-   -   KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!! (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/136566-kde4-whyohwhyohwhy.html)

Graham Watkins 08-03-2008 09:30 AM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4? I'm finding the menu almost
impossible to navigate. I used to quite like KDE3 and this seems like a
step backwards in terms of useability.

I shall keep it installed as there are some individual KDE programs that
I still rather like but I expect to be using them under Gnome or XFCE
from now on.

This is a rant issued out of frustration rather than a request for
information. Sorry if anyone feels I've wasted their time.

--
Graham Watkins

"To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows
box, you just need to work on it."
SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.

Ansgar Burchardt 08-03-2008 11:07 AM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Hi,

Graham Watkins <shellycat.gw@ntlworld.com> writes:

> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4? I'm finding the menu almost
> impossible to navigate. I used to quite like KDE3 and this seems like a
> step backwards in terms of useability.

I'm not using KDE4 myself, but IIRC you can switch the menu back to the
one used in KDE3. I think right-click on it and there you should be
able to somehow reconfigure it.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19 739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797 B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Mario Vukelic 08-03-2008 12:28 PM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:30 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4?

I don't know whether any one can, but the KDE devs made it abundantly
clear that 4.0 is a platform release intended for application developers
to start working on. It was not intended for users. This has been
discussed very widely since, including the IMHO weird choice of version
number for such a realease.

According to reviews, KDE 4.1 is supposed to be much better and the
first 4.x release that is intended for adventurous users, though it is
still not perfect. See
http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml

"Mark Haney" 08-03-2008 12:44 PM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Graham Watkins wrote:
> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4? I'm finding the menu almost
> impossible to navigate. I used to quite like KDE3 and this seems like a
> step backwards in terms of useability.
>
> I shall keep it installed as there are some individual KDE programs that
> I still rather like but I expect to be using them under Gnome or XFCE
> from now on.
>
> This is a rant issued out of frustration rather than a request for
> information. Sorry if anyone feels I've wasted their time.

Honestly, I felt the same way when I started using it right when 4.0 was
first released (I'm a glutton for punishment I suppose). But, after
playing with it, and seeing how it's improved up through 4.0.7 (or .8)
and now using 4.1, I think it's a far cry better than early KDE3 builds
and once you get used to it you can do so much more with it than KDE3.

It's like with anything new, it looks too complicated and scary, but
once you get used to it, it's actually really great.

Of course, YMMV, but I try my best to kill my system everyday with the
amount of work I do on it, and it still works great. Much smoother,
much faster than 3.5.9 and I love the plasmoids.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Jim Smith 08-03-2008 06:43 PM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:30 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:
>
>> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4?
>>

> I don't know whether any one can, but the KDE devs made it abundantly
> clear that 4.0 is a platform release intended for application developers
> to start working on. It was not intended for users. This has been
> discussed very widely since, including the IMHO weird choice of version
> number for such a realease.
>
> According to reviews, KDE 4.1 is supposed to be much better and the
> first 4.x release that is intended for adventurous users, though it is
> still not perfect. See
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml

Did not work right for me. It would not go beyond requesting an Ubuntu
Hardy CD, which I inserted but was not recognised. I did try KDE 4.0 on
my other machine (desktop) and am not impressed. KDE 3.5 is better
IMHO. I will await another Alpha release or two and upgrade to Intrepid
on this my play machine.

YMMV

Jim

Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, onl...................

"Jim Rosser" 08-03-2008 07:51 PM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Not to kill your whine fest but what does this have to do with technical support?* Pretty sure theres a different mailing list for general discussion and its not this one.

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Jim Smith <jim@oz.net> wrote:

Mario Vukelic wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:30 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:

>> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4?

> I don't know whether any one can, but the KDE devs made it abundantly

> clear that 4.0 is a platform release intended for application developers

> to start working on. It was not intended for users. This has been

> discussed very widely since, including the IMHO weird choice of version

> number for such a realease.

> According to reviews, KDE 4.1 is supposed to be much better and the

> first 4.x release that is intended for adventurous users, though it is

> still not perfect. See

> http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml

Did not work right for me. It would not go beyond requesting an Ubuntu

Hardy CD, which I inserted but was not recognised. I did try KDE 4.0 on

my other machine (desktop) and am not impressed. KDE 3.5 is better

IMHO. *I will await another Alpha release or two and upgrade to Intrepid

on this my play machine.

YMMV

Jim

Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, onl...................

Jim Rosser
Winchester Designs

Jim Smith 08-03-2008 08:20 PM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Jim Rosser wrote:
> Not to kill your whine fest but what does this have to do with
> technical support? Pretty sure theres a different mailing list for
> general discussion and its not this one.
>
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Jim Smith <jim@oz.net
> <mailto:jim@oz.net>> wrote:
>
> Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:30 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:
> >
> >> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4?
> >>

> > I don't know whether any one can, but the KDE devs made it
> abundantly
> > clear that 4.0 is a platform release intended for application
> developers
> > to start working on. It was not intended for users. This has been
> > discussed very widely since, including the IMHO weird choice of
> version
> > number for such a realease.
> >
> > According to reviews, KDE 4.1 is supposed to be much better and the
> > first 4.x release that is intended for adventurous users, though
> it is
> > still not perfect. See
> >
> http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-To-Install-KDE-4-1-On-Ubuntu-8-04-91034.shtml
> >

> Did not work right for me. It would not go beyond requesting an Ubuntu
> Hardy CD, which I inserted but was not recognised. I did try KDE
> 4.0 on
> my other machine (desktop) and am not impressed. KDE 3.5 is better
> IMHO. I will await another Alpha release or two and upgrade to
> Intrepid
> on this my play machine.
>
> YMMV
>
> Jim
>
> Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, onl...................

> Jim Rosser
> Winchester Designs
In my case it was an episode of newbie thinking. If I don't want it to
expect the CD, then I should just deselect it from Software Sources.

Jim

--
Its only a hobby, only a hobby, only a hobby, only a ho............

debian 08-04-2008 01:00 AM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 10:30 +0100, Graham Watkins wrote:
> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4?
no i HATE kde 4!!! Kdesktop (or what ever its called in kde 4) seems
very unstable. It crashed hard on my system, a simple reboot didnt seem
to fix it either. Plus i hate how i cant create folders on my desktop.

ive been using gnome ever since ive switched to ubuntu and thats just
how its going to stay

--cj

Mario Vukelic 08-04-2008 04:14 AM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 19:00 -0600, debian wrote:
> Plus i hate how i cant create folders on my desktop.

Well, that's one of the results of 4.0 being a developer release and
again, it's not as if this was a secret. 4.1 has started to reintroduce
desktop icons (though only inside a kind of window that you can place on
the desktop). 4.2 will probably finish this development (and then you
will be able to show files from any other folder on the desktop -- I
think that's great)

Steve Lamb 08-04-2008 04:38 AM

KDE4 WhyOhWhyOhWhy?!!

Graham Watkins wrote:
> Can anybody actually stand to use KDE4? I'm finding the menu almost
> impossible to navigate. I used to quite like KDE3 and this seems like a
> step backwards in terms of useability.

Remove it, RMB on the desktop, select add widget (or plasmoid or
whatever its called) and drag from the icon to the bar the other menu.
There's 2. One is KDE4-crap, the other mimics the good 3.5 behavior.