-   -   intrepid and nvidia (http://www.linux-archive.org/ubuntu-user/136423-intrepid-nvidia.html)

Carl Karsten 08-02-2008 11:14 PM

intrepid and nvidia

I am installed 2.6.26-5-generic on my hardy box, which 'fixed'

but now nvidia binary isn't loading:

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
Atom 4, CARD32 4, unsigned long 4

system, admin, hardware drivers - nothing listed (no list, not "nvidia not checked")

so what do I need to do to get the best of all worlds?

Carl K

"David Fox" 08-02-2008 11:55 PM

intrepid and nvidia

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
> I am installed 2.6.26-5-generic on my hardy box, which 'fixed'
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/228548
>
> but now nvidia binary isn't loading:

Anytime you have to change the kernel you need to recompile the kernel
portion of the nvidia driver. Did you do that?

Carl Karsten 08-03-2008 01:19 AM

intrepid and nvidia

David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
>> I am installed 2.6.26-5-generic on my hardy box, which 'fixed'
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/228548
>>
>> but now nvidia binary isn't loading:
>
> Anytime you have to change the kernel you need to recompile the kernel
> portion of the nvidia driver. Did you do that?

Um, not sure. I have never had to do what i would call 'compile' - like
make/make install - but I guess maybe the installer does stuff? what I did do:

I installed linux-image-2.6.26-5-generic_2.6.26-5.13_i386.deb (21.0 MiB) from

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/linux-image-2.6.26-5-generic/2.6.26-5.13

so I am guessing I need to find something like

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.26-5-generic/2.6.26-5.11

but that didn't help.

Carl K

"David Fox" 08-03-2008 01:27 AM

intrepid and nvidia

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:

> Um, not sure. I have never had to do what i would call 'compile' - like
> make/make install - but I guess maybe the installer does stuff? what I did do:

You probably want something like nvidia-kernel-source that matches the
kernel you installed.

The approach I took basically got nvidia-kernel source,
nvidia-kernel-common (for the kernel space part of the driver) and
nvidia-glx (the userspace part) and then did a module-assistant
auto-install on the nvidia-kernel-source part, and then install the
nvidia-glx part. It wasn't too difficult to get working early on, and
worked fairly well (except for minor text glitches, which I still get
when I initially start X up, but can be done away with by ctrl-alt-F1
followed by an alt-F7.

Recently, however, I had a system failure and had to reinstall a bunch
of stuff. I never was able to get the nvidia driver back, so I went
and downloaded the nvidia 173. driver from nvidia's own site and
installed that. Now it works, but doesn't (and seemingly can't) start
on boot. I have to go in and sudo insmod to get the module to load.

Perhaps I'll open up a new message for that.

Carl Karsten 08-03-2008 04:30 PM

intrepid and nvidia

David Fox wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
>
>> Um, not sure. I have never had to do what i would call 'compile' - like
>> make/make install - but I guess maybe the installer does stuff? what I did do:
>
> You probably want something like nvidia-kernel-source that matches the
> kernel you installed.
>
> The approach I took basically got nvidia-kernel source,
> nvidia-kernel-common (for the kernel space part of the driver) and
> nvidia-glx (the userspace part) and then did a module-assistant
> auto-install on the nvidia-kernel-source part, and then install the
> nvidia-glx part. It wasn't too difficult to get working early on, and
> worked fairly well (except for minor text glitches, which I still get
> when I initially start X up, but can be done away with by ctrl-alt-F1
> followed by an alt-F7.
>
> Recently, however, I had a system failure and had to reinstall a bunch
> of stuff. I never was able to get the nvidia driver back, so I went
> and downloaded the nvidia 173. driver from nvidia's own site and
> installed that. Now it works, but doesn't (and seemingly can't) start
> on boot. I have to go in and sudo insmod to get the module to load.
>
> Perhaps I'll open up a new message for that.

I searched for nvidia-kernel-source and found:

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/nvidia-kernel-source-envy
"""
This package builds the NVIDIA XFree86 4.x/X.Org binary kernel module needed
by nvidia-glx. This package is not needed on an Ubuntu system because
a pre-compiled kernel module is supplied by the linux-restricted-modules
packages.
"""

I installed linux-restricted-modules -

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.26-5-generic/2.6.26-5.11

shouldn't that do it?

I also tried:

carl@dv67:~$ sudo modprobe nvidia
[sudo] password for carl:
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

any idea where I can see more details?

Carl K

Karl Larsen 08-03-2008 04:46 PM

intrepid and nvidia

Carl Karsten wrote:
> David Fox wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
>>

>> Recently, however, I had a system failure and had to reinstall a bunch
>> of stuff.
What was the system failure? Why did you need to re-install anything?

>> I never was able to get the nvidia driver back, so I went
>> and downloaded the nvidia 173. driver from nvidia's own site and
>> installed that. Now it works, but doesn't (and seemingly can't) start
>> on boot. I have to go in and sudo insmod to get the module to load.

You need to get the Ubuntu nVidia driver which can be done with
Sympatic file manager. You d/l it and it should fix your problem.

Depending on what really happened when your computer lost all those
files, it might be better to just re-load Hardy on top of the broken
one. If you use this method you will not need to find the nVidia files.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

"David Fox" 08-03-2008 04:49 PM

intrepid and nvidia

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
> I installed linux-restricted-modules -
>
> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.26-5-generic/2.6.26-5.11
>
> shouldn't that do it?

Should be enough. But I did it the debian way, and got the nvidia-*
stuff and did the module assistant stuff manually. Worked a treat the
first time I installed Hardy 2 months ago, but didn't seem to work
when I wanted to get the nvidia stuff reinstalled.

I never tried the Envy stuff.

i tried to get it to work by reinstalling kernel-source,
kernel-common, and nvidia-glx for 169.12 (the driver I had before) and
it kept failing one way or another so I decided to bite the bullet and
install 173.09 from nvidia. Of course, I had to have it build a module
that matched the kernel I was running (very important) and the module
built fine.

But I'm at the same stage as you are, it fails with modprobe, so it
won't get inserted on boot. So I don't get right into X and nvidia on
boot, the system goes into lowres mode and after I click on Continue,
I get my console back and can insmod the kernel object.

So, if modprobe fails, can you do:

$ sudo insmod insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ?

That will do the trick over here. Of course, you'll need to substitute
the path of the kernel you're running.

"David Fox" 08-03-2008 04:53 PM

intrepid and nvidia

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:

> Depending on what really happened when your computer lost all those
> files, it might be better to just re-load Hardy on top of the broken
> one. If you use this method you will not need to find the nVidia files.

I had what looks like to be filesystem corruption on /. This new
system seems to be less stable than it should be.

I didn't choose to reinstall because that would entail more work than
I was willing to do. Although I considered it, even considered moving
back to Debian in the process. But i figured I'd stick with it.

I got a package called debsums (upon advice of another list member)
and ran a few debsums reports, grepped out the ones that were OK, and
then systematically reinstalled the packages that didn't match.

Carl Karsten 08-03-2008 04:58 PM

intrepid and nvidia

David Fox wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
>> I installed linux-restricted-modules -
>>
>> https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/i386/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.26-5-generic/2.6.26-5.11
>>
>> shouldn't that do it?
>
> Should be enough. But I did it the debian way, and got the nvidia-*
> stuff and did the module assistant stuff manually. Worked a treat the
> first time I installed Hardy 2 months ago, but didn't seem to work
> when I wanted to get the nvidia stuff reinstalled.
>
> I never tried the Envy stuff.
>
> i tried to get it to work by reinstalling kernel-source,
> kernel-common, and nvidia-glx for 169.12 (the driver I had before) and
> it kept failing one way or another so I decided to bite the bullet and
> install 173.09 from nvidia. Of course, I had to have it build a module
> that matched the kernel I was running (very important) and the module
> built fine.
>
> But I'm at the same stage as you are, it fails with modprobe, so it
> won't get inserted on boot. So I don't get right into X and nvidia on
> boot, the system goes into lowres mode and after I click on Continue,
> I get my console back and can insmod the kernel object.
>
> So, if modprobe fails, can you do:
>
> $ sudo insmod insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia.ko ?
>
> That will do the trick over here. Of course, you'll need to substitute
> the path of the kernel you're running.

i think we are getting closer to figuring out why it doesn't 'just work'

carl@dv67:~$ sudo insmod
/lib/modules/2.6.26-5-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko
insmod: error inserting
'/lib/modules/2.6.26-5-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko': -1
Unknown symbol in module
carl@dv67:~$ uname -a
Linux dv67 2.6.26-5-generic #1 SMP Sat Jul 26 21:35:46 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

[ 767.655171] nvidiafb: Unknown symbol fb_ddc_read
[ 767.655279] nvidiafb: Unknown symbol i2c_bit_add_bus
[ 767.655537] nvidiafb: Unknown symbol save_vga
[ 767.655640] nvidiafb: Unknown symbol i2c_del_adapter
[ 767.655715] nvidiafb: Unknown symbol restore_vga

kernel team goof something?

Carl Karsten 08-03-2008 05:02 PM

intrepid and nvidia

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Carl Karsten wrote:
>> David Fox wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 6:19 PM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
>>>

>>> Recently, however, I had a system failure and had to reinstall a bunch
>>> of stuff.
> What was the system failure? Why did you need to re-install anything?
>

>>> I never was able to get the nvidia driver back, so I went
>>> and downloaded the nvidia 173. driver from nvidia's own site and
>>> installed that. Now it works, but doesn't (and seemingly can't) start
>>> on boot. I have to go in and sudo insmod to get the module to load.
>>>

> You need to get the Ubuntu nVidia driver which can be done with
> Sympatic file manager. You d/l it and it should fix your problem.
>

> Depending on what really happened when your computer lost all those
> files, it might be better to just re-load Hardy on top of the broken
> one. If you use this method you will not need to find the nVidia files.
>
> Karl

Um... which one of us are you trying to help?

Carl K