Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Doug Pollard

Default Kino problem

Ok was able to run Kino and capture video with the comand gksudo kino.
Does this mean I as a user do not have permissions and if so how to I
give myself as a user permission.
Doug

Old 08-05-2008, 04:12 PM
Ulf Rompe

On Di, 2008-08-05 at 11:56 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Ok was able to run Kino and capture video with the comand gksudo
> kino.
> Does this mean I as a user do not have permissions

Yep.

> and if so how to I give myself as a user permission.

You may just add yourself to the "disk" group:

sudo adduser $USER disk

(As a side effect, this enables you to directly access every disk in
your system. So it would be more elegant to change the permissions
of /dev/*1394, but I think you have to create a rule in /etc/udev to
change them permanently. Maybe someone here is more up-to-date with this
stuff.)

[x] ulf

--
Besuche machen immer Freude. Wenn nicht beim Kommen, dann beim Gehen.
(Spanisches Sprichwort)

Old 08-06-2008, 12:28 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/05/2008 11:12 AM, Ulf Rompe wrote:
> On Di, 2008-08-05 at 11:56 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
>> Ok was able to run Kino and capture video with the comand gksudo
>> kino.
>> Does this mean I as a user do not have permissions
>
> Yep.
>
>> and if so how to I give myself as a user permission.
>
> You may just add yourself to the "disk" group:
>
> sudo adduser $USER disk
>
> (As a side effect, this enables you to directly access every disk in
> your system. So it would be more elegant to change the permissions
> of /dev/*1394, but I think you have to create a rule in /etc/udev to
> change them permanently. Maybe someone here is more up-to-date with this
> stuff.)
>
> [x] ulf

I don't know about adduser. I would do this instead to add myself to the
"disk" group:

sudo gpasswd -a mumia disk

See "man gpasswd"

However, access to the disks is possibly too risky for a newbie. Doug,
you can change the permissions on /dev/raw1394 by modifying the script
/etc/init.d/rc.local . I might put this in there:

chgrp video /dev/raw1394

Since you're already in the "video" group, you should not have any
problems capturing video.

HTH

Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 AM
Ulf Rompe

On Di, 2008-08-05 at 19:28 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
> > sudo adduser $USER disk
> >
> > (As a side effect, this enables you to directly access every disk in
> > your system. So it would be more elegant to change the permissions
> > of /dev/*1394, but I think you have to create a rule in /etc/udev to
> > change them permanently. Maybe someone here is more up-to-date with
> > this stuff.)

> I don't know about adduser. I would do this instead to add myself to
> the "disk" group:
>
> sudo gpasswd -a mumia disk

That does exactly the same as the above adduser command.

> However, access to the disks is possibly too risky for a newbie. Doug,
> you can change the permissions on /dev/raw1394 by modifying the
> script /etc/init.d/rc.local . I might put this in there:
>
> chgrp video /dev/raw1394

And then wonder why the permissions are reset the next time he installs
an update for udev. :-) I just read
through /etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules and found this:

# IEEE1394 (firewire) devices
# Please note that raw1394 gives unrestricted, raw access to every single
# device on the bus and those devices may do anything as root on your system.
# Yes, I know it also happens to be the only way to rewind your video camera,
# but it's not going to be group "video", okay?
KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="disk"
KERNEL=="dv1394*", GROUP="video"
KERNEL=="video1394*", GROUP="video"

Sounds like you would just have to change this single line if you are
sure that you don't have any firewire disks.

[x] ulf

--
Save the whales - Feed the hungry - Free the mallocs

Old 08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Doug Pollard

Ulf Rompe wrote:
> On Di, 2008-08-05 at 19:28 -0500, Mumia W. wrote:
>

> [x] ulf

Well now, I think may have screwed up! In a rush to get my video on
ubuntu from my camcorder . I used GKsudo Kino in order to get Kino
to capture. That put the file in a Root folder ( guess because of using
sudo ) and it seemed the thing to do was to pick up the files and drop
them in my user home folder.
I guess this was a mistake. Of course I would like to just erase the
files as a solution from user folder but have no idea that would solve
the problem.
Ubuntu now complains on start up: Users$home/ dinrc file is being
ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being
saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permisiones.
User$home:directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
There is another thing that may or may not be related I am now also
getting on start up a bug report: Deskbar application crash collected.
I have sent it in a couple of times but get the same message on start
up. Are theses seperate problems??

Thanks Doug

Old 08-07-2008, 05:10 PM
"Mumia W."

On 08/07/2008 08:45 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Well now, I think may have screwed up! In a rush to get my video on
> ubuntu from my camcorder . I used GKsudo Kino in order to get Kino
> to capture. That put the file in a Root folder ( guess because of using
> sudo ) and it seemed the thing to do was to pick up the files and drop
> them in my user home folder.
> I guess this was a mistake. Of course I would like to just erase the
> files as a solution from user folder but have no idea that would solve
> the problem.
> Ubuntu now complains on start up: Users$home/ dinrc file is being
> ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being
> saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permisiones.
> User$home:directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
> There is another thing that may or may not be related I am now also
> getting on start up a bug report: Deskbar application crash collected.
> I have sent it in a couple of times but get the same message on start
> up. Are theses seperate problems??
>
> Thanks Doug

I don't have a "dinrc" on my system. Use "chown <user> <filename>" to
change the ownership of a file. Read "man chown"

Use this command to get a list of files in your home directory that are
not owned by you:

find ~ ! -uid `id -u`

Incorrectly-owned files may affect almost any application--including the
deskbar.

Old 08-07-2008, 05:28 PM
Doug Pollard

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/07/2008 08:45 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> Well now, I think may have screwed up! In a rush to get my video on
>> ubuntu from my camcorder . I used GKsudo Kino in order to get Kino
>> to capture. That put the file in a Root folder ( guess because of using
>> sudo ) and it seemed the thing to do was to pick up the files and drop
>> them in my user home folder.
>> I guess this was a mistake. Of course I would like to just erase the
>> files as a solution from user folder but have no idea that would solve
>> the problem.
>> Ubuntu now complains on start up: Users$home/ dinrc file is being
>> ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being
>> saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permisiones.
>> User$home:directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
>> There is another thing that may or may not be related I am now also
>> getting on start up a bug report: Deskbar application crash collected.
>> I have sent it in a couple of times but get the same message on start
>> up. Are theses seperate problems??
>>
>> Thanks Doug
>>

> I don't have a "dinrc" on my system. Use "chown <user> <filename>" to
> change the ownership of a file. Read "man chown"
>
> Use this command to get a list of files in your home directory that are
> not owned by you:
>
> find ~ ! -uid `id -u`
>
> Incorrectly-owned files may affect almost any application--including the
> deskbar.

I am sorry that was a typo read thru and didn't catch it. That should
have been "dimrc"
Doug

Old 08-07-2008, 05:49 PM
Doug Pollard

Mumia W. wrote:
> On 08/07/2008 08:45 AM, Doug Pollard wrote:
>
>> Well now, I think may have screwed up! In a rush to get my video on
>> ubuntu from my camcorder . I used GKsudo Kino in order to get Kino
>> to capture. That put the file in a Root folder ( guess because of using
>> sudo ) and it seemed the thing to do was to pick up the files and drop
>> them in my user home folder.
>> I guess this was a mistake. Of course I would like to just erase the
>> files as a solution from user folder but have no idea that would solve
>> the problem.
>> Ubuntu now complains on start up: Users$home/ dinrc file is being
>> ignored. This prevents the default session and language from being
>> saved. File should be owned by user and have 644 permisiones.
>> User$home:directory must be owned by user and not writable by other users.
>> There is another thing that may or may not be related I am now also
>> getting on start up a bug report: Deskbar application crash collected.
>> I have sent it in a couple of times but get the same message on start
>> up. Are theses seperate problems??
>>
>> Thanks Doug
>>

> I don't have a "dinrc" on my system. Use "chown <user> <filename>" to
> change the ownership of a file. Read "man chown"
>
> Use this command to get a list of files in your home directory that are
> not owned by you:
>
> find ~ ! -uid `id -u`
>
> Incorrectly-owned files may affect almost any application--including the
> deskbar.

All right this is the message I get when is put in.
doug@doug-desktop:~$ find
~ ! -uid 'id -u'
find: invalid argument `id -u' to `-uid'
doug@dougdesktop:~$
Doug is not my user id
Doug

Old 08-08-2008, 07:12 AM
"Mumia W."

On 08/07/2008 12:49 PM, Doug Pollard wrote:
> Mumia W. wrote:
>> [...]
>> Use this command to get a list of files in your home directory that are
>> not owned by you:
>>
>> find ~ ! -uid `id -u`
>>
> find: invalid argument `id -u' to `-uid'
> [...]

find ~ ! -uid $(id -u)

Old 08-09-2008, 01:54 AM
"David Fox"

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 10:10 AM, Mumia W.
<paduille.4062.mumia.w+nospam@earthlink.net> wrote:

> find ~ ! -uid `id -u`
>
> Incorrectly-owned files may affect almost any application--including the
> deskbar.

Cool. That's a good one to use. I found several files that were owned
by root in my home directory.