Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
Rashkae

Default update-alternatives, was: Where art thou 'rename'

Rashkae wrote:

> The rename from util-linux I'm familiar with is in a binary named
> reanme.ul Fair enough. Now I just need to figure out the proper way of
> changing an alternative in Ubuntu. But that's low priority for me atm.

Nothing is ever easy.

If I run:
update-alternatives --config rename

The output returns:

There is only 1 program which provides rename
(/usr/bin/prename). Nothing to configure.

which is incorrect, as I have rename.ul on my system and I confirmed it
works. Should this be a bug in update-alternatives packages or
util-linux package? I suspect util-linux should be adding files that
update-alternatives needs to know to do it's thing.