Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM
NoOp

Default Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (desktop)

On 08/05/2008 03:40 AM, (``-_-´´) -- Fernando wrote:
> Olá Mackenzie e a todos.
>
> Redirecting to ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
>
> On Tuesday 05 August 2008 09:42:02 Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 03:16 -0400, Nagin Chand wrote:
>>> Sir,
>>>
>>> I have obtained the DVD of the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS as distributed by
>>> the Linux For You magazine published from India. I was just
>>> trying to install it on an AMD 64-bit 3200+ machine with 512 Mb
>>> ram and Gigabyte sis based motherboard. My experience is as
>>> follows:
>>
>> That's not the official DVD, I don't think.
>>
>>> 3. Even in one of the most ommon software, openoffice, it
>>> installs only a subset of that is available on the DVD. For
>>> example it does not install the base (database part) and the math
>>> part among others. Also, some of the languages are simply not
>>> installed and later on the user has to intervene.
>>
>> All of OpenOffice is installed by default from the official Ubuntu
>> CD and DVD. If something was missing, I'd blame the remix that
>> magazine made. The official disks allow you to choose your
>> language at install time. If you want to have your system be
>> multi-lingual, System -> Administration -> Language Support.
>
> I dont know how it occurs on the DVD version, but the CD doesnt
> install Base or many other packages for OOo. If you dont have network
> while installing (until hardy) several language packages would not be
> installed, and OOo would end up in English even if the all system as
> in another language.
>

>>> How to do the above mentioned tasks in a more interactive and
>>> easy manner, would someone will elaborate? I shall be thankful
>>> for the same.
>>
>> By the way, this isn't a support list. This is for developers to
>> discuss the next version. Next time, please ask on
>> ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

For the CD:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804
<quote>
Installation
OpenOffice.org database, Java, equation editor support

* For reasons of disk space, the database and equation editor
components of OpenOffice.org, as well as Java integration support, are
not included on the installation CDs. To get the full OpenOffice.org
suite after install, you can select "OpenOffice.org Office Suite" from
the Applications -> Add/Remove menu, or install the openoffice.org
metapackage using the package manager.
</quote>

With a network connection, the liveCD installer should fetch and install
the complete OOo package as no OOo packages are on the liveCD:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-desktop-i386.list

On the AlternateCD the OOo packages are included but limited by the CD size:
http://releases.ubuntu.com/8.04.1/ubuntu-8.04.1-alternate-i386.list
But again, if there is a network connection at installation time, the
OOo installer should go out and fetch the missing packages.

However, the complete OpenOffice.org package _is_ included on the DVD:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/hardy/release/ubuntu-8.04.1-dvd-i386.list
So the _DVD_ installer should recognize this and install the complete
OOo package.

Old 08-11-2008, 06:08 PM
"Verde Denim"