-   -   Configuration (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/137966-configuration.html)

"Verde Denim" 08-05-2008 05:05 PM

Configuration

I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that crashed (HDD) recently. I was able to autopsy the IDE drive running Ubuntu 7.10 and get back the files I wanted (configs mostly).
I purchased a SATA card and two SATA drives for the box and want to reload with Ubu 8.

The problem is that, with the removal of the IDE drive, and installation of the SATA hardware, it seems I get nothing but the DELL splash screen. I've checked with DELL, but got no usable information from them. Does anyone know if there is something on the mobo I need to change in order to at least get the Ubu CD to run?

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

Jack

"Phil Bieber" 08-06-2008 08:09 AM

Configuration

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 19:05, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that crashed (HDD) recently. I was able to
> autopsy the IDE drive running Ubuntu 7.10 and get back the files I wanted
> (configs mostly).
> I purchased a SATA card and two SATA drives for the box and want to reload
> with Ubu 8.
> The problem is that, with the removal of the IDE drive, and installation of
> the SATA hardware, it seems I get nothing but the DELL splash screen. I've
> checked with DELL, but got no usable information from them. Does anyone know
> if there is something on the mobo I need to change in order to at least get
> the Ubu CD to run?
>
> Thanks for any assistance you can provide
>
> Jack

Hi!
I can think of 2 reasons,
1) the card / drives have to be included in the BIOS.
2) there are no suitable drivers for the SATA card.
Try the BIOS and if that doesn't help, google the card's name/model +
ubuntu hardy and see what you can find. Also, post the name/model to
the list, maybe somebody has something else to tell you about it.

Cheers
Phil Bieber
--
Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

GPG KEY ID (Philipp Bieber): 0x0185E301
FINGERPRINT: CA81 28C2 E63F DAF8 5ED4 DACB 7C26 EE5B 0185 E301
Phil Bieber - philbieber@gmail.com

"Verde Denim" 08-06-2008 03:37 PM

Configuration

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 19:05, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that crashed (HDD) recently. I was able to

> autopsy the IDE drive running Ubuntu 7.10 and get back the files I wanted

> (configs mostly).

> I purchased a SATA card and two SATA drives for the box and want to reload

> with Ubu 8.

> The problem is that, with the removal of the IDE drive, and installation of

> the SATA hardware, it seems I get nothing but the DELL splash screen. I've

> checked with DELL, but got no usable information from them. Does anyone know

> if there is something on the mobo I need to change in order to at least get

> the Ubu CD to run?

> Thanks for any assistance you can provide

> Jack

Hi!

I can think of 2 reasons,

1) the card / drives have to be included in the BIOS.

2) there are no suitable drivers for the SATA card.

Try the BIOS and if that doesn't help, google the card's name/model +

ubuntu hardy and see what you can find. Also, post the name/model to

the list, maybe somebody has something else to tell you about it.*

Phil~
Thanks for the reply. It turns out I was able to find a single entry on the web for this - but it's good news - "(PCI-SA-112E in specific, which has the Sil 3512 chipset) & it
seems as though OS doesnt like booting from a drive on this card after
it progresses from grub (Even though it works like a champ on Ubuntu
8.04)"* - and the card was cheap (under $20).

I pulled the card and the IDE cable from the mobo and it will boot the Ubu CD. I'm not sure if I could install the drivers in the LiveCD env or not (might be worth a try), but short of that, this box will probably need an IDE drive to install 8.04 and the drivers. A bit of a catch-22, but I dug up an old IDE drive that I'm checking now to update the badblock table. If it's runnable I'll try loading 8.04 there, install the drivers and then installing Ubuntu onto one of the SATA drives and see if a reboot without the IDE works (I'll also upgrade the BIOS to the latest version to see if that helps)

Jack

NoOp 08-06-2008 06:25 PM

Configuration

On 08/06/2008 08:37 AM, Verde Denim wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 4:09 AM, Phil Bieber <philbieber@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 19:05, Verde Denim <tdldev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > I have a Dell Dimension 4500 that crashed (HDD) recently. I was able to
>> > autopsy the IDE drive running Ubuntu 7.10 and get back the files I wanted
>> > (configs mostly).
>> > I purchased a SATA card and two SATA drives for the box and want to
>> reload
>> > with Ubu 8.
>> > The problem is that, with the removal of the IDE drive, and installation
>> of
>> > the SATA hardware, it seems I get nothing but the DELL splash screen.
>> I've
>> > checked with DELL, but got no usable information from them. Does anyone
>> know
>> > if there is something on the mobo I need to change in order to at least
>> get
>> > the Ubu CD to run?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any assistance you can provide
>> >
>> > Jack
>>
>> Hi!
>> I can think of 2 reasons,
>> 1) the card / drives have to be included in the BIOS.
>> 2) there are no suitable drivers for the SATA card.
>> Try the BIOS and if that doesn't help, google the card's name/model +
>> ubuntu hardy and see what you can find. Also, post the name/model to
>> the list, maybe somebody has something else to tell you about it.
>>

> Phil~
> Thanks for the reply. It turns out I was able to find a single entry on the
> web for this - but it's good news - "(PCI-SA-112E in specific, which has the
> Sil 3512 chipset) & it seems as though OS doesnt like booting from a drive
> on this card after it progresses from grub (Even though it works like a
> champ on Ubuntu 8.04)" - and the card was cheap (under $20).
>
> I pulled the card and the IDE cable from the mobo and it will boot the Ubu
> CD. I'm not sure if I could install the drivers in the LiveCD env or not
> (might be worth a try), but short of that, this box will probably need an
> IDE drive to install 8.04 and the drivers. A bit of a catch-22, but I dug up
> an old IDE drive that I'm checking now to update the badblock table. If it's
> runnable I'll try loading 8.04 there, install the drivers and then
> installing Ubuntu onto one of the SATA drives and see if a reboot without
> the IDE works (I'll also upgrade the BIOS to the latest version to see if
> that helps)
>
> Jack

I wonder if this might help:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gvfs/+bug/203195
<quote>
Solution:
After activating AHCI in the bios setting and booting from CD/DVD one
need to press F6 to enter further boot parameter: pci=nomsi
Now the hdd and other sata devices are recognized correctly due the
installation. Don't know if its really a bug..
</quote>

Another:
<quote>
btherio wrote on 2008-07-06: (permalink)
I'm having this exact problem on an asus a8v-mx.
I read here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/3/18/103
I changed sata to ahci in the bios, added only the line pci=nomsi to the
kernel boot line, and it seems to be working.
</quote>