Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 PM
"Donny George"

Default making a duplicate of an existing ubuntu machine+please help

hello all

i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream

please help

donny

Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
nstone

Donny George wrote:
> hello all
>
> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would
> like to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.
>
> is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream
>
> please help
>
> donny

Anything is possible.. how you go about it depends really on what
exactly you intend to do.. is this for backup or replica workstation
deployment for example ?

Old 08-04-2008, 05:00 PM
"Joeri De Backer"

i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream

please help

donny

*
If it's a copy on the same hardware, an hd-image could do the job.
If you have other hardware, it will be more difficult I think...
*
Regards,
*
Joeri

Old 08-04-2008, 05:09 PM
"Donny George"

*
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:00 AM, nstone <nstone@ispcp.freewayprojects.com> wrote:

Donny George wrote:

> hello all

> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would

> like to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

> is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream

> please help

> donny

Anything is possible.. how you go about it depends really on what

exactly you intend to do.. is this for backup or replica workstation

deployment for example ?

hello

i need to make a replica workstation, which means i would want to make
an exact replica of machine 1(which is working perfectly fine). and i
want to use this replica as the machine 2(machine 2 is the intended
replica of machine 1)

don

Old 08-05-2008, 07:19 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all
>
> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like
> to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.
>
> is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream
>
> please help
>
> donny

Get "g4l" . It is the best disk or partition copier I've used.
Absolutely great.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 08-05-2008, 07:58 PM
"Donny George"

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello all

> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like

> to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

> is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream

> please help

> donny

Get "g4l" . It is the best disk or partition copier I've used.

Absolutely great.

pj

--

Paul E. Johnson

Professor, Political Science

1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504

University of Kansas

hey paul

thankyou for the suggestion i am reading abt it on the web

have a nice day

donny

Old 08-05-2008, 08:04 PM
"Mark Haney"

Donny George wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> hello all
>>>
>>> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would
>> like
>>> to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.
>>>
>>> is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream
>>>
>>> please help
>>>
>>> donny
>>>

>> Get "g4l" . It is the best disk or partition copier I've used.
>> Absolutely great.
>>
>> pj
>>

>> --
>> Paul E. Johnson
>> Professor, Political Science
>> 1541 Lilac Lane, Room 504
>> University of Kansas
>>
>> --
>>

> hey paul
>
> thankyou for the suggestion i am reading abt it on the web
>
> have a nice day
>
> donny

Personally, I go for 'dd'. Nothing beats it. Might be slower, but it's
never failed me.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all
>
> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like
> to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

mondoarchive is pretty cool. I have had some issues with it on
Ubuntu, but it's perfect on other systems I manage. I *think* the
latest version works ok as long as you don't have too many weird
things in your partition table. I'm actually going to do more work
on that this week so let me know if you decide to try it and have
issues.

Brian

Old 08-05-2008, 09:33 PM
"Donny George"

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Brian McKee <brian.mckee@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 12:51 PM, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:

> hello all

> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like

> to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

mondoarchive is pretty cool. *I have had some issues with it on

Ubuntu, but it's perfect on other systems I manage. *I *think* the

latest version works ok as long as you don't have too many weird

things in your partition table. * I'm actually going to do more work

on that this week so let me know if you decide to try it and have

issues.

Brian

hey brain
i might not do the copying right nwo but only at a later point of time

donny

Old 08-06-2008, 05:35 AM
Gilles Gravier

Title: Signature Home Chastity

clonezilla : http://www.clonezilla.org/

Works like a charm. Will even resize disks for you on the way if needed.

Oh... and it's free!

Gilles.

Mark Haney wrote:

Donny George wrote:

[...]

Gilles Gravier = Gilles@Gravier.org

ICQ : 77488526* || MSN Messenger : Gilles@Gravier.org

Skype :*ggravier || Y! : ggravier || AOL : gillesgravier

PGP Key ID : 0x8DE6D026

"Chastity
is its own punishment." (Solomon Short)
[David Gerrold]

"De toutes les
aberrations sexuelles, la chasteté est la plus aberrante." [Anatole France]