Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 AM
Robert Holtzman

Default editors in rescue mode (thanks)

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, NoOp wrote:

> It wouldn't have worked properly anyway; see Brian's earlier thread on
> this: "vi almost unusable in recovery console"

I had skipped over that thread before but went back and picked it up.

> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
>
> # apt-get install bogl-bterm

To ask a stupid question: in recovery mode?

Thanks to all that replied.

--
Bob Holtzman
A fair fight is the result of poor planning.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 PM
NoOp

On 08/04/2008 12:20 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, NoOp wrote:
>

>> It wouldn't have worked properly anyway; see Brian's earlier thread on
>> this: "vi almost unusable in recovery console"
>
> I had skipped over that thread before but went back and picked it up.
>

>> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
>>
>> # apt-get install bogl-bterm
>
> To ask a stupid question: in recovery mode?
>
> Thanks to all that replied.

Yeah, I know... it's pretty odd that you'd have to do that. I actually
stumbled across that when helping Brian. If I recall I tried to run
bterm and the response back was that I needed to install bogl-bterm via
apt-get.

I found a bogl-bterm-udeb in the /pool/main/b/bogl directory, but it's a
udeb and I've no clue about those. However, bterm can be extracted from
that and placed in /usr/share/terminfo/b/bterm:

http://packages.ubuntu.com/hardy/i386/bogl-bterm/filelist
/usr/bin/bterm
/usr/share/doc/bogl-bterm/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/bogl-bterm/copyright
/usr/share/man/man1/bterm.1.gz
/usr/share/terminfo/b/bterm

But trying to mess with that when you are in "Rescue a broken system"
mode isn't what I'd want to be doing anyway. Hopefully Brian's bug & the
one's that he referrenced will get some attention and bogl-bterm will
get installed by default on the next installers.

In the interim; on your working machines:
sudo apt-get install bogl-bterm
and then if you do have to go back into "Rescue a broken system" on any
of them you'll at least have bterm installed.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
NoOp

On 08/04/2008 12:20 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, NoOp wrote:
>

>> It wouldn't have worked properly anyway; see Brian's earlier thread on
>> this: "vi almost unusable in recovery console"
>
> I had skipped over that thread before but went back and picked it up.
>

>> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
>>
>> # apt-get install bogl-bterm
>
> To ask a stupid question: in recovery mode?
>
> Thanks to all that replied.

To add to my previous: I just brought up the Alternate CD and arrowed
down to "Rescue a broken system". I then selected F6 and selected
"Expert Mode" and allowed it to boot. That brings up a menu:
o choose language
o configure keyboard
o detect and mount cd-rom
o load installer components from cd
o change debconf priority
o check the cd-rom(s) integrity
o save debug logs
o execute a shell
o abort the installation

[I've never tried the "Expert Mode" before]

I selected "Execute a shell" and the menu then brings up:
<quote>
After this message, you will be running "ash", a Bourne-shell clone.

The root file is a RAM disk. The hard disk file systems are mounted on
"/target". The editor available to you is nano. It's very small and easy
to figure out. To get an idea of what Unix utilities are available to
you, use the "help" command.
</quote>

From there I cd'd to /usr/share/terminfo/b/ and sure enough, bterm is
there _and_ nano is working normally. I've no idea why it doesn't work
in non-expert mode (yet).

Old 08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno lun, 04/08/2008 alle 12.38 -0700, NoOp ha scritto:
> On 08/04/2008 12:20 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, NoOp wrote:
> >

> >> It wouldn't have worked properly anyway; see Brian's earlier thread on
> >> this: "vi almost unusable in recovery console"
> >
> > I had skipped over that thread before but went back and picked it up.
> >

> >> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
> >>
> >> # apt-get install bogl-bterm
> >
> > To ask a stupid question: in recovery mode?
> >
> > Thanks to all that replied.
> >

> To add to my previous: I just brought up the Alternate CD and arrowed
> down to "Rescue a broken system". I then selected F6 and selected
> "Expert Mode" and allowed it to boot. That brings up a menu:

Hi,
by the way, I found also useful the "Ubuntu Rescue Remix" live CD that
you could get at

http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/

is like using the alternate cd the way NoOp says, only better because
you have a lot more tools (e.g. parted) which aren't on the Ubuntu
Alternate. They aren't really needed for solve the problem of the OP
[neither is an editor, as I pointed out], but is good to know it exists,
I think.

By the way, I agree that having no functioning editor in "rescue mode"
makes the rescue mode itself meaningless and that a bug should be filled
about that...

Enjoy

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 PM
NoOp

On 08/04/2008 01:27 PM, Leo Cacciari wrote:

> Hi,
> by the way, I found also useful the "Ubuntu Rescue Remix" live CD that
> you could get at
>
> http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/
>
> is like using the alternate cd the way NoOp says, only better because
> you have a lot more tools (e.g. parted) which aren't on the Ubuntu
> Alternate. They aren't really needed for solve the problem of the OP
> [neither is an editor, as I pointed out], but is good to know it exists,
> I think.

Cool! Thanks for the link - I'll give that a spin later today or tomorrow.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 AM
Robert Holtzman

> To add to my previous: I just brought up the Alternate CD and arrowed
> down to "Rescue a broken system". I then selected F6 and selected
> "Expert Mode" and allowed it to boot. That brings up a menu:
> o choose language
> o configure keyboard
> o detect and mount cd-rom
> o load installer components from cd
> o change debconf priority
> o check the cd-rom(s) integrity
> o save debug logs
> o execute a shell
> o abort the installation
>
> [I've never tried the "Expert Mode" before]
>
> I selected "Execute a shell" and the menu then brings up:
> <quote>
> After this message, you will be running "ash", a Bourne-shell clone.
>
> The root file is a RAM disk. The hard disk file systems are mounted on
> "/target". The editor available to you is nano. It's very small and easy
> to figure out. To get an idea of what Unix utilities are available to
> you, use the "help" command.
> </quote>
>
>> From there I cd'd to /usr/share/terminfo/b/ and sure enough, bterm is
> there _and_ nano is working normally. I've no idea why it doesn't work
> in non-expert mode (yet).

I never would have found that on my own. Thanks.

--
Bob Holtzman
The most dangerous ones aren't the ones who don't know.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:48 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:38 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 08/04/2008 12:20 AM, Robert Holtzman wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Aug 2008, NoOp wrote:
>>> It wouldn't have worked properly anyway; see Brian's earlier thread on
>>> this: "vi almost unusable in recovery console"
>>
>> I had skipped over that thread before but went back and picked it up.
>>

>>> If you have a working network connection on the machine:
>>>
>>> # apt-get install bogl-bterm
>>
>> To ask a stupid question: in recovery mode?
>
> To add to my previous: I just brought up the Alternate CD and arrowed
> down to "Rescue a broken system". I then selected F6 and selected
> "Expert Mode" and allowed it to boot. That brings up a menu:
> o choose language
> o configure keyboard
> o detect and mount cd-rom
> o load installer components from cd
> o change debconf priority
> o check the cd-rom(s) integrity
> o save debug logs
> o execute a shell
> o abort the installation
>
> [I've never tried the "Expert Mode" before]
>
> I selected "Execute a shell" and the menu then brings up:
> <quote>
> After this message, you will be running "ash", a Bourne-shell clone.
>
> The root file is a RAM disk. The hard disk file systems are mounted on
> "/target". The editor available to you is nano. It's very small and easy
> to figure out. To get an idea of what Unix utilities are available to
> you, use the "help" command.
> </quote>
>
> From there I cd'd to /usr/share/terminfo/b/ and sure enough, bterm is
> there _and_ nano is working normally. I've no idea why it doesn't work
> in non-expert mode (yet).

Huh, I never tried that either. I'll have to twiddle more.
Thanks for noticing.

Brian