Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Karl Larsen

Default odd things

I just looked and found something new.

karl@karl-hardy:~$ df
/dev/sda6 7753836 3272640 4090420 45% /
varrun 484656 108 484548 1% /var/run
varlock 484656 0 484656 0% /var/lock
udev 484656 72 484584 1% /dev
devshm 484656 60 484596 1% /dev/shm
lrm 484656 39760 444896 9%
/lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
/dev/sda5 19236308 9077944 9181212 50% /home
gvfs-fuse-daemon 7753836 3272640 4090420 45% /home/karl/.gvfs

Notice that /dev/sad6 and gvfs-fuse-daemon have exactly the same size
but one is mounted on / and the other is /home/karl/.gvfs which is wierd
since .gvfs is an empty directory.

What is the gvfs-fuse-daemon?

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-02-2008, 09:36 PM
Wade Smart

Karl Larsen wrote:
> I just looked and found something new.
>
> karl@karl-hardy:~$ df
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sda6 7753836 3272640 4090420 45% /
> varrun 484656 108 484548 1% /var/run
> varlock 484656 0 484656 0% /var/lock
> udev 484656 72 484584 1% /dev
> devshm 484656 60 484596 1% /dev/shm
> lrm 484656 39760 444896 9%
> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
> /dev/sda5 19236308 9077944 9181212 50% /home
> gvfs-fuse-daemon 7753836 3272640 4090420 45% /home/karl/.gvfs
>
> Notice that /dev/sad6 and gvfs-fuse-daemon have exactly the same size
> but one is mounted on / and the other is /home/karl/.gvfs which is wierd
> since .gvfs is an empty directory.
>
> What is the gvfs-fuse-daemon?
>
> Karl

20080802 1636 GMT-6

From the forums:
"gvfs-fuse-daemon mounts your network connections as local file systems. The
.gvfs dir is where any mounted network/other file systems are stored."

And:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS

Wade

Old 08-02-2008, 09:39 PM
Davide Corio

Il giorno sab, 02/08/2008 alle 15.31 -0600, Karl Larsen ha scritto:
> Notice that /dev/sad6 and gvfs-fuse-daemon have exactly the same size
> but one is mounted on / and the other is /home/karl/.gvfs which is wierd
> since .gvfs is an empty directory.
>
> What is the gvfs-fuse-daemon?

it's everything ok

gvfs is the new gnome-virtual-filesystem , which is responsible to mount
remote fs like samba shares.
Fuse is a driver (and daemon) used by gvfs to mount remote fs via ssh,
ftp, webdav or other protocols.

--
Davide Corio
email: davide.corio<at>domsense.com

Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Markus Schönhaber

Karl Larsen wrote:

> I just looked and found something new.

No, you didn't.

> What is the gvfs-fuse-daemon?

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-June/150551.html

Regards
mks

Old 08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Karl Larsen

Wade Smart wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>
>> I just looked and found something new.
>>
>> karl@karl-hardy:~$ df
>> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
>> /dev/sda6 7753836 3272640 4090420 45% /
>> varrun 484656 108 484548 1% /var/run
>> varlock 484656 0 484656 0% /var/lock
>> udev 484656 72 484584 1% /dev
>> devshm 484656 60 484596 1% /dev/shm
>> lrm 484656 39760 444896 9%
>> /lib/modules/2.6.24-19-generic/volatile
>> /dev/sda5 19236308 9077944 9181212 50% /home
>> gvfs-fuse-daemon 7753836 3272640 4090420 45% /home/karl/.gvfs
>>
>> Notice that /dev/sad6 and gvfs-fuse-daemon have exactly the same size
>> but one is mounted on / and the other is /home/karl/.gvfs which is wierd
>> since .gvfs is an empty directory.
>>
>> What is the gvfs-fuse-daemon?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> 20080802 1636 GMT-6
>
> From the forums:
> "gvfs-fuse-daemon mounts your network connections as local file systems. The
> .gvfs dir is where any mounted network/other file systems are stored."
>
> And:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GVFS
>
> Wade

Thanks for the reference but it didn't help much. It seems FUSE is a
kernel driver and gvfs is a virtual file sytem. And all this is odd
things to me. Sorry I asked :-)

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 PM
Davide Corio

Il giorno sab, 02/08/2008 alle 15.47 -0600, Karl Larsen ha scritto:
> Thanks for the reference but it didn't help much. It seems FUSE is a
> kernel driver and gvfs is a virtual file sytem. And all this is odd
> things to me. Sorry I asked :-)

that's not so odd, because you need a driver to manage a filesystem.

Old 08-03-2008, 01:13 AM
Bart Silverstrim

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Thanks for the reference but it didn't help much. It seems FUSE is a
> kernel driver and gvfs is a virtual file sytem. And all this is odd
> things to me. Sorry I asked :-)

Try the Wiki entry on FUSE
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace)

There's a lot of tech stuff in there, but basically it's a way to
implement filesystem drivers without running privileged (root) code.

There's a lot of cool stuff done using FUSE...for example, mounting your
gmail account space as a directory, and one I've used is to mount a
remote directory using SSH so if you have a home system with SSHD
running you can "mount" your home directory at your house as another
directory on a remote computer.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Karl Larsen

Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> Karl Larsen wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the reference but it didn't help much. It seems FUSE is a
>> kernel driver and gvfs is a virtual file sytem. And all this is odd
>> things to me. Sorry I asked :-)
>>

> Try the Wiki entry on FUSE
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace)
>
> There's a lot of tech stuff in there, but basically it's a way to
> implement filesystem drivers without running privileged (root) code.
>
> There's a lot of cool stuff done using FUSE...for example, mounting your
> gmail account space as a directory, and one I've used is to mount a
> remote directory using SSH so if you have a home system with SSHD
> running you can "mount" your home directory at your house as another
> directory on a remote computer.

Well I have done ssh back when you needed a password and it seemed
to work just fine. But you did need to know your IP numbers that were
hard to remember. It seems there is some complexity growing from the
Ubuntu urge to remove the root password.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Leo Cacciari

Il giorno dom, 03/08/2008 alle 04.54 -0600, Karl Larsen ha scritto:
> Bart Silverstrim wrote:
> > Karl Larsen wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks for the reference but it didn't help much. It seems FUSE is a
> >> kernel driver and gvfs is a virtual file sytem. And all this is odd
> >> things to me. Sorry I asked :-)
> >>

> > Try the Wiki entry on FUSE
> > (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_in_Userspace)
> >
> > There's a lot of tech stuff in there, but basically it's a way to
> > implement filesystem drivers without running privileged (root) code.
> >
> > There's a lot of cool stuff done using FUSE...for example, mounting your
> > gmail account space as a directory, and one I've used is to mount a
> > remote directory using SSH so if you have a home system with SSHD
> > running you can "mount" your home directory at your house as another
> > directory on a remote computer.
> >

> Well I have done ssh back when you needed a password and it seemed
> to work just fine. But you did need to know your IP numbers that were
> hard to remember. It seems there is some complexity growing from the
> Ubuntu urge to remove the root password.

Karl,
that has nothing to do with it. FUSE is usefull, not just for that.
For instance it allows to handle cryptographic file systems, it is the
only way I know to access NTFS filesystem both for reading and writing
and so on.
Moreover, gvfs is useful as it is, as far from all linux systems are
single user system. Without it, you'll need to give root rights to every
user willing to access windows shares and the like.

--
Leo Cacciari

Old 08-03-2008, 01:49 PM
Derek Broughton

Karl Larsen wrote:

> Well I have done ssh back when you needed a password and it seemed
> to work just fine. But you did need to know your IP numbers that were
> hard to remember. It seems there is some complexity growing from the
> Ubuntu urge to remove the root password.

What on _earth_ does removing the root password have to do with this? Not a
thing.
--
derek