Old 08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
"dave selby"

Default connecting to localhost while off line

Hi All,

I cannot get access to my localhost when I am off line. Googleing
you have to amend /etc/hosts which I have done (my system name is
dev-system) but this has still not resolved my problem.

my /etc/hosts file is now ...

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system
127.0.0.1 localhost dev-system

127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 dev-system

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Can anyone help ?

Cheers

Dave

Old 08-02-2008, 07:06 PM
nstone

dave selby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I cannot get access to my localhost when I am off line. Googleing
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/36754
> you have to amend /etc/hosts which I have done (my system name is
> dev-system) but this has still not resolved my problem.
>
> my /etc/hosts file is now ...
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system
> 127.0.0.1 localhost dev-system
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 dev-system

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> Can anyone help ?

you only need the one line

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system

what happens when you "ping dev-system" ?

Old 08-02-2008, 07:30 PM
"dave selby"

> you only need the one line
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system

That sorted it

Cheers

Dave

Old 08-02-2008, 08:25 PM
Derek Broughton

dave selby wrote:

> I cannot get access to my localhost when I am off line. Googleing
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/36754
> you have to amend /etc/hosts which I have done (my system name is
> dev-system) but this has still not resolved my problem.

Arg. My biggest and longest standing complaint about Kubuntu, but I didn't
think it applied to ubuntu, in that it's usually only an issue with
Konqueror. Konqueror has some $%^&*( annoying interaction with avahi which
basically argues that you can't possibly have running servers if you don't
have a network.

So I have to wonder what exactly it is that you can't access. What _ports_?
Have you tried accessing those ports via telnet?

> my /etc/hosts file is now ...
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system
> 127.0.0.1 localhost dev-system
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 dev-system

There's a lot of redundancy there. You really shouldn't have three lines
for localhost, and you can't give "dev-system" two different IPs (well,
obviously you _did_, but only one will resolve) .

I'd delete "dev-system" from the first line, remove the second and third (of
the lines that actually have contents), and keep the fourth.
Putting "dev-system" on a different IP from 127.0.0.1 is just a matter of
preference.

Mine looks like:
$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost
127.0.1.1 bella.pointerstop.ca bella
127.0.2.1 nagisa.pointerstop.ca nagisa
127.0.2.2 plonevdc.pointerstop.ca plonevdc
127.0.2.3 nagisa2.pointerstop.ca nagisa2

Where "bella" is my machine's real name (depending which network I'm
connected to, my external name will be "bella.pointerstop.ca"
or "bella.some-other-domain"); nagisa, plonevdc, and nagisa2 are projects
I'm working on, and I like them to resolve to different addresses for my
apache development server to be able to treat them as virtual hosts.
--
derek

Old 08-02-2008, 11:24 PM
NoOp

On 08/02/2008 12:03 PM, dave selby wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I cannot get access to my localhost when I am off line. Googleing
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/36754
> you have to amend /etc/hosts which I have done (my system name is
> dev-system) but this has still not resolved my problem.
>
> my /etc/hosts file is now ...
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost dev-system
> 127.0.0.1 localhost dev-system
>
> 127.0.0.1 localhost
> 127.0.1.1 dev-system

> ::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
> fe00::0 ip6-localnet
> ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
> ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
> ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
> ff02::3 ip6-allhosts
>
> Can anyone help ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dave

Modify to:

127.0.0.1 localhost dev-system.<localdomain>
127.0.1.1 dev-system

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

Where .<localdomain> is by default mshome for Ubuntu. If you wish to use
the windows default this would be 'workgroup'. You can eliminate
.<localdomain> altogether if you do not plan to use Samba for sharing.

The reason for keeping the 127.0.1.1 entry is to assist in speeding up
the boot process if you have no network connected at boot time.