Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 AM
thufir

Default neuros OSD PVR?

I like the neuros OSD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuros_osd#Neuros_OSD

http://www.neurostechnology.com/

It looks like a good way to back up VHS, and DVD, onto a hard drive. I
assume that you can just plug the pc into the device with ethernet cable,
since it has a port?

But, how do you go about recording a tv show, use it as a personal video
recorder, using it as a sort of streamer, capturing data on the pc?
There's no coaxial input for the cable box

thanks,

Thufir

Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 AM
Marco Fioretti

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 03:32:48 AM +0000, thufir wrote:
> I like the neuros OSD:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuros_osd#Neuros_OSD
> http://www.neurostechnology.com/
>
> It looks like a good way to back up VHS, and DVD, onto a hard drive.
> I assume that you can just plug the pc into the device with ethernet
> cable, since it has a port?

you have to configure it first,to use the ethernet cable (and I assume
it should be a crossed cable, if you connect to a pc and not to a
hub), using the OSD remote and its own configuration interface through
the TV: the OSD supports both static configuration or DHCP, it's
exactly like configuring networking during a Linux install. Actually
it *IS* just that, because the OSD runs Linux. And can be hacked, too!

> But, how do you go about recording a tv show, use it as a personal
> video recorder, using it as a sort of streamer, capturing data on
> the pc? There's no coaxial input for the cable box

Yes, it is possible to record a TV show directly to a USB drive or PC
drive... but only if it is attached to a TV or VCR.. The OSD is
explicitly designed to connect a TV or VCR to a PC or digital storage
unit. It is NOT meant to connect directly to a TV antenna, that is
what TV tuner cards for PC are for. But the OSD is aimed at different
scenario and use cases, it doesn't want to replace that hardware.

More info is on the ODF forums at neurosproject.org. In a few more
days, the OSD review I wrote for Linux Journal, which contains more
info and tips on these same themes, will also be available to
non-subscribers: http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9999

HTH,
Marco
software is used *around* you: http://digifreedom.net/node/84

Old 08-05-2008, 02:37 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 06:42 +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 03:32:48 AM +0000, thufir wrote:
> > I like the neuros OSD:
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuros_osd#Neuros_OSD
> > http://www.neurostechnology.com/
> >
> > It looks like a good way to back up VHS, and DVD, onto a hard drive.
> > I assume that you can just plug the pc into the device with ethernet
> > cable, since it has a port?
>
> you have to configure it first,to use the ethernet cable (and I assume
> it should be a crossed cable, if you connect to a pc and not to a
> hub), using the OSD remote and its own configuration interface through
> the TV: the OSD supports both static configuration or DHCP, it's
> exactly like configuring networking during a Linux install. Actually
> it *IS* just that, because the OSD runs Linux. And can be hacked, too!

One small point is most modern Ethernet devices do not require crossover
cables. Ethernet devices autodetect when two non-switch devices are
connected and cross over the signaling electronically.
--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
System/Network Architect

Old 08-05-2008, 11:12 PM
thufir

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 06:42:05 +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:

>> But, how do you go about recording a tv show, use it as a personal
>> video recorder, using it as a sort of streamer, capturing data on the
>> pc? There's no coaxial input for the cable box
>
> Yes, it is possible to record a TV show directly to a USB drive or PC
> drive... but only if it is attached to a TV or VCR..

Exactly, how do you connect it to the tv or vcr? Running "RCA" cable
from the VCR to the OSD doesn't allow the OSD to capture TV shows, does
it? Typically, that requires coaxial output from the VCR.

-Thufir

Old 08-07-2008, 07:09 PM
"M. Fioretti"

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 23:12:50 PM +0000, thufir wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 06:42:05 +0200, Marco Fioretti wrote:
>
> >> But, how do you go about recording a tv show, use it as a personal
> >> video recorder, using it as a sort of streamer, capturing data on the
> >> pc? There's no coaxial input for the cable box
> >
> > Yes, it is possible to record a TV show directly to a USB drive or PC
> > drive... but only if it is attached to a TV or VCR..
>

> Exactly, how do you connect it to the tv or vcr?

following the directions in the instruction sheet. The OSD has one
S-video in, one a/v out -in pair of jacks. and several adapter cables
included in the box for this very purpose.

> Running "RCA" cable from the VCR to the OSD doesn't allow the OSD to
> capture TV shows, does it?

Of course yes, if the TV or VCR send the channel you want to record
with the OSD on that port.

> Typically, that requires coaxial output from the VCR.

No, it requires that the VCR or TV "route" that channel from _their_
coaxial input to their port connected via RCA cable with the OSD

Old 08-10-2008, 12:10 AM
thufir

On Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:09:47 +0200, M. Fioretti wrote:

> [...]
[...]
>> Typically, that requires coaxial output from the VCR.
>
> No, it requires that the VCR or TV "route" that channel from _their_
> coaxial input to their port connected via RCA cable with the OSD

Ah, I didn't realize you could get the VCR to route output to RCA (so
that in can feed into the nueros OSD, for example).

thanks,

Thufir