Old 08-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Doug Pollard

Default Kino poblem

I installed Kino using synaptic, and with it I Installed raw 1394
and dvgrab. When I start Kino and click capture with my Sony camcorder
connected through 1394 cable. I recieve the message Warning: raw1394
kernal not loaded or failure to read/write/dev/raw1394
Kino apparently cannot see my camcorder.

Any help will be appreciated. Doug

Old 08-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Doug Pollard wrote:

> I installed Kino using synaptic, and with it I Installed raw 1394
> and dvgrab. When I start Kino and click capture with my Sony camcorder
> connected through 1394 cable. I recieve the message Warning: raw1394
> kernal not loaded or failure to read/write/dev/raw1394
> Kino apparently cannot see my camcorder.

What does
ls -l /dev/raw1394
show?

If the above command complains about "No such file or directory", try
sudo modprobe raw1394
Otherwise make sure that the user you try to access the device with has
the rights to read/write to it, i. e. is in the appropriate group.
id <username>
will show the groups <username> is member of.

Regards
mks

Old 08-05-2008, 02:05 PM
Doug Pollard

Sorry I didn't get back to this had a personal disater, I put in ls -l
/dev/raw1394 per instructions and recieved reply: ls -l /dev/raw1394
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 171, 0 2008-08-05 09:45 /dev/raw1394
I hope this means something to someone.
Doug

Old 08-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Doug Pollard wrote:

> Sorry I didn't get back to this had a personal disater, I put in ls -l
> /dev/raw1394 per instructions and recieved reply: ls -l /dev/raw1394
> crw-rw---- 1 root disk 171, 0 2008-08-05 09:45 /dev/raw1394
> I hope this means something to someone.

Is the user you try to access the device / run Kino with member of the
group "disk"?

Regards
mks

Old 08-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Doug Pollard

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>> Sorry I didn't get back to this had a personal disater, I put in ls -l
>> /dev/raw1394 per instructions and recieved reply: ls -l /dev/raw1394
>> crw-rw---- 1 root disk 171, 0 2008-08-05 09:45 /dev/raw1394
>> I hope this means something to someone.
>>

> Is the user you try to access the device / run Kino with member of the
> group "disk"?
>
> Regards
> mks

I don't understand what you are asking fore here? How do I check
permissions to see as user what permissions I have in kino?

Is the user you try to access the device / run Kino with member of the
group "disk"?
Can you elaborate a little. Also what is proper here on this list? Top posting or bottom?
Doug

Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Doug Pollard wrote:

> Markus Schönhaber wrote:

>> Is the user you try to access the device / run Kino with member of the
>> group "disk"?

> I don't understand what you are asking fore here? How do I check
> permissions to see as user what permissions I have in kino?

As I've written in my first reply: use
id
to get the groups listed the current user is member of. Use
id <username>
to get the groups for another user. Check whether for the relevant user
(the one you run Kino with, i. e. very likely the one you're using right
now) the output of the id command contains the group disk.
If that's not the case, add him to group disk.
If he already is member of disk, he should be able to read from and
write to the rwa1394 device - and I have no idea why Kino complains
about this being otherwise.

> Can you elaborate a little. Also what is proper here on this list? Top posting or bottom?

Please bottom post. And only keep the parts of the original message you
make a reference to in your reply. Doing a full quete is worse than
useless.

Regards
mks

Old 08-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Doug Pollard

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Doug Pollard wrote:
>

>> Markus Schönhaber wrote:
>>

>>> Is the user you try to access the device / run Kino with member of the
>>> group "disk"?
>>>

>> I don't understand what you are asking fore here? How do I check
>> permissions to see as user what permissions I have in kino?
>>

> As I've written in my first reply: use
> id
> to get the groups listed the current user is member of. Use
> id <username>
> to get the groups for another user. Check whether for the relevant user
> (the one you run Kino with, i. e. very likely the one you're using right
> now) the output of the id command contains the group disk.
> If that's not the case, add him to group disk.
> If he already is member of disk, he should be able to read from and
> write to the rwa1394 device - and I have no idea why Kino complains
> about this being otherwise.
>

>> Can you elaborate a little. Also what is proper here on this list? Top posting or bottom?
>>

> Please bottom post. And only keep the parts of the original message you
> make a reference to in your reply. Doing a full quete is worse than
> useless.
>
> Regards
> mks

Is it safe to run kino as sudo and capture video. I need to work on
the video and get back to permissions later after some reading. I don't
understand this thing of working with disks.
I'm not even sure what disk is as it relates to permissions to run raw 1394

Doug

Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
Leif Gregory

On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 17:20:56 -0400
Doug Pollard <dougpol1@verizon.net> wrote:

> Is it safe to run kino as sudo and capture video. I need to work
> on the video and get back to permissions later after some reading. I
> don't understand this thing of working with disks.
> I'm not even sure what disk is as it relates to permissions to run
> raw 1394

A resource to look at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewire

I remember seeing this beck when I first started messing with Kino and
my camcorder. I just can't for the life of me remember what I did about
it to fix it. I do remember running 'gksudo kino' a few times in the
beginning just to get the video off the camcorder.

My user is a member of the 'disk' group which might have been the fix.
Sorry, it was quite a while ago. I'll see if I can find some time in
the next day or two to hook my camcorder back up and see if I can
figure out what I had done.

--
Leif Gregory
Power Wagon Registry: http://powerwagonregistry.org