-   -   if Ubuntu @ Atom then no special set-up has to been done? (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/138018-if-ubuntu-atom-then-no-special-set-up-has-been-done.html)

Mario Vukelic 08-05-2008 06:37 PM

if Ubuntu @ Atom then no special set-up has to been done?

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 02:14 +0900, '2+ wrote:
> ubuntu team seems to also have thangs like:
> Ubuntu Mobile Internet Device (MID) Edition

It would seem that this is for smaller, iPhone-like devices:
http://www.ubuntu.com/products/mobile

> Ubuntu Netbook Remix

This one is for netbooks (think from eeePC to 10" devices like the MSI
Wind). It has a different user interface and is "optimised for netbook
components - built from the ground up to take advantage of speedand
power capabilities of the chip set".
http://www.canonical.com/netbooks

The regular Ubuntu can be installed on Atom (I didn't check for C7), but
I expect it to usually take some tweaking, see docs for the eeePC here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EeePC

I don't know if Canonical intends to tailor the Netbook Remix for
specific devices, or whether it is supposed to work on any netbook you
install it on. However, the instructions for the eeePC are surprisingly
short: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu_netbook_remix

Here is Netbook Remix on MSI Wind:
http://forums.msiwind.net/default-msiwind/ubuntu-netbook-remix-t873.html
http://forums.msiwind.net/default-msiwind/have-the-wireless-drivers-but-t840.html

"Brian McKee" 08-05-2008 09:18 PM

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:37 PM, Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 02:14 +0900, '2+ wrote:
>> ubuntu team seems to also have thangs like:
>> Ubuntu Netbook Remix
> I don't know if Canonical intends to tailor the Netbook Remix for
> specific devices, or whether it is supposed to work on any netbook you
> install it on. However, the instructions for the eeePC are surprisingly
> short: http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ubuntu_netbook_remix

I tried it on a regular Hardy desktop a couple of weeks back. It's an
interesting idea - esp for novice users or small screens. At the time
it was annoyingly slow doing some simple things, but I'm sure they've
been working on that. If anybody's interested set up a new user
account and follow the instructions.

Brian

Mario Vukelic 08-06-2008 04:27 AM

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 17:18 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> At the time
> it was annoyingly slow doing some simple things,

Could you elaborate? My Ubuntu-using SO awaits the arrival of actual
Atom machines in stores to pick one (most likely a 10" model like the
MSI Wind), and I've been looking into possible OSes.

"Brian McKee" 08-11-2008 07:09 PM

if Ubuntu @ Atom then no special set-up has to been done?

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Mario Vukelic
<mario.vukelic@dantian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 17:18 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
>> At the time
>> it was annoyingly slow doing some simple things,

> Could you elaborate? My Ubuntu-using SO awaits the arrival of actual
> Atom machines in stores to pick one (most likely a 10" model like the
> MSI Wind), and I've been looking into possible OSes.

Changing to some 'tabs' or 'sections' or whatever they called them
took a five count... I mean it wasn't just kind of slow sometimes, it
was making me wonder if my mouse button was broken :-)

It was obviously a bug or some misconfiguration somewhere I figured
they'd iron out (I believe I saw other commentary at the time saying
the same things) Fire it up on your regular desktop as a different
user and see if you spot what I mean. I've seen aptitude do updates
to those debs since, it's quite possible they fixed it since I tried
it.

I did my testing in a VM at work - and I'm on vacation this week but I
could try it again for you when I'm back if you'd like - just shoot me
a note offlist.

Brian

Mario Vukelic 08-11-2008 07:25 PM

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 15:09 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:
> Fire it up on your regular desktop as a different
> user and see if you spot what I mean. I've seen aptitude do updates
> to those debs since, it's quite possible they fixed it since I tried
> it.

Thanks for the info. No need to try it out again, I'll install it on the
laptop.