Yep. Thanks.