Old 08-03-2008, 05:03 PM
Karl Larsen

Default intrepid and nvidia

David Fox wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:46 AM, Karl Larsen <k5di@zianet.com> wrote:
>

>> Depending on what really happened when your computer lost all those
>> files, it might be better to just re-load Hardy on top of the broken
>> one. If you use this method you will not need to find the nVidia files.
>>

> I had what looks like to be filesystem corruption on /. This new
> system seems to be less stable than it should be.

Did you do something to cause the corruption? Either way at this
point I would back up any important things on your 4 months of using
this system, and then I would put a new file system on the partition and
note any problems. If no problems then reload Hardy and enjoy.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
"David Fox"

On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM, Carl Karsten <carl@personnelware.com> wrote:
> i think we are getting closer to figuring out why it doesn't 'just work'
>
> carl@dv67:~$ sudo insmod
> /lib/modules/2.6.26-5-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko
> insmod: error inserting
> '/lib/modules/2.6.26-5-generic/kernel/drivers/video/nvidia/nvidiafb.ko': -1
> Unknown symbol in module

It could be a packaging bug. Wajig tells me that file is provided by
the corresponding linux-image package, not by nvidia or
restricted-modules or what have you.

On my system, nvidiafb is not insmoded or loaded. I never did it that way.