Old 08-04-2008, 10:02 AM
Alan Milnes

Default Help with dual booting

Jake wrote:
> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and now
> I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into Ubuntu, I
> need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS on how to
> get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..

We need some more information. Can you please do the following:-

1) go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal

2) type in the following exactly as written:-

sudo fdisk -l > ~/mydisks.txt

3) type in your password when prompted

4) Now go to Places -> Home Folder

5) Double click on mydisks.txt

6) press the Ctrl and A keys at the same time

7) press the Ctrl and C keys at the same time

into the message

9) Please then send us the reply with the output included - on my system
using Thunderbird it's just a question of pressing the Send key.

Good luck.

Alan

Old 08-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Derek Broughton

Alan Milnes wrote:

> Jake wrote:
>> I have Ubuntu 8.04 and I installed it to work "with" Windows XP, and now
>> I can't get to Windows XP anymore, it automatically boots into Ubuntu, I
>> need help on how to either UNINSTALL Ubuntu or INSTRUCTIONS on how to
>> get to Windows XP, all your help will be appreciated..
>
> We need some more information.

We do? Can't hurt, but I usually assume that users did what they say they
did until proved elsewise.

Jake: edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as root (so use sudo, gksudo, kdesudo,
whichever is appropriate with your editor of choice). There should be
commented lines for a Windows boot like:

# title Windows 95/98/NT/2000
# root (hd0,0)
# makeactive
# chainloader +1

Copy those either before or after the section labelled "AUTOMAGIC KERNELS
LIST" (depending whether you want Windows first or last), and uncomment
them. Then run:

# sudo update-grub

That should be all you need.

> Can you please do the following:-
> sudo fdisk -l > ~/mydisks.txt
>
> 3) type in your password when prompted

There's no need for sudo or output redirection.

> 4) Now go to Places -> Home Folder
>
> 5) Double click on mydisks.txt
>
> 6) press the Ctrl and A keys at the same time
>
> 7) press the Ctrl and C keys at the same time

Could have cut and pasted from the terminal more easily.
--
derek

Old 08-04-2008, 03:28 PM
"Mumia W."

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto/ChangeDefaultOS
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SystemAdministration

Bookmark https://help.ubuntu.com/ for future reference.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:36 PM
Alan Milnes

Derek Broughton wrote:

> Could have cut and pasted from the terminal more easily.

Derek - you make lots of assumptions about what a confused user can do.
I provided step by step instructions as to how to determine what his
disk set up is. No point in screwing about with Grub if Windows isn't there.

Alan

Old 08-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Alan Milnes

Derek Broughton wrote:
>> sudo fdisk -l > ~/mydisks.txt
>>
>> 3) type in your password when prompted
>
> There's no need for sudo or output redirection.

If you don't use sudo you don't get any output!!

Alan

Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Derek Broughton

Alan Milnes wrote:

> Derek Broughton wrote:
>>> sudo fdisk -l > ~/mydisks.txt
>>>
>>> 3) type in your password when prompted
>>
>> There's no need for sudo or output redirection.
>
> If you don't use sudo you don't get any output!!

I certainly do.
--
derek

Old 08-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Ulf Rompe

On Di, 2008-08-05 at 12:34 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

> >> There's no need for sudo or output redirection.
> >
> > If you don't use sudo you don't get any output!!
>
> I certainly do.

That's because you are a member of group "disk" or altered the
permissions to /dev/sd*. Unprivileged users will just get "Cannot
open /dev/XXX". (Which of course is some kind of output, too - you're
right.)

[x] ulf

--
If you can stay calm, while all around you is chaos... then you probably
haven't completely understood the seriousness of the situation.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:28 PM
Chris Jones

Old 08-05-2008, 05:26 PM
Alan Milnes

Chris Jones wrote:

>> That's because you are a member of group "disk" or altered the
>> permissions to /dev/sd*. Unprivileged users will just get "Cannot
>> open /dev/XXX". (Which of course is some kind of output, too - you're
>> right.)
>
> Actually, I get precisely zero output without sudo.
>
> chris ~ > fdisk -l
> chris ~ >

Same here - hence why I told the OP to use sudo :-)

Alan

Old 08-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Derek Broughton

Ulf Rompe wrote:

>> > If you don't use sudo you don't get any output!!
>>
>> I certainly do.
>
> That's because you are a member of group "disk"

I am...

> or altered the
> permissions to /dev/sd*.

I certainly wouldn't.

So the question becomes, "does the initial user get automatically added to
disk?" I think it must.
--
derek