Old 12-06-2007, 01:05 PM
James Takac

Default How to show the Debian menu in the Applications menu...???

On Thursday 06 December 2007 23:37:41 Larry Shields wrote:
> *I had asked this question once before, using Ubuntu 7.4, but now with
> 7.10, I can not remember how it was done...
>
> Once the Debian menu appears in the Applications area, under Debian it
> will show much more app's than with out it, including HamRadio installed
> apps...
>
> Can someone point me to how I may add the Debian menu to the
> Applications menu...???
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer...
>
> Larry
> *
>
> --
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

Hi Larry

go to google and type "how to install anything in ubuntu" without the quotes.
do a quick search on any of the pages that come up matching for "debian menu"
and you'll find it

James

Old 12-06-2007, 01:09 PM
James Takac

On Thursday 06 December 2007 23:49:16 abby wrote:
> Larry Shields wrote:
> > *I had asked this question once before, using Ubuntu 7.4, but now with
> > 7.10, I can not remember how it was done...
> >
> > Once the Debian menu appears in the Applications area, under Debian it
> > will show much more app's than with out it, including HamRadio installed
> > apps...
> >
> > Can someone point me to how I may add the Debian menu to the
> > Applications menu...???
> >
> > Thanks for any help anyone can offer...
> >
> > Larry
> > *
>
> Go to System/Preferences/Main Menu

Hi Abby

That way wont work. I've tried it before to get my debian menu. There are a
number of sites out there detailing how to do it and it's not hard to find
luckily. I sent how to find the info in the post prior to this one

James

Old 12-06-2007, 01:26 PM
"Scott Sweeny"

On Dec 6, 2007 8:37 AM, Larry Shields <larry@isp.com> wrote:
> *I had asked this question once before, using Ubuntu 7.4, but now with
> 7.10, I can not remember how it was done...
>
> Once the Debian menu appears in the Applications area, under Debian it
> will show much more app's than with out it, including HamRadio installed
> apps...
>
> Can someone point me to how I may add the Debian menu to the
> Applications menu...???
>
> Thanks for any help anyone can offer...

Right-click on the Applications menu, and click on "Edit Menus". That
will open the GNOME menu editor. Check the box next to the Debian
menu and you should be all set.

Cheers,
~Scott

Old 12-06-2007, 01:34 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

James Takac <p3nndrag0n@gmail.com> said:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 23:37:41 Larry Shields wrote:
> > *I had asked this question once before, using Ubuntu 7.4, but now
> > with 7.10, I can not remember how it was done...
> >
> > Once the Debian menu appears in the Applications area, under Debian
> > it will show much more app's than with out it, including HamRadio
> > installed apps...
> >
> > Can someone point me to how I may add the Debian menu to the
> > Applications menu...???
> >
> > Thanks for any help anyone can offer...
> >
> > Larry
> > *
> >
> > --
> > Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> > by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
> > 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
> >
> > "This is Linux Country,
> > on a quiet night you can hear
> > WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
> >
> > GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> > Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>

> Hi Larry
>
> go to google and type "how to install anything in ubuntu" without the
> quotes. do a quick search on any of the pages that come up matching
> for "debian menu" and you'll find it
>
> James

I believe the Debian menu is contained within the package, "menu," and
is found in the, "Universe," repository.
In order to actually get the Debian menu you'll have to issue the
command, "update-menus," after installation.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 12-08-2007, 11:47 PM
Larry Shields

James Takac wrote:
> On Thursday 06 December 2007 23:37:41 Larry Shields wrote:
>
>> *I had asked this question once before, using Ubuntu 7.4, but now with
>> 7.10, I can not remember how it was done...
>>
>> Once the Debian menu appears in the Applications area, under Debian it
>> will show much more app's than with out it, including HamRadio installed
>> apps...
>>
>> Can someone point me to how I may add the Debian menu to the
>> Applications menu...???
>>
>> Thanks for any help anyone can offer...
>>
>> Larry
>> *
>>
>> --
>> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
>> by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
>> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
>>
>> "This is Linux Country,
>> on a quiet night you can hear
>> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>>
>> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
>> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
>>

> Hi Larry
>
> go to google and type "how to install anything in ubuntu" without the quotes.
> do a quick search on any of the pages that come up matching for "debian menu"
> and you'll find it
>
> James

Hello James,

Thanks for the help, at google I typed "How to install anything in
Ubuntu" and the first site gave me the answer...I now have Debian apps
added the the Applications menu...

Now for those that mention for me to use the system menu > preferences,
then main menu does not work for I had tried that quite awhile
back...But when checking that main menu now it is checked and shows up...

Thanks to all who had responded... ;-)

Larry

Old 12-09-2007, 12:12 AM
James Takac

On Sunday 09 December 2007 10:47:52 Larry Shields wrote:
> James Takac wrote:
> > On Thursday 06 December 2007 23:37:41 Larry Shields wrote:
> >> *I had asked this question once before, using Ubuntu 7.4, but now with
> >> 7.10, I can not remember how it was done...
> >>
> >> Once the Debian menu appears in the Applications area, under Debian it
> >> will show much more app's than with out it, including HamRadio installed
> >> apps...
> >>
> >> Can someone point me to how I may add the Debian menu to the
> >> Applications menu...???
> >>
> >> Thanks for any help anyone can offer...
> >>
> >> Larry
> >> *
> >>
> >> --
> >> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> >> by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
> >> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
> >>
> >> "This is Linux Country,
> >> on a quiet night you can hear
> >> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
> >>
> >> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> >> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net
> >
> > Hi Larry
> >
> > go to google and type "how to install anything in ubuntu" without the
> > quotes. do a quick search on any of the pages that come up matching for
> > "debian menu" and you'll find it
> >
> > James
>
> Hello James,
>
> Thanks for the help, at google I typed "How to install anything in
> Ubuntu" and the first site gave me the answer...I now have Debian apps
> added the the Applications menu...
>
> Now for those that mention for me to use the system menu > preferences,
> then main menu does not work for I had tried that quite awhile
> back...But when checking that main menu now it is checked and shows up...
>
> Thanks to all who had responded... ;-)
>
> Larry
>
> --
>
> Powered by Debian/GNU/Linux
> by Ubuntu ver 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon
> 73 de Larry/wd9esu 31yr's A.R.O.
>
> "This is Linux Country,
> on a quiet night you can hear
> WINDOZE ! Systems REBOOTING !!"
>
> GPG Fingerprint: A4D2 BFC2 B21B 8F7A C336 EFDC 7039 3CA5 3332 076E
> Public Key available from subkeys.pgp.net

Hi Larry

Glad you found it. I tried the way via the system menu before as well. I fould
that although you can check the debian menu, it still does not show up via
that method

James
--
nullius in verba (Take no one's word for it)

Latin Saying

Old 12-09-2007, 04:59 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 12-09-2007, 05:46 PM
"Cybe R. Wizard"

Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> said:
> I did the same thing.....found the suggestion to add menu-xdg...and
> menu....did that...but still don't have a Debian menu. Is there some
> other step I messed ??

Open a terminal and issue the command, "update-menus."

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes

Old 12-09-2007, 09:34 PM
Selcuk Yigit

Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> Frank McCormick <fmccormick@videotron.ca> said:
>
>> I did the same thing.....found the suggestion to add menu-xdg...and
>> menu....did that...but still don't have a Debian menu. Is there some
>> other step I messed ??
>>

> Open a terminal and issue the command, "update-menus."
>
> Cybe R. Wizard

Try these commands in this order...

_sudo apt-get install menu menu-xdg
sudo dpkg-reconfigure menu_