Old 08-05-2008, 06:06 AM
Colin Brace

Default time-admin error: "Could not authenticate"

Hi all,

I recently installed 8.04 on a new laptop in a different time zone; now that
I am home, I need to change the TZ, but time-admin won't "unlock"; after
about twenty seconds it displays a dialog box saying: "Could not
authenticate".

It looks like this bug was reported and fixed:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/183804

In the meantime, are there any workarounds? For some reason running
time-admin from gksudo doesn't work either.

TIA

-----
Colin Brace
Amsterdam
http://lim.nl

Old 08-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno lun, 04/08/2008 alle 23.06 -0700, Colin Brace ha scritto:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed 8.04 on a new laptop in a different time zone; now that
> I am home, I need to change the TZ, but time-admin won't "unlock"; after
> about twenty seconds it displays a dialog box saying: "Could not
> authenticate".
>
> It looks like this bug was reported and fixed:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/183804
>
> In the meantime, are there any workarounds? For some reason running
> time-admin from gksudo doesn't work either.
>
> TIA

Hi,
you could edit by hand (using your preferred editor through sudo) the
file /etc/timezone which contains the time zone name.

By the way, the *right* way to edit a system file using sudo is to do,
in a terminal

EDITOR=your preferred editor here
export EDITOR
sudo -e path/to/file

The first two line could be added to your ~/.bashrc

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-05-2008, 03:25 PM
NoOp

On 08/04/2008 11:06 PM, Colin Brace wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently installed 8.04 on a new laptop in a different time zone; now that
> I am home, I need to change the TZ, but time-admin won't "unlock"; after
> about twenty seconds it displays a dialog box saying: "Could not
> authenticate".
>
> It looks like this bug was reported and fixed:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gtk+2.0/+bug/183804

Note that 183804 does not address the unlock issue & instead refers to
183673. And even that bug only touches the surface; there are many
different bugs reported that seem to intertwine on this issue in Hardy.
Example:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu/+bug/55172
[gksu dies on first run]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo/+bug/231565
[[hardy] update-manager freezes after clicking on install updates]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/policykit/+bug/210897
[sudo *something which uses poliykit?* doesn't work]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu/+bug/234402
[update manager doesn't work in Hardy]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu/+bug/187982
[ update-manager fails to bring up the password prompt for root privileges]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu/+bug/91151
[gksu doesn't always pop up a dialog]
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-meta/+bug/194496
[ [users-admin] Unlock -> "Could not authenticate. An unexpected error
has occurred."]

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/sudo
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gksu

> In the meantime, are there any workarounds? For some reason running
> time-admin from gksudo doesn't work either.

The first (and easiest) is to check your /etc/hosts file to make sure
that it is set like this:

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 <machinename>

Or, if you use Samba and have a workgroup share name (workgroup, mshome,
etc) you can use:

127.0.0.1 localhost <machinename>.<workgroupnameifyouhaveone>
127.0.1.1 <machinename>

For some reason if user-admin cannot find the localhost it craps. And,
given that your's takes about 20 sec to come back with the "Could not
authenticate", there's a good chance that it spent those 20 seconds out
trying to find localhost.