Old 08-04-2008, 10:47 AM
David Meireles

Default Fastest way to move Ubuntu from one (small) disk to a (bigger) disk?

This is not quite fast, but it's reliable... dd (use a live cd to do
so). But this would keep the partition layout, and I supose you want to
enlarge them.... You could do an reinstallation the easy way... list all
the installed packages to a file, then do a script that apt-get
install's them all. After that, copy the contents of your home dir and
you system will be almost the same.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:40 PM
David Vincent

Old 08-04-2008, 07:34 PM
debian

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 12:41 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I need to move my Ubuntu system from one small disk to a bigger one.
> What's the fastest way to do so? (If I can avoid a re-install, it's better).
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Gilles.

i hear that you can use if=/dev/[small disk] of=/dev/[large disk] but
ive heard that its not recommended.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:07 PM
Florian Diesch

Gilles Gravier <gilles@gravier.org> wrote:

> I need to move my Ubuntu system from one small disk to a bigger one.
> What's the fastest way to do so? (If I can avoid a re-install, it's better).

Mount the target disk, copy the files on it, change /etc/fstab and
your boot loader config if needed and reinstall the boot loader with
e.g.

sudo chroot /media/big_disk
grub-install

Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>

Old 08-05-2008, 06:55 AM
Gilles Gravier

Clonezilla worked fine! All nice and automatic.

Gilles

--
Signature Home Chastity
/*Gilles Gravier*/ *=* *Gilles@Gravier.org* <mailto:Gilles@Gravier.org>