Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Noah

Default WDC mybook and /etc/passwd

Hi there,

I backup my ubuntu systems to a WDC mybook. I am trying to figure out
why I can no longer ssh to the box. After a bit of review I find that
my /etc/shadow is empty.

I added a new user.

Now my /etc/passwd is empty with the only one user - the recently added
user.

I still cant ssh to my mybook.

what is a suggested cure here please.

Cheers,

Noah

Old 08-02-2008, 08:03 PM
"Brian McKee"

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 3:49 PM, Noah <admin2@enabled.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I backup my ubuntu systems to a WDC mybook. I am trying to figure out
> why I can no longer ssh to the box.

Hi Noah
I'm having trouble piecing together the series of events.

Did you -
backup to an external drive
restore from that drive
then find out the /etc/password file is empty after the restore? or
/etc/shadow?

I can't quite make out what you are trying to say.

/etc/password and /etc/shadow shouldn't be empty as in blank....
Although I haven't tried, I can't see it completing boot up that way -
forget allowing ssh in.

Brian

Old 08-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Noah

I have not rebooted yet at the moment.

so they went blank in the mean time.

as in single line entry

there is no back up of the files.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:39 PM
Noah

Hi,

ah okay I see what is going on here.
my rootfs is full.

Anybody have some recommendations on what to remove?

rootfs 2.8G 2.8G 0 100% /
/dev/root 2.8G 2.8G 0 100% /

cheers,

Noah

Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 PM
Karl Larsen

Noah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> ah okay I see what is going on here.
> my rootfs is full.
>
> Anybody have some recommendations on what to remove?

> rootfs 2.8G 2.8G 0 100% /
> /dev/root 2.8G 2.8G 0 100% /
>
> cheers,
>
> Noah
>

> Noah wrote:
>
>> I have not rebooted yet at the moment.
>>
>> so they went blank in the mean time.
>>
>> as in single line entry
>>
>> there is no back up of the files.
>>

>> Brian McKee wrote:

>>> Hi Noah
>>> I'm having trouble piecing together the series of events.
>>>
>>> Did you -
>>> backup to an external drive
>>> restore from that drive
>>> then find out the /etc/password file is empty after the restore? or
>>> /etc/shadow?
>>>
>>> I can't quite make out what you are trying to say.
>>>
>>> /etc/password and /etc/shadow shouldn't be empty as in blank....
>>> Although I haven't tried, I can't see it completing boot up that way -
>>> forget allowing ssh in.
>>>
>>> Brian

I would put /home/myname in another partition. And then fix
/etc/fstab to pick it up when booting.

Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI