Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 AM
"Eddie b"

Default Laptop mode on Hardy

Hello All,

I am having a problem with Travelmate laptop shutting down on critical battery, it simply doesn't nor does it give me indication, ie: the hover-over and clicking on values are never equal (out* from each other varying from 20 to 35%), the only time they match is when the battery hits 0%. I have enabled laptop tools, it indicated when it is on battery, but the times never change they remain 99% untill it hits 0%, the click-on value often sits at 64%, this is on a fully charged battery, I know I get 2.5 hours out of this batery, and the only indication I get its poor is when the laptops internal criticalbatt amber light flashes.

Now I can live with this to a point, but what I can't live with is it just dying because the batery can't supply any more power, this as you know is not good for any filesystem.

I have read many suggestions from google, percentages and settings are correct from what I can tell in acpi-support and lapt-top tools, but i've even read that ubuntu " strips the guts out of the debian laptop tools and doesnt honour many of its settings" to quote a post off one of the myriad pages of results recommending installing the debian version. I have followed other suggestions involving gconf-editor, unchecking 1 and 2 of the settings, but also to no avail.

Has anyone running one of these thing with Hardy actually managed to get it to work?* Either to shut-off safely, or at least report the correct percentage and/or time remaining, preferably all threee but I wont push my luck.

Eddie

Old 08-05-2008, 07:10 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Eddie b <lazered@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am having a problem with Travelmate laptop shutting down on critical
> battery, it simply doesn't nor does it give me indication, ie: the
> hover-over and clicking on values are never equal (out from each other
> varying from 20 to 35%), the only time they match is when the battery hits
> 0%. I have enabled laptop tools, it indicated when it is on battery, but the
> times never change they remain 99% untill it hits 0%, the click-on value
> often sits at 64%, this is on a fully charged battery, I know I get 2.5
> hours out of this batery, and the only indication I get its poor is when the
> laptops internal criticalbatt amber light flashes.
>
> Now I can live with this to a point, but what I can't live with is it just
> dying because the batery can't supply any more power, this as you know is
> not good for any filesystem.
>
> I have read many suggestions from google, percentages and settings are
> correct from what I can tell in acpi-support and lapt-top tools, but i've
> even read that ubuntu " strips the guts out of the debian laptop tools and
> doesnt honour many of its settings" to quote a post off one of the myriad
> pages of results recommending installing the debian version. I have followed
> other suggestions involving gconf-editor, unchecking 1 and 2 of the
> settings, but also to no avail.
>
> Has anyone running one of these thing with Hardy actually managed to get it
> to work? Either to shut-off safely, or at least report the correct
> percentage and/or time remaining, preferably all threee but I wont push my
> luck.

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence.

You don't mention how you are monitoring and controlling power. In
the past, I have messed with acpi scripts, but it is not needed now.
In 8.04, I've been happy with the gnome-power-manager framework. If
you are running gnome, you can install that and then run the applet.
If you right click on that, you can open preferences and it will let
you specify a shutdown at low power.

I think/hope that the detailed user revision of acpi scripts is a
thing of the past.

pj
--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 08-05-2008, 11:06 PM
"Eddie b"

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:53 PM, Eddie b <lazered@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,

> I am having a problem with Travelmate laptop shutting down on critical

> battery, it simply doesn't nor does it give me indication, ie: the

> hover-over and clicking on values are never equal (out *from each other

> varying from 20 to 35%), the only time they match is when the battery hits

> 0%. I have enabled laptop tools, it indicated when it is on battery, but the

> times never change they remain 99% untill it hits 0%, the click-on value

> often sits at 64%, this is on a fully charged battery, I know I get 2.5

> hours out of this batery, and the only indication I get its poor is when the

> laptops internal criticalbatt amber light flashes.

> Now I can live with this to a point, but what I can't live with is it just

> dying because the batery can't supply any more power, this as you know is

> not good for any filesystem.

> I have read many suggestions from google, percentages and settings are

> correct from what I can tell in acpi-support and lapt-top tools, but i've

> even read that ubuntu " strips the guts out of the debian laptop tools and

> doesnt honour many of its settings" to quote a post off one of the myriad

> pages of results recommending installing the debian version. I have followed

> other suggestions involving gconf-editor, unchecking 1 and 2 of the

> settings, but also to no avail.

> Has anyone running one of these thing with Hardy actually managed to get it

> to work? *Either to shut-off safely, or at least report the correct

> percentage and/or time remaining, preferably all threee but I wont push my

> luck.

I hope I'm not insulting your intelligence.

You don't mention how you are monitoring and controlling power. *In

the past, I have messed with acpi scripts, but it is not needed now.

In 8.04, I've been happy with the gnome-power-manager framework. *If

you are running gnome, you can install that and then run the applet.

If you right click on that, you can open preferences and it will let

you specify a shutdown at low power.

My bad!* Yes I am using gnome-power-manager, thats what is not working.

*

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
"Eddie b"

My bad!* Yes I am using gnome-power-manager, thats what is not working.

Does anyone have any pointers to getting a lappy power management to work ? Oh, and a way that actually does work Unlike most things Google has shown.

Ed

Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Res

On Thu, 7 Aug 2008, Eddie b wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Eddie b <lazered@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> My bad! Yes I am using gnome-power-manager, thats what is not working.
>>

> Does anyone have any pointers to getting a lappy power management to work ?
> Oh, and a way that actually does work Unlike most things Google has
> shown.
>
> Ed

gnome power manager in ubuntu is as flakey as hell, i'd never ever rely on
it, it doesnt AFAIK shut down here either, even put a touch file command
in hibernate script and its never done that either, mines also highly
inacurate with power level percentage and time until it gets to 3% then it
reflects it, then 2 then 1 and then 0, where it sits until it dies, i note
you claimed ubuntu strips the guts out of laptop tools from debian
version, did you try debian version? I might give it a go myself on the
weekend to see if it fixes it, perhaps its just not relaible enough, Id be
really surpsied if its just the acers that it cant work with.

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
a nicer place.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Derek Broughton

Eddie b wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Eddie b <lazered@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> My bad! Yes I am using gnome-power-manager, thats what is not working.
>>

> Does anyone have any pointers to getting a lappy power management to work
> ? Oh, and a way that actually does work Unlike most things Google has
> shown.

Define "work". Laptop power management covers a huge array of issues.
- Sleep/Suspend/Hibernate states - imo, those can always be made to work on
a reasonably modern laptop.
- Processor states - not all systems can do C states, though I think they
can all do T states. Actually controlling them through any laptop power
management policy seems practically impossible though :-(
- Disk (and other peripherals) management - can be done, but the default
power-manager apps don't seem to have any support.
- Thermal - many ACPI implementations don't seem to permit you any control
of thermal policy. The fan comes on when it comes on and goes off when it
goes off. I'm just beginning to get a handle on this on my own system. At
least I've now figured out how to reset this when it breaks (unplugging,
then replugging power - don't ask me _why_ it works!).
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 03:45 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/7 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
> Define "work".

The transfer of energy between systems, without the transfer of entropy.
Or, if you prefer: W = F*d*cos(theta)
theta: angle between V(vector) and F(vector).

By the way, KDE's guidance-power-manager is great. Try to see if it
will run in Gnome.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Derek Broughton

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 2008/8/7 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
>> Define "work".
>
> The transfer of energy between systems, without the transfer of entropy.
> Or, if you prefer: W = F*d*cos(theta)
> theta: angle between V(vector) and F(vector).

There's one in every bunch <sigh>

> By the way, KDE's guidance-power-manager is great. Try to see if it
> will run in Gnome.

It is? You can't do anything but suspend/hibernate/shutdown, control
brightness and lock the screen when the lid is closed (at least on my
system). The underlying app is apparently capable of a great deal more
(and I thought the gnome front end was, too) but the KDE applet doesn't
give me much control.
--
derek

Old 08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

2008/8/7 Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca>:
>> By the way, KDE's guidance-power-manager is great. Try to see if it
>> will run in Gnome.
>
> It is? You can't do anything but suspend/hibernate/shutdown, control
> brightness and lock the screen when the lid is closed (at least on my
> system). The underlying app is apparently capable of a great deal more
> (and I thought the gnome front end was, too) but the KDE applet doesn't
> give me much control.

I was referring to the OP's concern, not your list of features. I
should have been clear about that. The reason that I replied to your
mail and not the OP was to take advantage of the work definition
request.

I do not know of any GUI app that provides _all_ the features that you
mention, but KDE's Klaptop power management app had provided
everything you mention except the thermal (fan) control when it was
maintained. I think it has been abandoned, though. There was another
one before Klaptop that had most of the features as well.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 PM
"Eddie b"

On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 1:00 AM, Derek Broughton <news@pointerstop.ca> wrote:

Eddie b wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 9:06 AM, Eddie b <lazered@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 5:10 AM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com>

>> wrote:

>> My bad! *Yes I am using gnome-power-manager, thats what is not working.

> Does anyone have any pointers to getting a lappy power management to work

> ? Oh, and a way that actually does work Unlike most things Google has

> shown.

Define "work". *Laptop power management covers a huge array of issues.

- Sleep/Suspend/Hibernate states - imo, those can always be made to work on

a reasonably modern laptop.
hibernate, as per my original post, I am on the road a lot and I need a working power monitor that tells me how much battery is left, and when it gets to critical, it takes the correct action and safely shuts down/hibernates, not just drops dead because the battery can't give it any more power

I thought it was not working because of the ficticous values the time/percentage shows, but when it does show the 3% I note it did not hibernate, never does/did.

-