Old 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
jeff

Default Help with new installation

My daughter has a 1.4 GHz pentium 4 compaq with 1Gig ram that I
installed ubunu
The reason I installed Ubuntu is becauase the computer was freezing in
windows. The processor runs at 100%
It runs better but it still freezes and runs at 100%

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 AM
NoOp

On 08/03/2008 03:53 PM, jeff wrote:
> My daughter has a 1.4 GHz pentium 4 compaq with 1Gig ram that I
> installed ubunu
> The reason I installed Ubuntu is becauase the computer was freezing in
> windows. The processor runs at 100%
> It runs better but it still freezes and runs at 100%

My guess would be the Tracker search tool indexing all of your files.
Normallly this doesn't take too long, but until it settles down it can
easily cause 100% cpu usage. You can adjust this by using:
System|Preferences|Search and Indexing and unclick "Enable indexing" and
"Enable watching" etc. Or you can simply uninstall Tracker if you wish,
but try setting the 'Search and Indexing' preferences first.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:53 PM, jeff <jeff.r.hartzell@gmail.com> wrote:
> My daughter has a 1.4 GHz pentium 4 compaq with 1Gig ram that I
> installed ubunu
> The reason I installed Ubuntu is becauase the computer was freezing in
> windows. The processor runs at 100%
> It runs better but it still freezes and runs at 100%

If it's still freezing in linux, I'd
1 - open the case and remove the dustbunnies **
2 - reboot and run the memory tester at least 4+ hours to check for errors

Brian

** there are always dustbunnies. Clean it today they'll be back
tomorrow. But sometimes they are so bad things are overheating.