Old 08-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Rashkae

Default update-alternatives, was: Where art thou 'rename'

Rashkae wrote:

> If I run:
> update-alternatives --config rename
>
> The output returns:
>
> There is only 1 program which provides rename
> (/usr/bin/prename). Nothing to configure.
>
> which is incorrect, as I have rename.ul on my system and I confirmed it
> works. Should this be a bug in update-alternatives packages or
> util-linux package? I suspect util-linux should be adding files that
> update-alternatives needs to know to do it's thing.

the missing magic is:

update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/rename rename /usr/bin/rename.ul
50 --slave /usr/share/man/man1/rename.1.gz rename.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/rename.ul.1.gz

Which should have been done as part of the util-linux package install.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Derek Broughton

Rashkae wrote:

> Rashkae wrote:
>
>> The rename from util-linux I'm familiar with is in a binary named
>> reanme.ul Fair enough. Now I just need to figure out the proper way of
>> changing an alternative in Ubuntu. But that's low priority for me atm.
>>

> Nothing is ever easy.
>
> If I run:
> update-alternatives --config rename
>
> The output returns:
>
> There is only 1 program which provides rename
> (/usr/bin/prename). Nothing to configure.
>
> which is incorrect, as I have rename.ul on my system and I confirmed it
> works. Should this be a bug in update-alternatives packages or
> util-linux package? I suspect util-linux should be adding files that
> update-alternatives needs to know to do it's thing.

Well, I wouldn't call it a bug (is rename.ul actually the rename you
want?) - but you should be able to add rename.ul to update-alternatives if
you want it.

It should just be "update-alternatives --set rename /path-to/rename.ul" .
If that does what you want, file a wishlist bug against util-linux.
--
derek