Old 08-05-2008, 06:11 PM
Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares

Default Network installs

Hi Everyone,

I installed RHEL 5.1 in a power 5 p570 machine using a network install
(ncurses view) and I have an issue. After anaconda formats the
partition, it shows a screen with a dialog "starting installation" and
it says it will take some time. It took 1 hour and a half to start
running the progress bar and copying files. So I wanted to ask two
questions:

1) Is it supposed to take that long? I was doing a network install on a
server with an effective (steady) connection of about 3 Mbps. If it is,
what is it doing in this time (before it actually shows the progress bar
and the files being installed/copied)?

2) Wouldn't it be interesting to show some kind of activity response
(progress bar or files being copied) so the user won't just think the
installation froze? I resetted the machine about 4 times before someone
told me it's supposed to take that long.

The first question might be complicated to solve, but the second one
seems simple enough and I'm interested in "fixing" it.

So if someone wants to comment, suggest or help me on where to start, I
would be really grateful =)

Arthur V.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Joel Andres Granados

Hi Arthur

How much ram does this machine have? Was there a swap image in the installation? either created or already existing?
How many packages were installed? I have found that doing big installations (lots of packages) with little memory or no swap or both takes very long.

Regards

Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares wrote:

[...]

Red Hat / Brno, Czech Republic

Old 08-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Alexander Todorov

Old 08-06-2008, 12:33 PM

On Wed, 2008-08-06 at 09:36 +0200, Joel Andres Granados wrote:
> Hi Arthur
>
> How much ram does this machine have? Was there a swap image in the installation? either created or already existing?
> How many packages were installed? I have found that doing big installations (lots of packages) with little memory or no swap or both takes very long.
>
> Regards

Hi Joel, the machine has 2 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap created by
anaconda.
Apparently this really is usual, since some friends told me it usually
takes that long. Apparently it is yum that is taking this long and I
think it will be hard to make it more efficient. But I think we could
show a progress bar in this part (packages processed / packages to be
processed) to show the system is still running.

Alexander's e-mail:
> It might be possible to take that long. At this stage yum is resolving
> dependencies (i think) or running rpm transaction before actual package
> installation starts. I've seen similar behavior on ia64 in the past. IIRC there
> was something about yum and memory which was causing it to run slowly. Try RHEL
> 5.2 or another architecture (32bit if possible) with the same package set and
> partitioning to see if there's change in the speed. Also try Fedora 9 which has
> newer version of yum.
>
> - --
> Alexander.
>
> Hi Alexander,

I used the "software development" default set of packages. After I sent
this e-mail I used VNC on the power machine to have a working console to
check logs. anaconda.log kept reporting lines like these:

14:27:38 DEBUG : Adding Package sound-juicer - 2.16.0-3.el5.ppc in
mode u
14:27:38 DEBUG : Member: sqlite.ppc 0-3.3.6-2 - u
14:27:42 DEBUG : Adding Package sqlite - 3.3.6-2.ppc in mode u
14:27:42 DEBUG : Member: audit-libs.ppc64 0-1.6.5-9.el5 - u

For a bunch of packages, so it is in fact yum that is taking this long.
For each Adding Package and Member, it took about 1-2 seconds, which is
very long for a lot of packages. I believe there is already people
working on this performance issue on the yum side, but I think that on
the anaconda side, as I mentioned above, we could make it clear to the
user that although it takes long, it eventually finishes =)

I don't have access to a RHEL 5.2, but I'll see if I can get one to see
if anything has changed.
About the 32 bit and Fedora, I'm working on a specifically on power pcs
now, but if I develop a solution for it, I'll check if it is necessary
on X 32 and 64 machines as well..

Thanks to both of you for quick replies =)

Old 08-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Joel Andres Granados

Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares wrote:

How much ram does this machine have? Was there a swap image in the installation? either created or already existing?
How many packages were installed? I have found that doing big installations (lots of packages) with little memory or no swap or both takes very long.

Regards

Hi Joel, the machine has 2 GB of RAM and 2 GB of swap created by

Wow, thats a good machine. This should not be happening at all. My regular tests are with machines that have 512 of ram and swap of 1G. Additionally they are all virtual machines. Of course all my tests are done with a minimal install. How many packages are you installing? It would be nice to know the number after the dependency thing has been done. You could list some 400, but the real package number is somewhat different.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:37 PM
Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares

Hello again,

First I would like to include new information to this topic. Yesterday I
installed using a local NFS server and the process that before took
nearly 2 hours, now took 30 seconds! So it is now obvious that the
problem we have is bandwidth. Nevertheless I still think this issue
should be fixed, we should not depend that the user is installing from a
fast local network.

I have been trying to understand anaconda source code but it has been
pretty complicated to follow the logical workflow, so please bear with
me if I have understood something wrong.

Apparently the place I have to work in to get the window "Install
Starting" (issue mentioned in my previous e-mails) to display a progress
bar is in the class DownloadHeaderProgress (I found the string of the
window in it). Looking at the class below it on the code, I found the
screen that comes before this one, the dependency check window. And now
comes my question, the depency check (class YumDepSolveProgress) calls:

window = intf.progressWindow(_("Dependency Check"),
_("Checking dependencies in
packages selected for installation..."),
1.0, 0.01)

And DownloadHeaderProgress calls:

window = intf.progressWindow(_("Install Starting"),
_("Starting install process. This
may take several minutes..."),
1.0, 0.01)

I went over to gui.py and text.py and looked at the progressWindow
method (that starts a ProgressWindow object), and apparently this class
was supposed to be a progress window (wow, I know ). Looking at the
similarities between YumDepSolveProgress and DownloadHeaderProgress, I
would expect that both of them would have progress bars (or so it was
what the developer MEANT to do). But in the end, just the dependency
check has a progress bar, the "Install Starting" window does not.

Is it supposed to be like this? Did I understood something wrong? I'm
still trying to understand the class ProgressWindow, if I'm right,
that's where I'll find the problem, but it has some classes that I don't
where it comes from (like TextboxReflowed and GridForm).

Thank you all,

Old 08-07-2008, 05:05 PM
Arthur Rodrigo Sawazachi Valadares

Okay, so thanks everyone who helped, but apparently I was been noobish.

After Joel gave me the light that I was mixing different versions of
anaconda (for some reason in my head I thought since I was using the
lates dist of RHEL I have, it would be the same anaconda) I looked at
the yuminstall.py of RHEL5u2 in stage2.img and I was surprised to see
that the class that I'm complaining (DownloadHeaderProgress) does not
exist in RHEL5u2 version of anaconda, so apparently someone implemented
it already, it just hasn't been released as a new version of RHEL yet
(or it has and I don't have access to it).

I still want to know how to test a new version of anaconda with an old
dist of RHEL to test if it has been actually fixed, but apparently this
issue is past.

Sorry for not seeing this before, I'm a little new to open source
developing =(

Many thanks for all the help anyways

Old 08-07-2008, 07:27 PM
David Cantrell

[...]

I've had an open bug for a while to add a progress bar for HTTP or FTP
stage2.img fetching. The static message just leads people to think
the system has stalled if they have a very slow link.

It is not something I have forgotten about, but it's getting low
priority. In the interim, I may add some text to indicate that the
operation will take some time and is entirely dependent on your link
speed.

Bug number is 112259. Feel free to add yourself to the CC list.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell@redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI