Old 08-01-2008, 04:29 PM
Boubakar Soumare

Default remove ubuntu 6.06

Hello,

Please may you advise me how to remove this Ubuntu v.6 to be able to
install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS ?

Thank you very much

Boubakar Soumaré

Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 AM
Mario Vukelic

On Fri, 2008-08-01 at 17:29 +0100, Boubakar Soumare wrote:
> Please may you advise me how to remove this Ubuntu v.6 to be able to
> install Ubuntu 8.04 LTS ?

Don't you want to simply upgrade? The process is explained here:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

Also read the release notes:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804

If you really want to reinstall, there are two ways:

1. Absolutely total reinstall
* Back up your data, at least /home, possibly /etc, maybe also
other locations
* Download and burn the 8.04 CD (Desktop or Alternate version,
depending on what you want)
* Boot from CD and start install
* In the partitioning stage, choose to format the disks. This will
remove all your data as well as the old Ubunu version
* Finish installation
* Copy /home to the new system and check that the permissions are
still ok (the user IDs must be the same between old and new
system; no problem if you had only one user). You may want to
NOT copy all of /home (which would copy the old configuration,
too), but just selected parts from /home/<username>

2. Not so complete reinstall
* Back up your data, at least /home, possibly /etc, maybe also
other locations
* Download and burn the 8.04 CD (Desktop or Alternate version,
depending on what you want)
* Boot from CD and start install
* In the partitioning stage, choose "manual partitioning", but
choose NOT to format the disks. This will remove most of the old
system, but will leave /home and a few other locations
intact.DISCLAIMER: I have never done that, just read that it
works (but the source was reliable). Back up
* Finish installation

Old 08-03-2008, 06:38 AM
Mario Vukelic

Sorry, my finger slipped and I sent too early. Here comes the missing
part:

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 08:30 +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> 2. Not so complete reinstall
> * Back up your data, at least /home, possibly /etc, maybe also
> other locations
> * Download and burn the 8.04 CD (Desktop or Alternate version,
> depending on what you want)
> * Boot from CD and start install
> * In the partitioning stage, choose "manual partitioning", but
> choose NOT to format the disks. This will remove most of the old
> system, but will leave /home and a few other locations
> intact.DISCLAIMER: I have never done that, just read that it
> works (but the source was reliable). Back up
your data in any case. I am not sure whether this also
works with the Alternate CD, I think I have only read about it
in the context of the Desktop CD