Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 AM
Jake

Default HELP WINDOWS XP

Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall, because the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help me..

Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake

Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start here.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Ed Greshko

Jake wrote:
> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall, because
> the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help me..

You really don't have to uninstall... You can simply *overwrite*.

Just install XP and have it destroy all the formatting. Then leave the
space you want to use for Ubuntu free. XP will, as is designed, destroy the
MBR and you'll be on your way.

Don't over complicate things.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:11 AM
Leonard Chatagnier

--- Jake <ispaz@live.com> wrote:

> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have
> to press ESC", "Is there", well no, its not, can
> anyone just PLEASE tell me how to UNINSTALL Ubuntu,
> so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have
> to uninstall, because the fact of the matter is, I
> really need do, so Please help me..
>
> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake

Hi Jake,

Not sure what you mean by uninstall Ubuntu but you can
do:

"sudo rm -rf /" which will delete the root / drive and
all its subdirectories. ie, everything in the
partition.

"format" the partition that contains ubuntu.

I'm not sure that will make the windows partition
bootable. You will probably have to remake the MBR,
master boot record, I think that's what its called.
I've been following you post and don't recall if
someone has said how to do this but it should have.
Sorry, don't recall how to do it myself even though
have done it a time or two. You can either google for
it(key words-reinstalling MBR-should get it) or wait
for someone to tell you how. Personally, I'd google
first and then post back on how to do it if I found
nothing telling me how to do it.
BTW, if you haven't yet tried to reinstall the MBR, I
would definitely find out how and reestablish the MBR
before removing Ubuntu which may prevent having to
reinstall Ubuntu. I guess you are sure you still have
windows on some partition. Sorry if this is old
repeat stuff; there has been a lot of traffic on the
list and a lot of it now very helpful.

HTH,

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570@sbcglobal.net

Old 08-05-2008, 03:14 AM
Linda Hanigan

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:41 -0400, Jake wrote:
> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall,
> because the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help
> me..
>
> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake

> Get Windows Live and get whatever you need, wherever you are. Start
> here.

It has been awhile but I thought I just reinstalled Win XP from the CD
so I could fix it to dual boot properly, I never really unistalled
Linux. Don't remember if Windows reformated it's partition since it was
a new machine so it didn't matter to me. The only way I know to unistall
an operating system is to reformat the drive.
Linda

Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 AM
Leonard Smith

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:41 -0400, Jake wrote:
> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall,
> because the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help
> me..
>
> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake

I'm assuming Ubuntu is booting fine. If so, you will need to do some
checking in order to verify that you still have WinXP on your system.

1. Go ahead and post your menu.lst file. You may have a line commented
out that is preventing the Windows XP option from showing.

2. Open a terminal and type 'fdisk -l'. Copy the output and post it.
This will list your existing partition information. You can also use
'gparted' to view it in a gui, but it may not be installed on your
system. (to install type 'sudo apt-get install gparted' in a terminal).

Leonard

Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 AM
James Takac

Hi Jake

On Tuesday 05 August 2008 12:41:27 Jake wrote:
> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to UNINSTALL
> Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to dual boot,
> Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall, because the fact of
> the matter is, I really need do, so Please help me..
>
> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake

Are you sure you haven't inadvertently wiped Windows when you installed
Ubuntu? If you chose to use the entire disk during your install then Windows
is gone. If you resized as the option then both should be there and you
should in Ubuntu be able to view the windows partion. If you can't that may
be a sign that you wiped it as the install process generally will pick up
Windows if it's there and offer it as a boot option. Quick way to check to
see if your windows partition is visible is to click on places then choose
computer. As I have vista on the other laptop I see RECOVERY and VistaOS
listed besides my dvd drive and the filesystem. If you only have the
filesystem and optical drive (or usb if plugged in) then I suspect you have
wiped windows

James

Old 08-05-2008, 03:24 AM
Ed Greshko

Leonard Smith wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:41 -0400, Jake wrote:
>> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
>> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
>> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
>> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall,
>> because the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help
>> me..
>>
>> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake
>>

> I'm assuming Ubuntu is booting fine. If so, you will need to do some
> checking in order to verify that you still have WinXP on your system.
>
> 1. Go ahead and post your menu.lst file. You may have a line commented
> out that is preventing the Windows XP option from showing.
>
> 2. Open a terminal and type 'fdisk -l'. Copy the output and post it.
> This will list your existing partition information. You can also use
> 'gparted' to view it in a gui, but it may not be installed on your
> system. (to install type 'sudo apt-get install gparted' in a terminal).

I don't get it....

The guy asks a simple question..."How do I unscrew a light bulb and screw in
a new one?" and folks are giving out instructions to build a light bulb factory.

It is a simple question with a simple answer. Not everything is rocket science.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:37 AM
"Kim Briggs"

On 8/4/08, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> Leonard Smith wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:41 -0400, Jake wrote:
> >> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
> >> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
> >> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
[snip]
> a new one?" and folks are giving out instructions to build a light bulb factory.
>
> It is a simple question with a simple answer. Not everything is rocket science.

Hi EG,

The point people are making is that the question shows some ignorance
about what is happening on a computer. Using an operating system, you
install and uninstall various programs. You can't use an operating
system, from the same drive, to uninstall itself. People are trying
to figure out what the person is talking about because, as it is
written, it doesn't make much sense.

cheers,
--
http://kimbriggs.com

Old 08-05-2008, 03:46 AM
Ed Greshko

Kim Briggs wrote:
> On 8/4/08, Ed Greshko <Ed.Greshko@greshko.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> a new one?" and folks are giving out instructions to build a light bulb factory.
>>
>> It is a simple question with a simple answer. Not everything is rocket science.
>>
> Hi EG,
>
> The point people are making is that the question shows some ignorance
> about what is happening on a computer. Using an operating system, you
> install and uninstall various programs. You can't use an operating
> system, from the same drive, to uninstall itself. People are trying
> to figure out what the person is talking about because, as it is
> written, it doesn't make much sense.

His question made perfect sense to me...

He said...

1. Don't tell me a complicated list of things to do. He said he doesn't
want to hear "you have to press ESC"..."run fsck"..."do this, that, and the
other".

2. He asked "PLEASE tell me how to UNINSTALL Ubuntu".

3. He obviously wants to wipe out, get rid of, start all over again with XP
as his only OS and then add Ubuntu. He *said* that. All people have to do
is take the time to *read* what he said and *not* add their own bias or
interpretation.

Now, most of us know you don't uninstall an OS as there is no such command
to do that. Soooo.... What do we do when we want to start over with a
clean slate?

*That is what he needs to be told*.

The OP made perfect sense....most people just don't know how to read. :-)

Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 AM
Rashkae

Ed Greshko wrote:
> Leonard Smith wrote:
>> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 22:41 -0400, Jake wrote:
>>> Ok, I've been through this so many times, "you have to press ESC", "Is
>>> there", well no, its not, can anyone just PLEASE tell me how to
>>> UNINSTALL Ubuntu, so I can get on Windows XP and re-install Ubuntu to
>>> dual boot, Please do not tell me that I don't have to uninstall,
>>> because the fact of the matter is, I really need do, so Please help
>>> me..
>>>
>>> Help Greatly Appreciated, Jake
>>>
>> I'm assuming Ubuntu is booting fine. If so, you will need to do some
>> checking in order to verify that you still have WinXP on your system.
>>
>> 1. Go ahead and post your menu.lst file. You may have a line commented
>> out that is preventing the Windows XP option from showing.
>>
>> 2. Open a terminal and type 'fdisk -l'. Copy the output and post it.
>> This will list your existing partition information. You can also use
>> 'gparted' to view it in a gui, but it may not be installed on your
>> system. (to install type 'sudo apt-get install gparted' in a terminal).
>
> I don't get it....

Your right, you don't get it.

There is no magic "Undo the Operating System Installation" Button that
will magically return his pc to how it was.

someone already suggested rm -rf, which would do exactly what the OP
asked, and would leave the OP with a computer that won't boot at all.
Not exactly helpful now is it?

If the problem is you can't boot into an OS, 'uninstalling' the OS that
is currently working isn't very wise.

And as for Installing XP, how? If the computer is a name brand, he
won't even have an XP install CD, just a recovery CD, which will wipe
out any data. Again, probably not terribly helpful.