Old 08-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Jim Smith

Default KDE Question

I recently installed KDE 4.1 to test it on this laptop. When selecting a
KDE4.1 session at the login screen, it will start up, go thru the splash
screen and the music then freeze with a blank black screen. I have to
ctrl-alt-bkspc to get back to the login screen. I seem to remember
seeing something about this in this forum previously. I also understand
that KDE4.X is undergoing heavy work at this time. Has anyone else had
this result? Is there a more proper forum for this question? Gnome is my
main desktop and this is my play machine, no serious work is allowed here.

Thanks in advance....

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM

I've seen some strange interactions between kde4.1 config files and non-4.1 config files within a user account.

Do you get the same behavior when you login as a different user that has never logged in under Gnome?

Paul

From: Jim Smith <jim@oz.net>

Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Jim Smith

pkaplan1@comcast.net wrote:
> I've seen some strange interactions between kde4.1 config files and non-4.1 config files within a user account.
>
> Do you get the same behavior when you login as a different user that has never logged in under Gnome?
>
> Paul

> From: Jim Smith <jim@oz.net>
>
>> I recently installed KDE 4.1 to test it on this laptop. When selecting a
>> KDE4.1 session at the login screen, it will start up, go thru the splash
>> screen and the music then freeze with a blank black screen. I have to
>> ctrl-alt-bkspc to get back to the login screen. I seem to remember
>> seeing something about this in this forum previously. I also understand
>> that KDE4.X is undergoing heavy work at this time. Has anyone else had
>> this result? Is there a more proper forum for this question?
>>

>> --

I created a new user, assigned KDE4 as that user's default and logged
in. KDE4.1 came up "normally", that is without too many bizarre effects.
There must be a file to edit or delete.
I'll do more research. What fun.....

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............