Old 08-06-2008, 02:45 PM
Lorenzo Taylor

Default making a duplicate of an existing ubuntu machine+please help

What is the best way to make a restore disk similar to the disc that
comes with prebuilt computers that will restore a working Ubuntu with
extra packages? I have built a computer and want to provide a restore
disk for a home user. Although reinstalling is rarely if ever necessary,
I want a home user to feel more comfortable with his/her new Ubuntu
machine by creating a restore disk just in case something goes wrong,
since I may not always be able to fix things and I don't even know who
will be receiving this computer yet.

Thanks for any help,
Lorenzo

Old 08-06-2008, 02:58 PM
Sven

On 8/4/08, Donny George <donny008@gmail.com> wrote:
> hello all

Hi Donny

> i have a running ubuntu 8.04 with many installed applications. i would like
> to create an exact replica of this working ubuntu.

Boot a live-cd and use the classical utilities like dump/restore (or
dd or tar).

> is this idea idea feasbile or wud it be an impossible dream

For other solutions search for "Clone" + "Linux" +"Disk"

> please help
> donny

regards
Sven

Old 08-06-2008, 07:07 PM
NoOp

On 08/06/2008 07:45 AM, Lorenzo Taylor wrote:
> What is the best way to make a restore disk similar to the disc that
> comes with prebuilt computers that will restore a working Ubuntu with
> extra packages? I have built a computer and want to provide a restore
> disk for a home user. Although reinstalling is rarely if ever necessary,
> I want a home user to feel more comfortable with his/her new Ubuntu
> machine by creating a restore disk just in case something goes wrong,
> since I may not always be able to fix things and I don't even know who
> will be receiving this computer yet.
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Lorenzo

I've not tried it (yet), but you might have a look at Mondo Rescue:
http://www.mondorescue.org/
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MondoMindi

Old 08-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Pastor JW

On Wednesday 06 August 2008 07:45:13 am Lorenzo Taylor wrote:
> What is the best way to make a restore disk similar to the disc that
> comes with prebuilt computers that will restore a working Ubuntu with
> extra packages? I have built a computer and want to provide a restore
> disk for a home user. Although reinstalling is rarely if ever necessary,
> I want a home user to feel more comfortable with his/her new Ubuntu
> machine by creating a restore disk just in case something goes wrong,
> since I may not always be able to fix things and I don't even know who
> will be receiving this computer yet.

It sounds like remastersys is tailor made for your problem!

http://www.remastersys.klikit-linux.com

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n>< * PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org