Old 08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
"Brian McKee"

Default The Search for a useable Ubuntu Home Server

<shameless plug>

I'm not quite sure why, but I started a new blog today.

Check it out at http://furicle.blogspot.com

It's all about me replacing my IPCop box and consolidating down to a
single Ubuntu Home Server.

I'm doing it just a subject or less a day - a couple of a paragraphs
at a time. The theory is I'll get ahead of it and time release the
blog entries once every day or two to get a steady stream of output.
We'll see how it goes.

Feel free to wander on over and flame me for being an idiot in the comments.

Brian

</shameless plug>

Old 08-03-2008, 10:12 PM
NoOp

On 08/03/2008 02:22 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
> <shameless plug>
>
> I'm not quite sure why, but I started a new blog today.
>
> Check it out at http://furicle.blogspot.com
>
> It's all about me replacing my IPCop box and consolidating down to a
> single Ubuntu Home Server.
>
> I'm doing it just a subject or less a day - a couple of a paragraphs
> at a time. The theory is I'll get ahead of it and time release the
> blog entries once every day or two to get a steady stream of output.
> We'll see how it goes.
>
> Feel free to wander on over and flame me for being an idiot in the comments.
>
> Brian
>
> </shameless plug>

I wonder if others find:
background:#000000;
margin:0;
color:#cccccc;
font: x-small "Trebuchet MS", Trebuchet, Verdana, Sans-serif;

irritating and hard to read. Poorly rendering tiny white font against a
black background. I have to turn off 'colors' in my browsers (Fx and
SeaMonkey) to read it.

Old 08-03-2008, 11:07 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On 08/03/2008 02:22 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
>> <shameless plug>
>>
>> I'm not quite sure why, but I started a new blog today.
>>
>> Check it out at http://furicle.blogspot.com
> Poorly rendering tiny white font against a
> black background.

Hey - I'm easy - was just one of the Blogpress standard templates. I
was thinking it was too narrow as well, so I picked something else.

Brian

Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 PM
NoOp

On 08/03/2008 04:07 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 6:12 PM, NoOp <glgxg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2008 02:22 PM, Brian McKee wrote:
>>> <shameless plug>
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure why, but I started a new blog today.
>>>
>>> Check it out at http://furicle.blogspot.com
>> Poorly rendering tiny white font against a
>> black background.
>
> Hey - I'm easy - was just one of the Blogpress standard templates. I
> was thinking it was too narrow as well, so I picked something else.
>
> Brian

Thanks. Looks much better... Now of course you have to put up with
spelling errors (I could by a vs I could buy) etc, but at least it is
now readable :-)

Old 08-03-2008, 11:37 PM
Ken McLennan

G'day there Brian,

> Hey - I'm easy - was just one of the Blogpress standard templates. I
> was thinking it was too narrow as well, so I picked something else.
>
> Brian

Much better!!!

Thanks
See ya
Ken

Old 08-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 17:22 -0400, Brian McKee wrote:

> It's all about me replacing my IPCop box and consolidating down to a
> single Ubuntu Home Server.

Considering the subject line, you might be interested in this thread:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-discuss/2008-July/004970.html

Old 08-04-2008, 04:39 AM
Clifford Haynes

NoOp wrote:

[...]

Who gives a rat's butt!* You missed the point.* If you want it fancy,
then help the

man out in the blog design.* For God's sake, say something positive.* Do
something

positive.* After all, he IS trying to make a contribution!* I
had no trouble reading

what he had to say.* Leave the petty crap on the playground.* The past
couple of

months, I have seen more "playground tantrums" on here than any
substance.* If

you have nothing good or nice to say, shut your fat face.* GROW
UP!* ALL OF YOU!

If what I have to say offends some one, then I'm sad to say "Oh well".*

I like his idea & will be following it.

Old 08-04-2008, 04:51 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 00:39 -0400, Clifford Haynes wrote:
> Who gives a rat's butt! You missed the point. If you want it fancy,
> then help the man out in the blog design. For God's sake, say
> something positive. Do something positive. After all, he IS trying
> to make a contribution! I had no trouble reading what he had to say.
> Leave the petty crap on the playground. The past couple of months, I
> have seen more "playground tantrums" on here than any substance. If
> you have nothing good or nice to say, shut your fat face. GROW UP!
> ALL OF YOU! If what I have to say offends some one, then I'm sad to
> say "Oh well".

> I like his idea & will be following it.

First of all, NoOp is one of the most helpful people on the list. He is
consistently friendly even if sometimes it must be hard. What's wrong
with pointing out bad readability choices?

Your post reads more like a playground tantrum than most others I have
seen here recently. I'm sure Res will show up soon to support you and
insult me along with a few others; I hope this satisfies you

Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 AM
Res

On Mon, 4 Aug 2008, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 00:39 -0400, Clifford Haynes wrote:
>> Who gives a rat's butt! You missed the point. If you want it fancy,
>> then help the man out in the blog design. For God's sake, say
>> something positive. Do something positive. After all, he IS trying
>> to make a contribution! I had no trouble reading what he had to say.
>> Leave the petty crap on the playground. The past couple of months, I
>> have seen more "playground tantrums" on here than any substance. If
>> you have nothing good or nice to say, shut your fat face. GROW UP!
>> ALL OF YOU! If what I have to say offends some one, then I'm sad to
>> say "Oh well".
>
>> I like his idea & will be following it.
>
> First of all, NoOp is one of the most helpful people on the list. He is
> consistently friendly even if sometimes it must be hard. What's wrong
> with pointing out bad readability choices?
>
> Your post reads more like a playground tantrum than most others I have
> seen here recently. I'm sure Res will show up soon to support you and
> insult me along with a few others; I hope this satisfies you

Should I be scared of your facination with me? It's close to stalking

Surprisingly no, I couldnt agree with *you* more. I might be outspoken
towards the self appointed net-cop list nazis, and perhaps the
"rent-a-crowds' ( AKA as those who just jump on the bandwagon because they
are bored and it seems the cool thing to do, when I have ago the list
nazis) but I never generalise, ever, there in fact are very few on
this list that I have little time for.

NoOp was not nasty or offensive in his comments to the guy, he was telling
him as he saw it, and I agree with him, I have never understood why some
people choose to use such miniscule fonts, I simply "move on" and never
bother reading the stuff, my eyes are pretty good, and I'm keeping it that
way by not squinting them up trying to read it.

--
Cheers
Res

2/ If only cleanfeed filtered out trolls as well as spam, usenet would be
a nicer place.