Old 08-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Anas

Default Ubuntu won't start

I was trying to compile anjuta from source and the program asked for
glib, how can I get back to Ubuntu version of glib

thank you very much

Davide Corio wrote:

Il giorno lun, 04/08/2008 alle 13.15 +0300, Anas ha scritto:

Greetings,

I'm using Ubuntu gutsy, when i try to star Ubuntu it boots and shows the
Nvidia splash screen and then it shows a black screen with the waiting
cursor, and still like this

it may be a compiz issue.
try to disable desktop-effects (though gconftool-2 for example)

yesterday I installed glib from source (the latest version) and I
installed gstreamer plug ins, what can I do

glibc from source? why?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:56 AM
Anas

When I try to run any application on command line, I get this message

Gtk_error: this version of gtk+ requires

glib-2.10.1

aborting...

Chris Jones wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu gutsy, when i try to star Ubuntu it boots and shows the
Nvidia splash screen and then it shows a black screen with the waiting
cursor, and still like this

yesterday I installed glib from source (the latest version) and I
installed gstreamer plug ins, what can I do

That was a bad idea. Any reason for install glib from source - What was
wrong with the ubuntu apt provided version ?

I would suggest trying to go back to the ubuntu version of glib

Chris

Old 08-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:18 +0300, Anas wrote:
> how can I get back to Ubuntu version of glib

Not sure how glib is packaged (that is, how many separate packages are
created from the source), but a brute-foce approach would be "sudo
aptitude reinstall libglib2.0-0". You should probably also reinstall the
other packages that are called libglib2.0-*.

Of course it would be better if you could try a "sudo make uninstall" in
your self-compiled copy of the source before reinstalling the packages
-- but not all makefiles offer one, try it out.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 14:18 +0300, Anas wrote:
> I was trying to compile anjuta from source and the program asked for
> glib

It was probably just telling you that it needs the libglib2.0-dev
package to compile.

In Ubuntu (and Debian) the development files (headers and such) are
packaged separately, so that people who don't use don't have to waste
space on them. Therefore, if you compile from source the ./config script
will often tell you "library xy not found", or something like that. More
often than not this just means that if didn't find the headers, which
can be solved by installing the corresponding -dev package.

And a tip regarding "make install": if you replace that with
"checkinstall make install", it will build a nice *.deb package instead
of simply dumping the files in the file system. This allows you to keep
an overview of what is installed, and also to uninstall cleanly.

Old 08-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Derek Broughton

Anas wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm using Ubuntu gutsy, when i try to star Ubuntu it boots and shows the
> Nvidia splash screen and then it shows a black screen with the waiting
> cursor, and still like this
>
> yesterday I installed glib from source (the latest version)

Why would you do that? You can't expect that compiling libraries from
source would work with your existing system. The library is available as a
package from ubuntu as libglib1.2. Nothing installed from ubuntu is going
to want any other version of the library.
--
derek

Old 08-08-2008, 06:34 PM
Derek Broughton

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Anas wrote:
>
>> I'm using Ubuntu gutsy, when i try to star Ubuntu it boots and shows the
>> Nvidia splash screen and then it shows a black screen with the waiting
>> cursor, and still like this
>>
>> yesterday I installed glib from source (the latest version)
>
> Why would you do that? You can't expect that compiling libraries from
> source would work with your existing system. The library is available as
> package from ubuntu as libglib1.2. Nothing installed from ubuntu is going
> to want any other version of the library.

oops. Missed libglib2*. As Mario says, you usually need the -dev package
of a library to compile apps that use it. I trust you realize anjuta is
_also_ available as a package.
--
derek